Chapter 74

The Qianqiu Festival, an occasion marking the emperor's birthday, symbolizes wishes for long life and eternal reign. The Li Palace, nestled at the northern base of Mount Li, with its Guidi Palace perched against the mountainside, shimmered even more splendidly amidst the autumn's fading greens, accentuating the vibrant colors of the flying pavilions and flowing vermilions. This evening's banquet, as Li Yanzhen had described, was refreshingly unconventional. Instead of the usual palace setting, it unfolded beneath the open sky, overlooking a serene blue lake that offered a breathtaking view of Mount Li. Yet, in essence, it was just a change of venue for indulging in revelry, music, and dance.

The melodious strains of music filled the air, casting an enchanting spell over the starlit night. Jiang Zhaoyi, still favored, accompanied Li Yanzhen, casting a glance below before smiling and remarking, "I've heard that the court has specially choreographed a new dance for Your Majesty. Now, it seems truly extraordinary."

Li Yanzhen, still in a haze of wine and drowsiness, voiced a question.

Jiang Yuan lifted her chin slightly. "Indeed."

Suddenly, the mellifluous music took a poignant turn, instantly dispelling Li Yanzhen's stupor as she witnessed a mesmerizing sight that elicited astonished murmurs from the guests.

The dancers in their crimson attire had silently made way, revealing a lone figure in white behind them. Clad in robes as pure as snow, she stood gracefully upon the water's surface, her movements reminiscent of delicate lotus blossoms swaying in the breeze. With bare feet skimming the water, each step she took sent ripples cascading across the lake's surface, gently wetting the hem of her dress. Her dance exuded an irresistible allure, yet her countenance remained ethereal and captivating. Suddenly, she turned her head, flashing a radiant smile like a nymph bewitching those who beheld her.

Chu Mingyun stole a brief glance before losing interest and withdrawing his gaze. While others were left dumbfounded, he discerned the intricacies with ease: beneath the tranquil surface of the lake, stone slabs had been discreetly laid, a few inches below the water level, creating the illusion that the dancers were gracefully gliding upon the water's surface.

Chu Mingyun held a jade cup in one hand, propping his chin with the other, his gaze involuntarily and naturally drifting to Su Shiyu sitting opposite him. Su Shiyu tilted his head slightly, like everyone else, gazing at the dancer with an expression as indifferent as ever, devoid of any hint of admiration or joy. Or perhaps, his emotions always remained so subtle, barely detectable in his demeanor. Even though Chu Mingyun was so close, he couldn't fathom what was going on in his mind.

His fingers unconsciously traced the rim of the cup as Chu Mingyun watched the warm glow of the lamps illuminate Su Shiyu's ink-dark eyes, casting a trace of shadow along his fair neck, each inch a testament to past kisses and caresses.

Su Shiyu turned his head, inadvertently meeting Chu Mingyun's gaze across the distance. He hesitated for a moment, then turned away, his expression faintly avoiding.

Chu Mingyun tightened his grip on the jade cup, silently draining its contents.

In the blink of an eye, the dance had ended, and the dancer in white stepped onto a embroidered carpet, tiny droplets still sliding off her feet. She bowed gracefully, about to speak some words of blessing when suddenly, a deafening rumble echoed from nearby, as if thunder had struck, shaking the ground beneath their feet and causing the lake to ripple violently. Then, the mountains of Mount Li collapsed, everyone watching in horror as the trees near the palace quickly fell, followed by a cascading avalanche of rocks and earth, as if a beast imprisoned within the mountain had broken free, roaring and howling, hurling debris and rubble in its wake, instantly demolishing the buildings and rushing forward with unstoppable force.