Friends With Benefits Part 3

Summary - A six part series. Reader and Ruben have been in a friends with benefits situation for over three years now, with Reader eventually looking for something more serious. But what does Ruben want?

Enjoy!

You nervously adjusted your outfit in the mirror, heart pounding in your chest. Ruben just texted you to meet him at the American Psycho bar. After months of hesitation and mixed signals, you knew it was time to lay your cards on the table, all of the cards.

As you walked through the familiar door, you scanned the dimly lit room searching for Ruben. Your eyes finally landed on him, sitting at the bar, a drink in hand. He seemed to be deep in thought. You mustered up your courage and walked over to join him.

"Hey." You said, voice laced with both determination and vulnerability.

Ruben looked up, a hint of surprise evident in his eyes. "That was fast. I texted you like two minutes ago."

You usually, purposely, took an hour or two to respond.

Sitting down on the bar stool next to him, You studied his face, trying to decipher his emotions. "We need to talk, Ruben. It's important."

His brows furrowed in concern. "Okay, what's on your mind?"

Taking a deep breath, you looked into his eyes. "I need to know where we stand, Ruben. I'm tired of the uncertainty. I want us to take our relationship further. I want us to be committed to each other."

His eyes widened, clearly caught off guard by your straightforwardness. He took a moment to collect his thoughts before responding, a hint of a sigh in his voice. "Y/N, I care about you deeply, you know that. But we've been over this, I'm not looking for anything serious right now. And unless you can agree to that I'd only be keeping you on a very loose string.

You nodded your head. At least he was being honest with you.

Silence hung heavy between you, and you felt the weight of your ultimatum settling in the air.

"I just needed to know..." You said, swallowing the big lump in your throat. "...to be sure, because..."

"Y/N?" He frowned. "What's going on?" His hand was on your stool, spinning it around, making you face him.

You looked into Ruben's eyes, searching for sincerity. You saw the love and vulnerability mixed with his fear, he deserved to know the truth.

"Last week I..."

"Yes?"

"Last week I..."

"Y/N, you're scaring me."

You closed your eyes and sighed. "Ruben I had a pregnancy scare last week."

His eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"I was at work, feeling nauseous, and my period was late," You explained, voice tinged with anxiety. "I was terrified, Ruben. The thought of becoming a parent so suddenly scared me, I couldn't even think straight. However, I took the pregnancy test and...." You paused, taking a deep breath before continuing, "....it turned out negative."

Ruben's eyes widened in surprise, a smile slowly spreading across his face. "Negative? So, you're not pregnant?"

You nodded, a mixture of relief and disappointment flooding you. "No, Ruben, I'm not. I thought you deserved to know."

"Fuck me." He exhaled, running a hand through his wavy hair. "Way to give a guy a heart attack."

You rolled your eyes.

The air between you lightened. Ruben waved at the bartender, ordering you two rounds of tequila shots.

"We have to celebrate somehow."

He raised his shot glass, forcing you to do the same.

"Here's to freedom, cheers!"

"Cheers."

You downed the drink in one go, dropping the glass to squeeze lime juice into your mouth. Ruben did the same, pulling a funny face.

"So, tell me." He said, looking quite pleased with himself. "Those other guys you've been seeing, from those dating apps..."

"What about them?"

"How did they react when you told them about your pregnancy scare?"

"Oh." You said, quite dumbfounded.

Ruben cocked his head. "Did someone run for the hills? Trust me, I nearly did the same."

"I actually haven't told any of them." You blushed.

Ruben frowned. "Thought you said that they deserved to know?"

"No, I said that you deserved to know. You're the only one I've been with, Ruben."

"Without a condom you mean?"

Your pressed your lips together into a thin line, shaking your head.

Ruben's eyes search your face, trying to put two and two together. "But...haven't you gone on like ten dates with ten different guys by now?"

"Yes, but I haven't slept with any of them. I don't sleep with guys on the first date, or second for that matter."

"You slept with me on our first date?"

"That wasn't a date, Ruben. I met you at my best friend's birthday bash and we got drunk in a nightclub toilet stall."

"Good times." He smiled, forgetting himself a little.

"Bottom line is...I've only been with you, Ruben and that's why I thought you deserved to know."

"That you thought you got pregnant...by me." The realization seemed to hit him hard. Ruben turned his head in search of the bartender. "I need another drink."

You, on the other hand, had had enough for tonight.

"Where are you going?"

Ruben watched you gather your things, rising from your stool.

"I'm going home, Ruben." There was exhaustion in your tone. This whole pregnancy scare made you realize how much it took a toll on you, being involved with Ruben.

"Fine, I'll walk you."

"No.

Ruben froze.

"It's only ten minutes away."

"Yeah, but I thought we could..."

"No, Ruben. You thought wrong."

"Y/N?" His eyebrows furrowed. "What's gotten into you lately. I mean I get it, last week most have been..."

"No, Ruben, you don't get it. You don't get anything." Something welled up in your throat. Something heavy, that made your voice shake. "I can't do this anymore." You said.

"Do what?"

"This." You gestured vividly between you. "I can't do this anymore, Ruben. I can't be your friend with stupid benefits."

"Y/N. " He stood. "I thought we agreed that..."

"Well, I can't agree to it anymore." You felt the warmth of your tears run down your cheeks. "I'm in love with you Ruben, but you don't know the first thing about love and so I have to let you go."

Ruben looked taken aback, like the thought of you being in love with him had never crossed his mind. "What do you mean?" he asked, his voice full of confusion and hurt.

You sighed and wiped away your tears. "This ends here, Ruben. You and I, it ends here. All of it."

Ruben looked stunned, sprung woke from a dream.

"I wish you all the best with whatever you choose to do with the rest of your life."

"Y/N, wait! You can't be serious?"

You were serious. That's why you left the bar, even though Ruben kept shouting for you to return.

It was for the best, all of it was for the best.