Risk It All Part 5

Reader gets pregnant by Ruben. Although the two are not together Ruben promises to support her through the pregnancy, eventually letting reader stay with him until the child is born. (This fic includes alot of angst and serious topics) 

Enjoy!

"Look at this one, isn't it cute?" You asked Ruben this, holding up a adorable little baby onesie. However, Ruben took one look at it and crinkled his nose. "Too pink." He muttered.

"Um, okay..." You put it back where you found it and followed Ruben down the aisle. It was a small shop in uptown Manchester that sold all the essentials for a newborn baby. You had begged Ruben to take you there for months and finally, on his day off, he did.

"How about this one?" You asked, holding up another onesie you found. It had patterns of baby elephants on them which you found lovely. Ruben however...

"Too blue." He grunted.

"Ruben?" You had enough of his foul mood. "If something is wrong just say it."

His eyes widened in suprise. "Y/N, I'm....I didn't mean to upset you."

"Well you did." You mumbled. "By not wanting to pick out any clothes for our baby."

He sighed, but stopped pushing the shopping cart, turning around to approch you. "I'm sorry okay." He pulled you in for a hug, tight and warm. Your arms barley reached around his waist. "Now, will you tell me what's bothering you?" You asked, because clearly something was.

"Nothing is bothering me. It's just that..."

"Yes?"

Your hug faded as he let you go. "It's just that..."

"Please Ruben, tell me."

He sighed once again. "The baby is due any day Y/N, and here I am off to training camp miles away from you."

It was true. Ruben and his team were leaving for a mid season training camp somwhere in Saudiarabia. However, you had no idea that he had doubts about going.

"Ruben." You said, in your most reassuring voice. "Yes, the doctors say that the baby is due any day. But that doesn't mean tomorrow or the day after that. It could be weeks from now and you're only leaving for a few days."

"Yes, I know but...." He pulled you in for another hug, this one even tighter. "I don't want to leave you alone."

"I won't be alone." You murmured into his shirt. You tiled your head up, resting your chin against the center of his torso. "Lina will be with me."

"Right, Lina..." Ruben hands went to each side of your face, cradling your head in his hands as he bent down to kiss your lips. He briefly pulled back, only to go in for another kiss and another, repeating the act until you giggled against his mouth. "I promise you Ruben, we'll be fine. You enjoy the training camp with your team."

********************************************

"So have you settled for any names yet?" Lina said, taking a swing of her glass of wine. She came by once a day to check on you whilst Ruben was away. She brought her own wine bottles since Ruben neither drank or kept any alcohol in the house.

"No, actually." You replied.

"No?"

"Ruben says It's bad luck."

"I bet he does." Lina chuckled. "Does he also make you drink those green smoothies every morning?"

"It's good for the baby." You blushed. But perhaps Ruben was a bit extravagant when it came to yours and the baby's general health. "At least he cares."

"You got me there." Lina said, putting down her glass. "I'll have to admit that I was wrong about him, he really does love you."

"I wouldn't say love." You mumbled, to which Lina frowned. "I mean he hasn't said those words exactly. I think it's more him, caring for me as the mother of his unborn child. He might not be as attached to me once she's born."

"So you have doubts?" Lina nodded, trying, but failing to judge you for it. She might have judged you less if she was aware of the agreement between you and Ruben, however Elena made you sign an NDA preventing you to tell anyone about it even long after the baby is born. "I just want what's best for my baby." You said indicating that she should drop the subject. Lina did so gladly as her phone buzzed, indicating that your food had arrived downstairs.

"Can I get it." You offered, since sitting still did nothing for your swollen feet.

"Sure thing hun, I'll start setting the table."

You made your way out of the apartment, moving slowly towards the elevator since your swollen belly prevented you from doing anything at a normal pace. You once told Ruben what a nightmare it would be to take the stairs down, to which he had responded by shrugging his shoulders, saying "Maybe I'll buy a house one day." It was sweet of him, to dream of a future life with you and the baby. You hadn't allowed yourself to that, simply because of the nature of your agreement and how your marriage to Ruben was practically arranged.

"Fuck." You sighed, with your back against the elevator wall as you stepped into it. You were drenched in sweat just from that short walk and your heart was beating fast. Pressing on the button to take you downstairs, you realized that there was water running down your legs, creating a puddle around your feet. "Oh no." You gasped. But just then the elevator doors closed and not as smooth as they were supposed to, but with a violent jerk. The lights then flicked on and off as the elevator felt like it was descending, slower than usual.

"Aaahhh."

You gritted your teeth with your hands resting on your belly. There was a sudden pain deep down in your abdomen and now you were sure that you were experiencing your first contraction.

"Somebody, help!" You shouted, however the elevator had gone dark and no longer moving.

"Hello, Y/N, is that you?"

It was Lina's voice, heard somewhere above your head.

"Yes. The elevator stopped and I think I'm having ahhhhhhh." You screamed as the pain hit once again, sharper than the previous one.

"Oh my god. Are you....did your water break?"

"YES!" You were on the floor now, withdrawn into a corner, a dark corner since you failed to see anything beyond the lights surrounding the elevator buttons.

"Shit. I think there's been a power outage." Lina's muffled up voice said. "The whole building is dark. But don't worry, I'll go get help. Just keep breathing."

You breathed and breathed but couldn't help but to feel the walls closing down on you. It was happening, it was really happening. You were going to give birth to your baby alone, with Ruben miles and miles away from you.