That Was A Private Conversation

Hunter's POV

I'd been sat in-between Mapi and Ona by my sister. No one else had been told where to sit but apparently I had the privilege of following captain's orders. Though I knew Alexia was only doing it because she cared and whilst she couldn't be by my side, she wanted trusted people to be. 

Looking to my side, I realized Ona was sniffing me, I jerked my head back, "Jesus Christ Batlle, why are you smelling me?"

Mapi leaned forwards looking to the two of us, "She really smells that bad, huh?" Mapi teased with this mischievous grin coating her face. 

"Oh shove off," I pushed Mapi's face away.

"You smell good," Ona responded, looking puzzled, "You just don't smell like you."

I scoffed, knowing exactly why that was, but it seemed easier to deflect it back onto Ona rather than deal with all of the questions, "You've clearly gone delusional up in Manchester," I flicked her on the forehead, feeling miles more alive than I did earlier, though I'm not sure if there were some external factors involved in that.

Ona looked as if she'd have continued arguing her case until Alexia cleared her throat, "So I was talking about our upcoming game against Switzerland. In two days, we have a friendly against Switzerland which is important for the upcoming World Cup, we need all the practice and experience."
Alexia continued explaining every last detail about the match, which didn't particularly interest me. And when I found a conversation rather boring, my mind seemed to drift anywhere outside of the room and my train of thought grew sporadically random.

"It's quite nice weather today.
I wonder if it will be nice weather tomorrow.
I need to check the weather app.
I need to call Nana.
I wonder if Leah is looking after Nana properly.
I wonder if the Arsenal girls... no.
I wonder how Lia is.
I wonder if Lia is already at camp in Switzerland.
Oh, Jill doesn't have a national camp this break.
I wonder how Jill is.
Is it weird that I'm wearing her hoodie?
No, she gave it to me so it's fulfilling its' purpose."

"Hunter," Mapi interrupted my train of thoughts, cautiously tapping my knee without startling me, "You know we can hear you?"

My eyes widened slightly, realizing I'd been muttering it all under my breath, "Oh bloody hell."

Ona smirked at me, "I guess we know I was right."

I used my legs to nudge her knees, "Shut up Batlle," I groaned, "That was a private conversation."

"With who?" She chuckled.

"Myself," I hissed.

Alexia dramatically sighed, drawing our attention back to the front of the room, "And seeing as nobody is listening to me anymore and I've finished, you're all dismissed. I think dinner is being served now."

Everyone quickly clapped for Alexia as she stepped away from the front and then flooded towards the canteen.

Alexia suddenly called out one last announcement "I'll see you all at training at nine tomorrow!" then she walked over to us, "Are you guys ready for dinner?"

I nodded, "Sounds good."

The four of us walked into the dining hall, choosing a smaller table; everyone usually split into separate groups at meal times with their closest friends. 

"You seem perkier," Alexia commented as we began our meal.

I shrugged, knowing to be careful because Alexia knew me far too well, "Can't mope around forever."

Mapi smiled at me, "She's taken my advice for once." It was a little funny that Mapi had taken all the credit when in fact her advice probably wasn't the main reason for my sudden switch in mood.