Chapter 43

As the moon sets and the sun rises, regardless of who spends the night in contemplation, the break of dawn compels all to set aside their worries and prepare for the day's festivities. The Emperor of Daxia, Li Yanzhen, well-versed in the refined arts, had outdone himself in organizing this outdoor banquet. Amid the melodies of flutes and strings, falling petals danced in the air, and dancers moved gracefully to the music, their steps stirring up fragrant dust that attracted colorful butterflies. The scene was further enhanced by jade cups filled with exquisite wine, which seemed to draw the meandering streams to them.

The seats of the Grand Commandant and the Imperial Censor were traditionally situated at the head of the gathering. Chu Mingyun, resting his chin in one hand, locked eyes with Su Shiyu, who offered nothing more than a faint smile before lowering his gaze to his drink, showing no sign of difference from his usual demeanor.

It was a moment as tranquil as it was devoid of displeasure. Had it not been for the clear memory of Su Shiyu turning his head away, reluctant to spare Chu Mingyun an additional glance, Chu might have mistaken the previous night's events for a mere figment of his intoxicated imagination. Perhaps Su was pondering over the notion of 'no need for concern,' which might explain his lack of reaction. Chu Mingyun, picking up a wine cup that gently floated towards him, couldn't help but frown slightly.

As one melody concluded and the musicians had yet to continue, a heavy sigh suddenly filled the brief silence, making it notably prominent.

The guests instinctively turned their gaze toward the seat of the Hunnic envoy.

Li Yanzhen also looked in that direction and inquired, "Why does the Ninth Prince sigh? Is there dissatisfaction with the hospitality?"

Yuwen Jun stood up and faced Li Yanzhen, bowing before speaking, "Your Majesty, your hospitality is nothing short of generous; dissatisfaction is far from my mind." He glanced over the attendees before sighing again, "I merely feel that the customs of your noble country greatly differ from those of the Huns, which inevitably brings some sentimentality."

"Sentimentality?" Li Yanzhen was perplexed. "Feel free to share your thoughts."

"This is our first visit, and we are not well-acquainted with your customs. It just seems that excessive indulgence in fine wine and cuisine lacks appeal, and the constant music and dance are somewhat dull. I was looking forward to experiencing your horseback archery during the spring hunt, perhaps even challenging a formidable opponent. However, it appears that feasting and merriment prevail here as well." Yuwen Jun chuckled, then added, "Upon closer observation, everyone here appears so refined that they hardly seem adept at riding or archery. It must be that peace within the nation negates the need for such coarse skills. Unlike our lands, where survival necessitates learning these arduous tasks, the contrast truly evokes my envy."

His words were coated with flattery, yet his tone dripped with calculated sarcasm. The atmosphere chilled instantly as he finished speaking.

Chu Mingyun turned to look and offered, "If the Prince wishes to spar, I am willing to oblige."

Yuwen Jun waved his hand, laughing, "General Chu's formidable reputation on the battlefield is known to all. Even though I pride myself on my archery, I've never experienced war. Seeking an opponent for amusement is one thing, but to compete with you would leave me no chance but to lose, which would be rather dull."

"If you dare not compete, what purpose do your words serve?" Chu Mingyun responded coolly.

Yuwen Jun, unflustered, admitted, "I concede, and there's no shame in that. Thus, my lamentation: besides General Chu, it seems there are no other worthy contenders here, which is indeed dull."