Warmth

This idea came up when I was watching a clip from "The White Snake" movie

Perrito rolled around in the sands of the desert dunes, tossing and turning as he shivered from the cold night. His sock sweater did little to keep him warm. Then, a fine black leather cape was draped over him, immediately chasing the cold away as the little dog smiled relaxed. The owner of the cape made sure that cape sealed off any entrance for the cold to seep in. Once satisfied, Puss patted the dog gently with a warm smile.

The trio were traveling in the desert where night had fallen and they were resting right now. The tabby cat was still up as he was too awake to sleep. So for now, he was just making sure all was well for him and his friends.

Puss glanced over at Kitty's sleeping form and he noticed that she was moving a lot in her sleep. Her tail kept swishing in a way that often indicated that a cat was bothered. Her body was huddled up and she slightly moaned in discomfort. The ginger cat frowned to see this. What could be bothering his sweet stealthy Softpaws? Moving away from the fire, he knelt down to her height as his eyes analyzed her as he let out a hum.

He could see her fur standing from the cold. Her body was curled in a ball as she held herself tightly to give herself some warmth but it wasn't enough. Puss could see she was shivering. His eyes moved to her face which was scrunched in discomfort, her ears flatten down.

It pained Puss to see her like this. Watching her unable to sleep. Shivering from the cold. He guessed the fire was not enough to give her warmth in the cold night of the desert. He thought about using his cape as a blanket for her. But he remembered that he let Perrito sleep in it. Even with that old sock sweater, it wouldn't keep the dog warm. How could he sacrifice one's warmth for the other?

Puss thought on what to do in the situation. He couldn't leave her like this. She wasn't getting any sleep and there might be a chance she can catch a cold. The cold in the desert was no joke. Not even their fur was enough to withstand the cold.

There was one thing. And it would probably get him killed by Kitty in the morning. Taking his hat off and setting it aside, he laid down next to her, in front of her face. He was nervous and a bit hesitant. For sure, she would murder him for this once she would wake up. But once his green eyes saw her face twitching a lot and his ears twitched at a small whimper, that hesitation melted away and he couldn't bear to see her like this any longer.

He wrapped his paws around her back and waist. Carefully and slowly, he pulled her closer to his body. Puss hoped that with his fur and the close contact, that maybe he could pass some heat to her. His paws felt her soft fur beneath them and it made him blush. Even though this wasn't the first time he held her, he could never shake off the feeling from how soft Kitty's fur was. It was softer than the finest silk in all of Spain.

He glanced at her face and still saw discomfort written all over it. Puss pulled her more closer to his chest, and started licking her forehead to give her some warm, making each lick as slow as he could. His tail found hers and wrapped around it gently to give it warm. Puss continued to hold her and lick her, refusing to sleep until he was assured his lover felt warm and comfortable so she could rest easy.

He did this for a few minutes until his ears caught a sound. A purr. He felt his body vibrate from the purring and it wasn't from him. Perrito's ears perked up at the sound and his eyes opened tiredly, spotting the cats. Puss glanced down at Kitty's face, dumbfounded. She was the one purring.

That irritation and discomfort earlier was gone. Her face relaxed and there was a small smile forming in her sleep as she purred contently to finally feel some warmth. Unconsciously, she snuggled closer to his chest, her soft breathing reaching to his ears.

Puss smiled, glad to see his favorite feline sleeping peacefully. He gently ran his fingers down her cheek, admiring the way that the campfire placed this orange glow on her fur and curves, making her look beautiful yet peaceful. He leaned in to kiss her forehead and his eyes caught sight of Perrito approaching them, catching the ginger cat with curiosity.

The little dog was dragging Puss's cape and threw it over the two cats. Puss adjusted the cape so it would cover both him and Kitty, making to keep her warm especially. His eyes went back to Perrito who curled up near his feet. He smiled at how that dog's kindness knew no bounds. However, once again he had nothing to keep him warm.

"Psst. Perrito" Puss whispered quietly so not to awaken Kitty. His friend glanced up at him quizzically. Puss smiled softly and patted a spot next to him with part of the cape for the dog to snuggled in. Perrito smiled at his friend as he walked over and got under the cape, resting near the cats. Puss rubbed his head a goodnight as the dog fell asleep. He turned to Kitty, giving her head a kiss before the warmth from one another lulled him to sleep.