Little Bird (I'll hepl you sing again)|❔️

Discduo discduo discduo

Warning: Mentoined child abuse, mentoined malnurition, implied non-consensual drug use at the end, possessive behaviour, manipulation kinda?

Tommy is nonverbal bc of stress, which is based on my experiences.

This was living rent-free in my head.

3665 words.

Tommy walked down the barely lit hallway, stepps barely making a sound. Some people went by, not sparing a glance to the eight year old, to his joy. He wouldn't like to be noticed.

He turned a corner, effectively bumped into someone, and managed to fall down with a small oompf. He looked up, panicked blue eyes meeting surprised green ones.

"Hey there, little guy, sorry about that." The man smiled and crouched down. He wore the uniform of the goons in the maffia, but he was nice. Tommy didn't trust it.
"I'm kinda new, ya know? I'm looking for the son of the boss." Tommy blinked, then looked away. He pointed at himself. He knew that lying would be futile, another goon would expose him, and then it would be worse.
"Oh? You are Theo?" The blond man asked with a kind smile, and Tommy frowned. He hated that name.
"You don't like that name?" The boy shook his head. "That's okay. What should I call you?" Tommy opened his mouth, then closed it.

T-O-M-M-Y

He signed. He wasn't mute. He could talk! It's just... He found it very hard to force words out of his mouth. Not always. His mother was deaf, so he learned signs when he was little, and as he slowly lost the energy, will, whatever it was, to speak, he started communicating in sign language. Not that anyone understood him. But the man smiled kindly, which was weird. No one smiled at Tommy.

"A pleasure to meet you, Tommy. My name is Clay." He said and patted the boy on the head. He flinched away at first before pressing into the touch with closed eyes. He couldn't see the sad yet furious frown on the man's face.

"You must be Clay, the new helper of the boy, huh?" Came a sharp voice from behind Tommy, who pulled away from the gentle touch, missing it instantly, and glanced up at Gregory with fear. Gregory was the meanest of the bunch after his father.

"That I am. And you are Gregory, right? Don't worry, I'm pretty sure the little guy and I will get along just fine!" Clay said with a huge smile, standing up. He was a bit taller than the brunett, and Tommy tried to disappear into the shadow of the hallway, back pressed against the wall.

"You don't have to get along with the brat." Said the man. Clay had a weird expression on his face. He was still smiling, but he made a confused expression, lips slightly parted, smile faltering a bit. He let out a small 'eh' sound. "Boss says he needs to toughten up a bit, and we can help with that." Tommy looked down at his shoes and tried to make himself look smaller. The only man who showed him gentleness now knew that he was free game to anyone.

"Sorry, I don't understand." Clay glanced at the kid and Lady. He looked so small and scared. He had a really bad feeling about this.

"You are a stupid one, ey? If I do this -" He kicked Tommy's side, sending him to the ground with a cry of pain. The boy curled into a tiny, shaking ball to protect himself. Clay let out an alarmed shout. "I get nothing. The boss only said to not kill him." He finished. Clay nodded, his eyes swirling with a need for murder. The man's comm went off, and he left the scene without another word. Clay crouched down to the trembling child, softly touching him. Tommy flinched away, but then stilled, cowering in fear, yes, but still as a stone. The older man's face was sad as he slowly pulled the child into his arms, craddling the small body with such care like he was made out of the most fragile Zsolnay porcelain.