37

Feb 10th, 2023 -Winter Formal

My mom slicks back the gel in my hair over and over with the brush, running her hands through it making sure It stays slick

We both stood in front of my mom's bedroom full body mirror as my hair is put back to look like a wet look, ma said it would look good. I wore a navy blue suit with a white undershirt.

"You've been rubbing that same spot for an hour Im sure its fine." Massimo mumbles texting on his phone.

"What would you know about hair?" I ask him. "I know enough." He responds. My mom scoffs behind me. "Says the man who said my hair wash day didn't need to be five hours."

"I didn't know you had so many steps, okay?" He shrugs. "Thats cuz your head looks like a salad bowl." I murmur.

He runs his fingers through his hair like a surfer or something. "I have amazing hair."

My mom picks up the hairspray and sprays it all over my head making sure the style will stay. "Only because I put satin pillow cases on our bed and rub oils and rosemary water in your head when your sleeping so you don't notice." My mom says.

"Oh. Thats why it's getting thicker?" I ask playing along. "Exactly." My mom moves to put the hairbrush down and put on my bowtie next.

We always have trouble with this part.

"Sleeping or not I feel you do it every time." He grumbles. "Whatever."
My mom struggles to put the tie on and nearly chokes me.

"Ah! Its too tight!" I exclaim. "Im sorry." She responds loosening it then trying again.

I get a good View of Massimo trying watch her attempt this for the hundredth time trying not to cringe. "Let me." He says. My mom puts two hands in the air and backs away.

Massimo Kneels before me kind of giving me a power trip and wraps the black bowtie around my neck with ease and no facial expression in sight. "Show off." My mother mumbles.

"Okay lets go. Your friends are probably waiting for you." She says spritzing Cologne onto my neck and wrists.

Massimo stands before me to his full height then steps towards my mother

"Do you remember all the methods the doctor told you to do?" She asks.

I sigh. "Yes."

"Recite them to us." She says. I gather my thoughts and try to remember my anxiety methods recently prescribed to me.

I don't really like my therapist she scares me and I haven't been able to use her methods yet because I haven't been feeling anxious but I should remember them.

"Tapping," - where I repeatedly tap pressure points on my body.

"Breathing," - in unreasonable patterns