Following her gaze, Lu Shi immediately noticed Su Shiyu, a touch of pride in his voice, "The one in white? My daughter indeed has a discerning eye..."

"Not him!" Lu Qinghe hastily interjected, pointing instead to the figure in dark blue beside Su Shiyu.

Lu Shi's expression darkened instantly.

"No way!"

"Father—" Lu Qinghe followed him, pacing back and forth in the hall.

"No means no, and that's final!" Lu Shi was adamant.

"Why not?" Lu Qinghe protested, "You said I could choose!"

"You..." Lu Shi, frustrated, stopped in his tracks and turned to face her, "Why do you insist on Chu Taiwei, overlooking all those young talents? What do you see in him?"

Lu Qinghe shrank back, admitting shyly, "He's beautiful."

"Is beauty all that's deceived you?" Lu Shi was incensed. "Is not Su Daren also handsome?"

"Father..." Lu Qinghe was taken aback.

Realizing his slip, Lu Shi glanced around, and finding no one else in sight, continued, "Tell me, what are you thinking?"

Lu Qinghe, weighing her words carefully, replied earnestly, "Su Daren is indeed handsome, but he and Chu Taiwei are different. Su Daren's beauty is the kind that you can only admire from a distance..."

"You'd even consider touching Chu Taiwei?" Lu Shi's temper flared anew. "I've indulged your whims since you were little, but how can you be so unreserved now?!"

Lu Qinghe, on the verge of tears, fell silent, bowing her head to endure his tirade.

Lu Shi's anger subsided somewhat after venting, and seeing Lu Qinghe's submissive demeanor, he softened his tone, conceding, "If you have no interest in Su Daren, then let it be. I'll help you look elsewhere. Take your time to choose." He paused, then added firmly, "But forget about Chu Taiwei. Setting aside what kind of person he is, everyone at court knows he's shamelessly pursuing Su Daren. Don't get involved in such nonsense!"

Lu Qinghe bit her lip, inwardly marveling at her father's ability to concoct such tales.

Yet, Lu Qinghe, having roamed the jianghu and not being an ordinary sheltered lady, wasn't easily deterred. With no hope of an arranged match, she considered taking matters into her own hands.

As night enveloped the land, Lu Qinghe, seated at her desk, eagerly inquired of her returning maid, "Well?"

"The...," the maid hesitated, "Miss, are you sure about him?"

"Of course, why else would I send you?" Lu Qinghe interrupted, "What happened?"

"I couldn't find Chu Daren; he wasn't in his quarters," the maid reported.

Curious, Lu Qinghe mused, "Where could he be at this hour?"

After a pause, the maid answered, "The guards saw him with a jug of wine, heading alone to the mountain pavilion."

"Drinking alone under the moon, how romantic," Lu Qinghe admired, then realized, "With everyone else resting, the pavilion will be deserted tonight. What an opportunity!"

The maid, alarmed, asked, "Miss, you're not planning to go there, are you?"

"Of course," Lu Qinghe stood, straightening her attire, "A perfect setting for a romantic confession."

"But Miss, it's cold at the pavilion at night," the maid worried.

"No need," Lu Qinghe reassured her, "Appearing vulnerable might just garner more affection. Let it be cold."

As they were discussing, Lu Shi's voice suddenly asked, "What are you doing at the pavilion?"

Lu Qinghe stiffened, turning with a strained smile, "Father..."

"What's this about the pavilion?" Lu Shi pressed the maid.

Before the maid could answer, Lu Qinghe blurted, "To meet Su Daren!"

"Su Daren?" Lu Shi was puzzled.

With a shy nod, Lu Qinghe averted her gaze, silently signaling the maid, "Yes, Su Daren."

"Why him?" Lu Shi was skeptical.

Taking a deep breath, Lu Qinghe explained, "You always spoke highly of Su Daren. After some thought, I felt perhaps I wasn't entirely indifferent... I sent a message to meet him, to see if he's as commendable as you say."

"Su Daren is beyond reproach," Lu Shi affirmed.

Encouraged, Lu Qinghe glanced at him, "That's why I wanted to meet him."

Nodding, Lu Shi seemed reassured, "It's good to meet and talk."

Lu Qinghe smiled sweetly, "Did you need something, Father?"

"Nothing in particular," Lu Shi replied, "I was coming to discuss this with you. Since you've decided, I'm relieved."

"Then I'll go," Lu Qinghe sighed in relief, but as Lu Shi turned to leave, he added, "Still, wear a cloak. It will be cold."

Touched, Lu Qinghe nodded.

Once Lu Shi was gone, the maid, who had been holding her breath, cautiously asked, "Miss, are we still going to the pavilion?"

"Of course," Lu Qinghe affirmed, tucking a stray hair behind her ear, "We've come this far; how could we not?" She paused, her voice tinged with uncertainty, "But let's wait a bit longer... to avoid my father."

Meanwhile, Lu Shi, feeling a weight lifted off his shoulders, cheerfully entered Wei Song's estate, calling out, "Wei Daren, I'll need you to stay up late tonight for a few rounds of chess!"

Greeted warmly by Wei Song, they were soon joined by Su Shiyu, who asked with a light smile, "Lu Daren seems in high spirits. Is there cause for celebration?"

Caught off guard, Lu Shi stammered, "...Su Daren?"

Su Shiyu invited them to discuss inside. Lu Shi, however, hesitated, puzzled, "Why are you here?"

Wei Song led Lu Shi to sit, explaining, "Su Daren came to discuss matters concerning the Hunnic envoys and stayed to chat. It's perfect timing for you to join us in a game of chess."

Lu Shi, reluctantly settling down, inquired of Su Shiyu, "Aren't you expected elsewhere tonight?"

Su Shiyu shook his head, "I have no such engagements."

Silence fell as Lu Shi mulled over this, his face betraying a mix of emotions. Su Shiyu, noting his distress, asked, "Is something troubling Lu Daren?"

"It's nothing," Lu Shi recovered, managing a smile before sighing, "To my shame, my daughter has long admired Su Daren. She came to the hunting lodge with me and, unbeknownst to me, sent a maid to invite you to the pavilion. She was preparing to meet you when I discovered her plans."

Su Shiyu frowned slightly, "But I received no invitation..."

"That's just it," Lu Shi hurried to explain, "Since you've been here with Wei Daren, the message must have gone astray."

The implication was clear. Su Shiyu sighed, "I'm flattered by your daughter's regard, but I have no intentions of marrying. I wouldn't want to lead her on."

Lu Shi expressed his helplessness, "It's my daughter's infatuation. I can do little about it. She's probably waiting at the pavilion by now, and won't easily return without meeting you. The night is cold on the mountain; even if you have no intentions, a meeting might put her mind at ease."

After a moment's thought, Su Shiyu agreed to go, understanding Lu Shi's concern for his daughter. "Then I'll take my leave now."

"Please do," Lu Shi urged, seeing him off.

Once Su Shiyu was gone, Wei Song, returning with the chess set, asked in surprise, "Why did Su Daren leave?"

Back in the hall, Lu Shi, with a pat on Wei Song's shoulder, remarked cryptically, "You're lucky to have a son, and married early."

Wei Song, puzzled, asked for clarification.

Lu Shi sighed deeply, "My worries never end."