What's Wrong?

Hunter's POV

Two weeks had passed, it felt like no time at all, yet lifetimes had occurred since I'd last talked to Nana. 
Tomorrow both Jill and I were flying to France with our national teams to begin our camps and then the World Cup itself. 

I'd told myself that Nana was just on a trip, she'd just gone to visit Spain for a few weeks and she'd come back. I'd begun to truly believe it, wondering when she'd return and then it would hit me; Nana wasn't coming back. Nana was never coming back.
Though I'd quickly bury that fear beneath the fantasy again because the World Cup was important to me, it had been important to Nana, so I'd go out there and do both my country and Nana proud.

Maybe I'd leave the fantasy when I returned back to England. Maybe I'd live in it forever. 

Alexia and Mapi had left a few days ago, flying back to Barcelona to pack their things for the tournament and say farewell to their teammates before they became competitors. 

I'd pasted that smile on my face, pretended it was all fine and continued being strong for the people around me, because they'd needed it. Alexia, Mapi and Leah had all found Nana's passing torturous and I'd been there for them, for once they felt I was the one they could depend on. No matter how terrible my pain was, I felt I owed it to them to be strong for once. 

There was a knock on the door, I knew it would be Jill because she'd insisted on helping me pack everything because apparently my organization, or lack of, stressed her out.

"Hey Jilly," I pulled her into a hug, walking her into the house.

"Hi," Jill smiled, though it didn't quite reach her eyes.

I decided to brush past that for now, I'd probably become oversensitive to emotions over the last fourteen days, "Want a drink?"

She nodded, "That sounds good," Jill sighed, she seemed exhausted.

"You didn't sleep well?" I casually asked, pulling a coke from the fridge for her. 

The Jill I was used to, danced her way through the days, she smiled and laughed whenever the opportunity greeted her and was the embodiment of sunshine and wildflower fields. This wasn't the Jill I was used to.

Jill shrugged, playing with her nails, "I guess."

"Maybe we can just chill out and watch a movie," I suggested, feeling Jill could do with some comfort, "I can pack my cases later."

Jill didn't respond, instead I watched as the tears filled Jill's eyes, she shook her head and it broke me, not that I showed her the fact. 
Seeing Jill cry was so different to seeing anyone else break down because Jill was the happiest, calmest and sunniest person I knew, so seeing her broken, hurt. It was as if thick clouds dimmed the sun and she'd been left with torrential downpours. 

I rushed over to her, pulling her into my arms and holding her head against my shoulder, "What's wrong?"

Jill shook her head, pulling and looking away from me, "They're just so horrible."

"Who? What did they do?" I asked, knowing I'd start a riot for this girl. I'd do anything for this girl. 

"Just everyone," Jill cried, I could now see how shaky she was.

I took Jill's hand, "Come on," I led her to the sofa and sat her down, "Explain it to me," I urged her quietly.

Jill shook her head, she refused to meet my eyes, "I shouldn't be crying to you, this is so stupid, you have real things going on."

I stopped her, "Jill you can always talk to me. I want you to always talk to me," I pleaded. 

Jill sighed, finally she looked at me. Her eyes were sad, they were broken and scared, Jill seemed so vulnerable, yet still somehow closed off, like she'd push away the rest of the world but let me in.

Like Real People Do - Jill RoordOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara