"…" Chu Mingyun unfolded his fan to cover his face, holding his robe with one hand, sighing softly, "I didn't expect Lord Su to insist on sharing a room with me. Well, I shall oblige then."

"…" Su Shiyu said, "Let's go downstairs for dinner."

The guests downstairs had thinned out, making it quieter. After the server served their meal and yawned away, the inn quieted down to just the sound of drinking.

Suddenly remembering something, Chu Mingyun swallowed his tea and said, "Right, the newly appointed Right Assistant Minister of Fengzhou, Su Hang, what's his relation to you?"

"He's my uncle."

"Your biological uncle?"

"Yes," Su Shiyu said, "my father was the eldest, followed by my uncle, and Ayue's mother was the youngest."

"But I remember it was your father, Su Jue's, idea to demote Su Hang without much discussion," Chu Mingyun inquired.

"Indeed, that's true," Su Shiyu pondered, "but as to the exact reason, I'm still not quite clear. I only know that some disagreements arose between my father and uncle afterward. Since then, my uncle has been in Zhenjiang, and we've had little contact over the years. When my parents passed away due to illness, he couldn't come, only sending a mourning letter through my aunt."

Chu Mingyun, feeling it inappropriate to comment on another's family matters, simply nodded without further comment.

As the night deepened, the inn fell into complete silence. Chu Mingyun and Su Shiyu also stood quietly beside the bed for a long time, neither making a move.

Although they had decided and prepared for sharing a bed, the actual moment brought an inevitable discomfort. After a long silence, Chu Mingyun spoke up again, pointing at the bed, "Lord Su, how do you think... we should arrange this?"

Su Shiyu withdrew his gaze, trying to sound indifferent, "How I've shared a bed with others in the past, we can do the same now. There's no need to overthink it."

"But I've only slept with women before," Chu Mingyun laughed, "They usually curl up in my arms. So, Lord Su, will you also...?" He left the sentence unfinished, his eyebrows slightly raised, his smile carrying a somewhat meaningful look.

"..." Su Shiyu gave him a deep look, then turned away and sighed, drawing an imaginary line in the air, "I usually wake up early, so you sleep on the inside."

Chu Mingyun agreed without objection.

To think that after years of being adversaries, barely exchanging a few words over the years, they would now share a room, undressing and letting down their hair, showed how unpredictable and indescribable the world could be.

But the hands that removed the outer robes hesitated to go further. Chu Mingyun and Su Shiyu shared a silent glance, blew out the light, and lay down fully clothed. An indescribable awkwardness enveloped the entire room.

Chu Mingyun, who always found it difficult to fall asleep, was even more restless with another person beside him. Time passed, yet his mind remained clear. Just as he was about to get up quietly, not wanting to disturb Su Shiyu, he suddenly smelled a faint fragrance.

A hint of light, mild fragrance lingered at the tip of his nose, like flowers silently blooming under the night sky. He concentrated for a moment to identify it—it was the scent of calming incense. Chu Mingyun slightly leaned in towards Su Shiyu's direction, indeed smelling a clearer scent. It was calming and soothing, smoothing over one's emotions, still bringing warmth and moistness into the cool night, slowly seeping into the night.