Explaining(part 4)

More information on the issue of declawing revealed her. Please do not declaw your cat

Kitty sat at the table awkwardly, fidgeting with the shawl that Imelda gave her. Right now, the human was making something in the kitchen. 'This was not what I was expecting' She thought in her head, feeling strange to be near Puss's mother figure.

"Oye! Kitty!" Her ears perked at Carlos's voice and she turned her head to the right. He ran to her with Fuerte walking behind him and Telma running after him. The little calico climbed onto the table, struggling. Kitty helped him up as Imelda peeked over her shoulder to look.

"I checked on Puss. He still has a slight fever but is not as bad as before. The anthesia has took full effect now properly so he is resting. He should be better once he wakes up" he explained excitedly, wagging his tail. Kitty sighed relieved as she leaned back into the chair, feeling a pressuring weight was lifted off of her.

"That's good to hear. Thank you Carlos" she told him gratefully, rubbing his little furry head. Imelda smiled, seeing a sweet brother and sister gesture between them both. A gesture she had seen making her orphans.

"Ah don't thank me. Is all thanks to Imelda. She gave us a place for Puss to rest and helped to bring down his fever" he explained to her and on cue, Imelda came with a cup of milk, passing it on the table to Kitty. "Here. This will ease your nerves mi nina" she told her calmly. Kitty glanced uo at her surprised, not expecting it. But she couldn't be rude either so she took the tea without question. "Gracias" she told her nervously.

"So tell me. What kind of trouble did my son get himself into?" Imelda asked, sitting down. Kitty however was too worried about her lover to explain while also nervous on upsetting the human. Puss told her once that his mother had quite a temper sometimes when messed with.

Fuerte notice her nervousness and decided to speak. "Kitty. Do you want me to explain?" He asked her politely and she nodded to him, giving a small smile. "You see Senorita Imelda..." Fuerte started to explain to her what had happened. With the heist failing, the ambush, Puss's capture and his close encounter with getting declawed. Kitty half listened, drinking her milk as she only thought about Puss.

"Getting declawed? Isn't that just clipping the claws only? It would've been easier to save him after that" Imelda asked confused when she heard about the declawing.

That caught Kitty's attention. She glanced up at Imelda with a serious look. Not threatening or angry but it was clear to Kitty that the human had no idea the true pain and consequences with declawing. This was the same thing with her owners and other humans. They know nothing about what really happens with declawing.

"You are wrong Senorita Imelda. You are not just clipping our nails. Or pulling our claws out" she told her, making Imelda frowned as she listened. Her friends got quiet, knowing this was an extremely sensitive topic for her. But the cat couldn't stand humans that knew absolutely nothing about the painful truth of declawing.

"You are basically cutting off our fingers" she told her, getting angry and Imelda's eyes widen shocked. "You amputate at the first joint of every knuckle" she said, holding her paw out and pointing to her knuckles to make her point. Imelda covered her mouth horrified to hear that.

"After the claws are removed, they stitch the wounds and bandage our paws. But that does little. The pain is long term and recovering from it is slow and long. It interferes with us acting like normal cats. It's our main tools and weapons and when taken away, we are vulnerable and hurt. I should know because my owners. The owners I thought loved me. Took my claws away without giving me a reason" she explained to her, the last part sounded painful yet angry as she glanced at her paws, missing the feeling of retracting her sharp claws. Regardless of her owners' reasons, she could never forgive them for the pain they put her through.

The room was silent. Her friends had their heads down with sympathic looks. Imelda placed her hands where her heart was and looked at Kitty with sympathy. She had no idea that was what declawing meant. Kitty looked up at her with a serious look before she pushed herself back from the table.

"Excuse me" she said before jumping off the chair and leaving the room, Imelda watching her leave.

Kitty couldn't blame Imelda but hated how too many humans were oblivious to the truth of declawing. "Argh! Stupidos! They think is that simple and easy! To them only! But to cats no!" She told herself angrily and she glanced at a room as she walked away but she paused in her walking and turned around back to the room as she saw a glimpse of orange fur.

She found Puss was in the room, in his old cat bed from when he lived her. Seeing him, she hastily entered the room and rushed to his side, her blue eyes scanning him for his current condition as she sat down.

He was unconscious completely now and his breathing normal. There was a wet towel on his forehead and a bandage around his chest from the injury from that arrow. He definitely looked better than before. Kitty ran her paw on his face, gently caressing it. Her eyes moved to his paws.

She gently lifted them up and presses her thumb to his paw pad, retracting his claws. It eased her to know that she saved him from the worst thing that happened to her. She couldn't bear for her love to endure that pain too.

"Kitty"

Her ears perked at Imelda's voice. The feline didn't turn her back, holding her boyfriend's paw on hers. She didnt care if she ruined her chance to get her boyfriend's surrogate mom to like her. She wanted to make her point on the issue clear.

Imelda approached Kitty and sat next to her. "Kitty. I'm sorry for what you've been through" she told her, placing her hand on the young cat's shoulder. Kitty just stayed quiet, not responding.

Imelda looked at her, trying to scan her face as Kitty avoided eye contact with her. Then, the human gave a small warm smile. "Earlier, you asked me how I knew your name" she reminded her and Kitty had forgotten about that. "I'm guessing from my wanted poster?" She suggested, keeping her face away like a child that knew they did wrong but didn't want to admit it to their parent.

"No. It was from my son's letters"

That got Kitty to turn her head to look at Imelda. Her ears perked to hear this. "Letters?" She asked puzzled. "After Puss saved San Ricardo and left, he would send me letters, telling me of his adventures. In one of his recent letters, he told me how the next time he comes home, he wanted to introduce me to a feline name Kitty Softpaws" she explained to her, making Kitty more surprised.

"I've always know he had a way with the ladies. But the way he spoke about you. It was different. It was genuine. And passionate. Saying how he felt he met a match that he can keep up with and compete. But also he mentioned how you were an amazing girl. Kind, and beautiful. Incredible and how you helped him save San Ricardo" Imelda explained as Kitty blushed surprised but touched to know Puss thought about her like that and that he talked about her to his mom.

"I know our first time meeting in person was rocky. But I hope next time, we can know eachother in better terms" Imelda told her hopefully as Kitty looked at her surprised. She couldn't believe that Imelda wanted to know her better.

"And I'm glad you told me more about the real truth of declawing. I will make sure that others know this. So that no cat will suffer like mi nina?" She told her assuringly, putting her hand on her shoulder. Kitty smiled at her and nodded to her gratefully. Imelda smiled at her before leaving.

Kitty glanced back at Puss, feeling her energy exhuasted. Sitting down, she rested her head on the bed, holding his paw in hers as sleep took over her. When he wakes up, two things: check on him and ask him about those letters.