Chapter 86

The writing implements and tea cups on the desk crashed to the ground with a loud "clatter," ink splattering and shards scattering, leaving a messy scene.

Chu Mingyun's gaze turned fierce, his tightened fingers making a slight sound. "Open the city gates to welcome them," he uttered each word through gritted teeth. "Those are the troops of the Xiongnu! Has Li Chenghua gone mad? Are the others following him into madness?"

He coldly chuckled, "No wonder Li Chenghua didn't simply poison Li Yanzhen. It turns out he was waiting for me to commit regicide, so he could rightfully restore himself to the throne."

"After receiving the news, Zhou Yi has been preparing. It probably won't be long before the conflict breaks out," Qin Zhao stood to the side, a hint of worry appearing on his usually expressionless face. "The suppressed forces in the capital are also stirring. If Li Chenghua truly reaches Chang'an, there might be internal turmoil."

Chu Mingyun furrowed his brows but remained silent.

After a brief silence, Qin Zhao said, "Brother, too many people have died in these past few days."

"They brought it upon themselves."

"But..."

"Do you want me to appease those nobles, compromise with them, and retract the decrees just to maintain stability? Allow them to do as they please as if nothing happened?" Chu Mingyun glanced at him. "Then, what's the difference between me and Li Yanzhen?"

Qin Zhao sighed, speaking softly, "Brother, everyone outside hates you now. What you've done, no one understands..."

"I don't need anyone to understand." Chu Mingyun abruptly cut him off, his eyes filled with coldness. He shifted his gaze back to the imperial jade seal at the corner of the desk, slowly laughing. "An incompetent ruler, a tyrant, a despot?" He reached for the jade seal, lifting it and examining it. The malicious, disdainful smile finally turned into a mocking laugh. "This world—what has become of it?"

Qin Zhao subconsciously moved to protect the jade seal, but in an instant, Chu Mingyun glanced at him. "What are you panicking about? I haven't decided to throw it away yet." After putting the jade seal back on the desk, Chu Mingyun paused and suddenly asked, "How is he?"

Qin Zhao hesitated for a moment, then realized who he was referring to. "Su Shiyu hasn't come out of the ancestral hall yet. No movements, but the shadow guards reported that Minister of Justice Lu Shi visited the Su residence."

Chu Mingyun's eyes flickered slightly. Lowering his gaze, he remained silent.

A jug of wine was heavily placed on the table, and Du Yue pushed Su Bai onto a chair, saying, "Come on, let's drown our sorrows! One drink dispels a thousand worries!"

Su Bai felt uneasy, glancing outside, thinking of standing up. "Young Master, maybe you should find someone else."

Du Yue widened his eyes, "Why? You look down on me and don't want to accompany me?"

"Of course not," Su Bai shook his head, "My tolerance for alcohol is low, and my father doesn't allow me to drink."

Du Yue smiled satisfactorily, holding two cups and shoving them into Su Bai's hands. "Then, you should drink even more."

"But I still need to..."

"But what?" Du Yue forcefully poured two cups of wine, handing one to Su Bai. "Your family's shrine needs you to watch over it. What's your father afraid of? If he bullies you, I'll stand up for you!"

Su Bai reluctantly looked at him for a while. Seeing his determined appearance, he could only say, "Well, alright."

Du Yue smiled in satisfaction. He didn't believe he could get Su Bai drunk. Although he was also a lightweight, he had coated the inside of his own cup with a sobering medicine. After two or three cups, Su Bai's face turned red, and he slumped onto the table. Du Yue, seeing his drunken state, was about to stand up. Suddenly, Su Bai reached out and grabbed his sleeve. Du Yue, surprised, turned to look at Su Bai, who still appeared drunk, but his expression seemed tangled and low-spirited. Mumbling something incomprehensible.