With a nonchalant laugh, Chu Mingyun stood up without disturbing anyone and followed her out of the hall.

Walking along, they passed through branches to the Taiye Pool, where a woman in scarlet stood by the extensive water. Seeing him approach, she smiled gently, "I thought you might not come."

The guiding maid tactfully withdrew, leaving only them by the pool. Chu Mingyun bowed, "Lady Zhao Yi has summoned me, how could I not come? But may I know the reason?"

Jiang Yuan looked at him, saying, "It's nothing urgent, just that it's rare to have a chance to see you today, I couldn't help myself."
"Speak plainly," he replied.
Jiang Yuan turned away, gazing at the koi surfacing in the Tai

ye Pool, slowly said, "You are a great general, renowned throughout the court, the secret yearning of many maidens' hearts, myself included... It's just a pity that now I am in the palace, I likely have no chance with you in this life."
Chu Mingyun chuckled lowly, "That trick is old." He had used this tactic of feigning romantic interest to extract favors before, even on Su Shiyu half a year ago.
"What?" Jiang Yuan turned back, not catching his drift.
"Never mind," Chu Mingyun said, "Since there's no fate between us, why bother calling me here?"
She stepped closer, "That's why I said... I couldn't help myself."
Chu Mingyun looked down at her as no one was around, dropping formalities, "Have you not heard that I now prefer the company of men?"
Jiang Yuan lowered her head slightly, "I have heard, but admiration isn't easily dismissed."
Chu Mingyun laughed, lifting her chin to face him, his voice lowered, "Are you then looking to become intimate with me?"
He caught the fleeting panic in Jiang Yuan's eyes. Her fingernails dug into her palm as she forced herself to meet his gaze, "My lord..."
"I indeed had beautiful women in my household, but they're different from you," Chu Mingyun interrupted her, letting go of her chin.
Jiang Yuan bowed her head, steadied herself before asking, "How are they different?"
"They—" Chu Mingyun glanced at her, "had breasts."
Jiang Yuan was stunned, then composed herself after a deep breath.
Chu Mingyun blandly bowed, "I shall take my leave."
Jiang Yuan, startled, hastily grabbed him, "Please wait, my lord!"
Chu Mingyun turned to face her as Jiang Yuan let go of his arm, pulling out an exquisitely embroidered sachet from her sleeve and pressing it into his hand, "I came today solely to give this sachet to you."
"Can I refuse it?" Chu Mingyun asked.
In the distance behind him, a figure in purple paused, seemingly noticing them, then silently departed. Jiang Yuan sighed in relief, "It's a token of my feelings, please accept it." Without further words, she bowed to Chu Mingyun and walked away.
Chu Mingyun weighed the sachet, noticing its heft, and promptly tore it open. Amidst the spices, he glimpsed a corner of bronze. He pulled out a key, pondered for a moment, then replaced the key and casually tossed the sachet into the pool.
With a 'plunk', the sachet sank to the bottom.

When Chu Mingyun returned to the hall, the ministers were already deep in their cups, buzzing with intoxication, and Jiang Yuan was accompanying Li Yanzhen by his side. Chu Mingyun glanced around, noticing that the people beside Su Shiyu had dispersed, and casually walked over to sit down, “Minister Su, could you join me for a few more drinks?”

Su Shiyu turned his face to look at him, his expression sober but hesitant to speak.

“What's the matter?” Chu asked.

Su Shiyu lowered his voice, “You…”

Suddenly, the captain of the guards entered the hall, hurriedly walking through the ministers to kneel in the center, “Your Majesty, the Tianlu Pavilion has been burgled!”

The ministers sobered up considerably at this news, and Li Yanzhen, supporting his forehead and still somewhat disoriented, asked, “What happened?”

“The Tianlu Pavilion was burgled! The guards discovered it after they had been knocked unconscious. The two keys to the pavilion are missing, and the archived documents have been tampered with!”