Getting through it together(request)

Request from 24hrtz

Sitting curled in his bed with hisbtail curled tight against his feet. His green eyes. Eyes red from crying with the fur around it damp. Focused on his fingers. He flexed, and bend them, hoping to see his yellow claws come out and hear the sound of their arrival. Nothing.

It had been almost a week since Puss lost his claws. Since he was declawed. He hasn't felt this helpless and weak since his encounter with Death. Only this time, his claws were gone for good. Besides his sword, they were his secret weapons and tools. A piece of his feline self. Gone. Taken.

His ears twitched at his door opening, and two figures entered the room gently. He felt someone sit on the bed, and someone else move to sit in front of him. His green eyes moved away from his opened paws to find Perrito, staring at him with concern. Puss gently patted the dog's head, allowing him to move close into a hug.

Puss felt something touch his shoulder. A familiar soft touch he recognized. His other paw moved to hold that snowy white paw of his thieving lover as Kitty looked at him with worry. She knew what he was feeling. Depressed. Scared. Weak. Powerless. She felt those things when she lost her claws.

"Sniff sniff"

Perrito and Kitty looked at Puss with concern when he started crying, breaking down as feeling those things. The tabby cat turned around so that he could hug Kitty, which she didn't think twice to wrap her arms around her. Perrito snuggled against Puss's face, nuzzling him to comfort his friend.

Kitty gently ran her paws down the fur on his head. Her fingers would gingerly brush away the tears staining his cheeks as her heart to break to see him in such a state. He calmed down, sniffing once in awhile, gradually falling asleep with his friends in bed. Kitty looked at Perrito as they both nodded to eachother about what they discussed earlier. Their plan would go in motion tomorrow, first thing in the morning.

In the morning....

"Puss.....Pussssss"

The ginger cat opened his green eyes, feeling something bounce on his catbed. Blinking his eyes open as he rubbed out the dry eye boogers that formed, he looked to find Perrito smiling with a plate of pan-fried eggs with potatoes and a cup of coffee. "Buenos dias!" He said, making the feline stare at him with a raised eyebrow. While he hoped it was just the sleep making him see things, he had a feeling something was off.

"Wakey wakey eggs and bakey! It's a new day so eat up and get up!" Perrito said optimistically, shoving a fork of egg into Puss's mouth. The ginger sat up alarmed, choking on the egg shoved in his throat, which he was able to force down.

"Come on! Drink that espresso, and let's go!" The dog told him cheerfully and pumped up, making the cat chug the coffee before dragging him out of the bed. "Easy Perrito! Easy!" Puss pleaded with him, feeling his tongue burn from that coffee.

Without a warning, Perrito shoved him outside. Before he could question what was up with his friend, he felt something his boot and glanced down to find his sword. Bending down to pick it up, he stared at confused until a whistle reached his ears and he saw Kitty in a defense stance as she held her sword. "En garde" she told him firmly as he looked at her alarmed, gulping.

Puss found himself being trained by Kitty on fighting with his sword and only his sword. She knew what it was without claws, but she also knew how to recover from it and live without them. So she and Perrito agreed they would help Puss learn how to manage his life without claws. That included relying on things that would require his claws like his sword for fighting and picking locks.

Puss didn't expect to suddenly get lunged into this recovery training process. It was out of the blue. Had Kitty planned this for some time since he was declawed? It was firm and persistent the training. It was all so much thought.

"No! No more!"

Clang!

His silver sword hit the ground as the tabby fell down on his knees, trying to catch his breath. To his surprise, half of the day had passed with the training. He glanced up at the tuxedo cat who held a firm look as he glared at her.

"I'm done, Kitty" he told her, panting as his fur dripped from the sweat. Kitty, however was insistent for him to keep going. She knew he was giving up and wouldn't allow the reckless yet brave hero she knew to do this to himself.

"No, Puss. Get up, pick up your sword and fight. You are doing well. And I am not letting you give up on yourself just because you lost your claws-"

"SHUT UP!!!"

Puss yelled out in fury, ears flatten as he glared furiously at her. Perrito shrunk back from the sudden volume in his friend's voice, afraid. "This is already difficult for me! I've lost a part of myself, Kitty! I've lost my claws! I've lost something that I cannot get back! How can I not give up?!" He shouted at the top of his lungs, banging his paws into the ground.

He took a deep breath to calm himself down, only to feel hot tears stream down his face as he sobbed. It was much for him so he needed time to progress all of this. He appreciated their help but it just came so sudden.

He heard Kitty approached him from her boots and her putting her sword down. He felt her paws wrap around him, and pull him into a hug. He gladly wrapped his paws around her tightly, sobbing in her chest. "It's ok mi amor. I know you can do it. That's why I did this training. I want to help you. I can't stand to see you so broken" she told him softly as she motioned Perrito to come. The little dog came and hugged his scared friend.

"I appreciate mi Joya. But I also need time. Just be there for me, por favor" he pleaded with his voice breaking, making Kitty pat his back for assurance.

"Take your time my love. We'll be waiting and supporting you" she said, feeling like she went too hard on him with the training. Gently, she lifted his head up to look at her, wiping away his tears. "You faced so much, Puss. You even faced death in its eyes. You can face this challenge. And we'll be there for you" she whispered to him, pressing a soft kiss to his lips as he smiled at her gratefully, going back into her embrace as he pulled Perrito in closer for their hug. While this would be a difficult recovery for him, he was glad to his friends would be there to give him and help get through this. That he knows and is happy about.