The mansion soldiers trembled with fear, but dared not retreat, gripping their swords tightly as they stared at him like facing a formidable enemy. Then they watched as he arched his eyebrows and smiled, devoid of any warmth. Suddenly, the sword light surged, illuminating the surroundings, its edge seemingly about to pierce through the somber night.

In the distance, Lord Shen watched anxiously, turning to Han Zhongwen. "Lord Han, look, he's been provoked to unleash his murderous intent... But, what should we do?"

Han Zhongwen's expression was grave, but he remained calm. "Observe closely. The color of his clothes at his waist is darkening, indicating that the wound is still bleeding. Despite facing many adversaries, he won't last long."

"But at this rate, it's not impossible for him to break through... Although the entire city is under your control, it would be much more troublesome..." Lord Shen remarked.

Han Zhongwen furrowed his brow, pondered for a moment, then instructed those around him, "That thing has been brought here, right? Release it."

"Drip, drip—"

"What's that?" A warm liquid dripped onto his forehead, then was wiped away, replaced by a cold touch. There was a sound echoing in his ears, faint and unsteady, like hurried, unstable breaths, so familiar.

Slowly, Su Shiyu blinked, his vision gradually clearing, yet still shrouded in dimness. However, within this dimness, he caught a glimpse of a corner of dark red lotus pattern. His senses also awakened gradually; he realized he was leaning against a wall, entirely shielded by someone in front of him.

Su Shiyu lifted his eyes slowly, laboriously focusing on Chu Mingyun's face. The light of day was faint, the night extremely dark and quiet. Chu Mingyun looked down at him, blood trickling from his forehead, his fair face stained crimson, yet his eyes were bright and clear, like stars.

"I despise those who deceive and exploit emotions the most."

"…And what about you?"

"…How should I treat you, after all?"

After a while, Su Shiyu slowly raised his hand, carefully wiping away the blood on Chu Mingyun's face, and softly spoke, "How did it come to this…"

"Shiyu…?" Chu Mingyun was taken aback, quickly grasping his hand and pressing it against his cheek, then suddenly embracing him tightly, very tightly. Chu Mingyun's voice was hoarse as he whispered, "…You scared me."

Su Shiyu smiled gently, but his comforting gesture on Chu Mingyun's back paused abruptly as he suddenly turned his head and spat out a mouthful of darkened blood.

"Shiyu…" Chu Mingyun watched him anxiously.

Su Shiyu shook his head, wiping away the blood from his lips, "Don't worry, it's just congestion." This wasn't a lie; he indeed felt his mind gradually clearing, and finally, he had some strength in his body. He attempted to stand up, then smiled reassuringly at Chu Mingyun, "How about you?"

"I'm fine," Chu Mingyun said, "All those guards from the mansion are dead. Han Zhongwen should be sending reinforcements. Initially, there was a way to get you out, but I don't know where he found a monster to guard the door. My Shadow Guards all fell to that creature's hands."

They had already left the courtyard, and the bamboo forest had come to an end. There was no hiding place ahead, but they were also very close to the entrance of the mansion. Su Shiyu could vaguely see the creature Chu Mingyun had mentioned. He could barely make out its humanoid shape, hunched over, with disheveled hair. If it weren't for the knife in its hand, it would look more like a wild beast. There was only him alone in the large open space in front of the mansion, as if Han Zhongwen was also wary and dared not place his men beside him.