Shattered Love Story

Ah, the rich aroma of freshly brewed beans. Earthy notes and a hint of toasted caramel. Silver droplets came from the heavens, tapping against windows. Students hurried by, their umbrellas unfurled like colourful blossoms in a muted landscape; each close to the colours of their designated houses. Hints of emerald within every Slytherin umbrella, merging perfectly with the silver of the droplets. 

"Thank you for this," you hummed, holding the mug in both of your hands, allowing its warmth to comfort your red, shaky hands. "I could've paid, you know?"

"Nonsense," Narcissa scoffed with a soft smile, sipping on her own coffee. "At least you are a fan of coffee. Draco always complains it is bitter. Though, the last time he tried coffee, I think he was fifteen." 

You laughed gently, inhaling the smell of the coffee beans; they were fresh. Ground in the cafe itself. From the look of the coffee grinder hung up on the wall, it looked like one from the 19th century. You'd seen these occasionally before at certain cafes in London, and you'd seen one in Grimmauld Place in the kitchen; fine things, those. 

"I had to come to Hogwarts," she said in a breathy tone, looking out onto the plain. "I knew something was wrong. A mother's instinct." You smiled at her in response, prompting her to continue. "And not for Draco." Erupting thus an even brighter smile on your face. "Those Greengrasses - they're a nuisance. Their mother ... you don't even want to hear the stories I have of her!"

"I do! I do!" You grinned. 

"Well, Emmeline Greengrass, I was in Slytherin with her. Even before I became friends with Lucius. She was a nightmare. Self-righteous, stuck up, Merlin, she was just trouble. She did not care who you were; you were indefinitely worse than her. She had a small group of friends, who taunted other students, particularly girls."

"Not surprised. Astoria is just like her."

"Once," Narcissa laughed to herself, recalling a memory, "I got so annoyed at her for being rude, I actually punched her."

You grinned from ear-to-ear at the sound of this, finding familiarity within Narcissa. A glimpse of home. 

"Did you get into the trouble?"

"That's the best part - I didn't! I think everyone was so tired of her, deep-down, everyone wanted to do it. There was a deep rivalry between all the rich families. They were all friends, but deep-down, no one liked each other, really."

"Sounds like Draco and his friends."

She smiled. "So there was a brief period where her and I were ... friends. But we weren't really. She would pick on me everyday. Compare me to herself as the worse one in front of boys. A few times she'd purposely called my outfit trash, only to highlight to the guys how elegant her outfit was. I never wore trash, either! So she was just making stuff up." 

"I see where Astoria gets it from."

"I believe you whole-heartedly when you call her a - what was it - stuck up, dusty slag?"

"That's right." 

Narcissa hummed, taking a sip of her coffee, looking out onto the wet and puddled streets of Hogsmeade. Students continued rushing back and forth, trying to get under shelter, some running back to the castle, some rushing to nearby pubs or cafes, or whatever their destinations were. But the rain was becoming lighter, and you were sure that, in just a few minutes, it was bound to stop. 

"What do you think I should do, [F/n]? Shall I speak to Draco about his behaviour?"

"I think it's alright, you know. Ron already tried bollocking him, I've already done it too. He chose this on his own."