84) Pebble

Brett is still struggling to get air in his lungs again, Eddy on top of him, when Mason swallows audibly and scrapes his throat.
"Tim?" Mason says hesitantly.
Finally! Mason may sound small, but at least he is speaking and Brett's heart lifts a bit. There is nothing more frustrating than to see the person who always knows what to do or say where his friends are concerned so lost when it's about himself.
"I know I can't go back to just being friends. Not yet. Not after yesterday. Not after your kiss."
Mason reaches for Timo's hands and takes them in his.
"Listen. I want to be gay for you." The words are now said with confidence. "I want to find out what it means. Together. Taking small steps, see where we'll end up." He bravely blinks his tears away, his eyes shining with the excessive moisture still. "So what if it doesn't work out? At least we have tried and we'll see where we go from there. Our friend groups will stay, because we'll manage. We always do, because that's who we are. But-" He thinks for a moment, searching for what he wants to say. "You see, it's like you've thrown a pebble into a pool. The smooth surface is disturbed, the water wrinkling its circles on the surface now. That's the point where we are now." He smiles a soft smile. "If we'll wait long enough, the surface will smoothen out again, and everything will look like it was before. The only difference is the pebble that will always remain under the surface." He squeezes Timo's hands that are in his still. "I want to see where the circles take us. But-" Mason takes a deep breath. "But if you don't want that, we'll wait until everything smoothens again. It will take time, but it will be okay again. Eventually."

The room stays silent for just a moment, the air thick with anticipation. Even the birds outside seem to understand that they have to be quiet as well.
After an agonizing moment Timo throws himself into Mason's arms and cries and cries. Mason lets him, rubbing his back to comfort him. He eyes Brett helplessly, but keeps on rubbing.
It takes long minutes but eventually Timo calms down. He takes a deep breath and tries to explain.
"I was so scared. Of my feelings, of what you were thinking. I was so convinced you didn't want me. I couldn't cope and shut down." he embraces Mason tightly. "But no. I don't want to wait till things smoothen out." he takes a deep breath, his head in the crook of Mason's neck. "I think we have to try. Really. I want to be the pebble in your pool."

"You already are, you daft man." Mason hugs him tight and kisses his hair, smiling fondly at the man in his arms who chuckles at the jest.

Brett hasn't dared to move before in order not to distract them, and neither has Eddy, clearly. But now that they are bantering, although low key, Eddy releases him from his grip and they both sit up. Brett takes a deep breath, gratefully sucking the air in, filling his lungs with much needed oxygen. Yep, Eddy is definitely more heavy than a small girl. Not that he would want it differently.
"It's like Eddy says: Love finds you. It changes you as well, and you must hope it's for the best. It's scary, but oh so worth it." Brett looks at Eddy in his arms still. "You know, it definitely is for me," he says shyly, "and I hope you will give me the chance to change more into who I want to be. Who I can be. For you. And for myself."

"That's so cheesy." Mason sniffs, his tears dried up now that Timo is plastered on his chest.

"Maybe. But you'll love it as well when the day comes that he says that to you and means it." Brett quips, looking from Mason to Timo and back. "Both of you." he points out delicately.

Mason chuckles. "He's not wrong, you know." he confesses, his gaze on Timo.

"Yeah. I know what you mean." Timo tells him softly and snuggles more into Mason's embrace.

"Well, I certainly do." Eddy beams. "Okay! You boys good? Because I'm really dying for a serious make-out session after all his sweet words, and I don't want to embarrass you further, so I'm taking him to my bedroom. If that's all right with you."
Brett's jaw drops at this statement, but Mason and Timo snort. Eddy doesn't pay them any heed, gets up and pulls Brett up as well.
"You do whatever you want here: Make up, make out, make tea, coffee or fix something to eat. I don't care as long as you are good together. You'll see us in an hour or so." He grabs Brett by the shoulders, turns him and frog-marches him towards the bedroom door.

Brett's heart does a back-flip. Eddy dragging him off to his den, stating so bluntly what he wants to do, is hot as fuck.
"You'll manage?" Brett ask over his shoulder. Eddy stops for a second, waiting for the answer as well.

"Yes. Go. You BaE's have fun." Timo smirks and flicks his hand at them, dismissing them to do as they please. Brett sighs with relief. Timo looks more like his normal self than Brett has seen him all day. Mason looks alright as well, smiling broadly.

"Oh, we will have fun. No doubt." Eddy whispers hotly in Brett's ear so only he will hear. Brett simpers and colours bright red from his cheeks to his neck. Just before they reach the bedroom he hears Mason's question.

"BaE?"

"Yeah. Before Anyone Else. Or Brett and Eddy. Nice pun, no?" Timo laughs out loud, making Mason laugh as well. All tension is gone now. It's the best sound Brett has heard all morning. His heart lifts, the excessive weight added since this morning he didn't know off, gone, flown out of the window. Even the birds sing their arias with full bravado again.
Before the bedroom door closes fully, Brett glances one more time over his shoulder, and sees his friends getting closer to each other. They are definitely leaning in to kiss each other. Nice. Yes, they will be alright. Now he doesn't have to worry anymore, he will give Eddy his full attention.