Jansen

Several minutes after, an ambulance arrived at the scene of Mia's accident. Her ruptured vehicle had cause a stir in the street, many pedestrians walking along the road paused and turn to glance at her vehicle laying roughly across the floor. They gasped at the intense cracks on the doors, windscreen and the bonnet. The cracks were awful almost as if a huge rock landed on her car and crushed it with its whole might.

Some of the pedestrians were whispering between themselves as they stare at the hopeless vehicle.

"Hope she's okay."

"Could she be dead?"

"What a shame!"

"Poor thing!"

The paramedics hurried over to Mia's car, and pulled her gently out of her seat. Blood was trickling on her arms, neck and legs from the heavy bruises incured on her fragile body. They placed her in a stretcher and they approached the ambulance. Her eyes were still moving, still breathing, and still had a pulse, and they slipped her into the back of the ambulance.

Mia's body was starting to jerk, her legs and hands were shaking violently like they are going to fall off her body and her eyes were rolling into their sockets. The medics immediately sensed that she is having a seizure. She was jerking uncontrollably and was nearly rolling off her bed and they put a monitor on her, her pulse was like 20, then went to 16, then like 14, then like 12 and her breathing was getting shallow and the biggest thing is the color of her skin. It went from red to road burn like purple and then it just went white when her pulse hit zero and they quickly placed an oxygen mask on her face, and after a few seconds, her pulse came back.

11:45pm

Bella and Jansen arrived at Caring Hearts Hospital where Mia is admitted. They were stupefied and petrified when the got a call about her ominous accident.

Mia was completely stable when they arrived there. Bella's eyes widened in fear when she glimpsed Mia's body. She was laying in a white silky bed and white sheets was draped around her. However, Bella and Jansen noticed the bruises on her body, it was awful Bella broke in tears.

"Mama! Ma..ma..!" She howled.

Jansen felt a prick of guilt in his chest staring at Mia's bruised body, he shivered feeling quite anxious and he sighs, "no, " he shakes his head, "this can't be Mia." Tears fall in his cheeks, and he approached the doctor, "Doc, how bad are my wife's injuries?, " his heart was racing so fast he stuttered, "t-t-tell me. Is she going to be alright?"

"She's gonna be stuck in a coma for a year, or two, worse cases, forever."

"A year?" Jansen's heart stopped, "f-forever?" He raised a brow.

"Yea, " the doctor nods, "her condition is critical. It will take a miracle she wakes up. Some patients who have been in this state, do not wake up for a very long time. Some, it took them twelve years to wake from their coma."

"But Mia will wake up soon. Right Doc? Right?"

The doctor shrugged his shoulders, and the expression on his face seemed like, 'whatever' and he walks away without uttering a word. Jansen felt a stab of pain in his chest staring back at Mia.

.......

01:22am.

Jansen hunched in his armchair in his bedroom. He took down  from the shelf a bottle of colourless liquid with a plain white label  marked EXPRESS GIN. It gave off a sickly, oily smell, as of Chinese rice-spirit.  Jansen poured out nearly a teacupful, nerved himself  for  a  shock, and gulped it down like a dose of medicine. Instantly  his face turned scarlet and the water ran out of his eyes.  The stuff was like nitric acid, and moreover,  in swallowing it one had  the  sensation of being hit on the back of  the head with a rubber club. 

He suddenly feels two warm tender hands laying on his shoulders, and he could easily tell that it is Juliet as the scent of her perfume filled the air. She smelled like gum. She looked over his shoulders glancing at her standing behind him. Her hands stretch to his bottle, and she clutched it and pulled it from his grasp.

"Seriously? Drinking? You're drinking this late? Shouldn't you be resting?"

"How can I after what has happened to Mia? I can't help but feel her accident is my fault. If I had not ask her to leave, she will still be okay. Now, we are not sure if she's ever gonna wake up."

"Why? You miss her that bad?"

"I just wanna see her alright."

"But I'm here right, " she catwalks toward him and sits on his left lap wearing a crimson tight short gown which revealed her smooth flawless hips and straight gorgeous legs. She draped her arm around his neck, "am I not already enough for you? Why do you still care about Mia?"

"You don't understand!" He flared and edged away from her, "Mia is still my wife and the mother of my daughter and because of me, she is almost dying. I wish I wasn't so strict with her, I wish I never asked her to leave. I shouldn't have let my anger get the better of me."

A wave of sury suddenly crashed through Juliet, she screamed at him, "are you regretting standing up for me? For our late daughter? You did the right thing acting strict to Mia because she deserves it all." She gnashed her jaw.

"If I knew it will come to this, I wouldn't have unleash my rage on her."

"But you did because hurt me, she hurt us!" She walks closer to him and wrapped her arms on his neck, "have you forgotten?"

"I wish I did not stand up for you back then. And I did not turn against Mia and our family for your sake. If I had not, Mia will be fine."

Tears immediately rose in Juliet's eyes and were threatening to obscure her vision. She felt a stifling lump in her throat and failed to hold back the tears in her eyes.

"Tell me, do you regret being with me? Do you regret fighting for me? For the memory of our child? Is Mia now so important to you that we do not matter any longer? It's our lives which got destroyed, you shouldn't feel any pity for her."