50

I held the phone up to my ear

I held the phone up to my ear. "Hello?" I said softly. Immediately Helder's voice takes over my ear loudly.

"perché non rispondi mai al tuo cazzo di telefono?" He asks in the language I can't understand.

I honestly need to learn Italian.

"ti chiamo senza sosta tutti i giorni! come fai a sapere che sei libero dal cancro?! non è una cosa carina da sapere, eh?" He continues.

"I'm sorry, I don't what you are saying." I said. "Oh. Who is this?" Helder asks.

"Alex?"

"You don't sound so sure. Are you sure you're Alex?" He says smartly.

We both knew if Massimo was in his right mind right now he would not let anyone talking to me like that slide.

"Yes. This is me, Alex." I said again.

"The wife." He drags.
"...The wife." I repeat. "Any news?"

"Yes. You can tell your rude husband to try picking up the phone once in a while. Especially when medical assistance is calling him." He exclaims.

"And then you can tell him his test came back negative, Congratulations." He says very dryly before hanging up the phone in my ear."

A huge wave of relief hits me almost knocking me over.

I feel a tear leave my eye and my body shake. "Massimo," I start. "you don't have cancer."

he continues to ignore me. I know its him subconsciously it's him hiding in his own head.

I drop his phone on the hardwood floors. Then walk up to him and his desk where he continues to do paperwork.

I roll all the papers off his desk with the swipe of my arm. He looks up at me distraught as i climb onto his desk kneeling on the wood with my knees.

"You're cancer free!" I cry. With a lifeless expression he blinks up at me. "What?"

"You don't have cancer!" I exclaim again. I pull his chair in and grab his face to kiss him. He freezes not kissing me back.

I still pull away with a smile on my face.

"..What?"

"Massimo. You DON'T have cancer." I say again.

"I don't have cancer?"

"You don't have cancer." I confirm.

He blinks up at me, I'm unable to read his expression. "I need you to take swimming lessons." He says finally after some time.