Always To Be Remembered

Jill's POV

The whistle was blown and I felt everyone lean closer to the edge of their seat, even if Spurs weren't a lethal side, there was an unimaginable amount riding on this match; it was the last of the season and Nana's last match, so there were important lasts riding on this game. But it was also Hunter's first match back, the fans were all going wild for their favorite player and seeing her back on that pitch filled me with so much joy.

This was Hunter's place in the world.

Seeing her among the girls, mind set on winning the ball and pushing Tottenham's defense to the limits, made me realize just how she did fit in here, this was Hunter's home. 

It was the first time when I'd ever been pleased to be off the pitch, strangely thankful for my injury because I'd have hated to miss this moment sitting beside Hunter's two favorite people as this entire match was dedicated to a woman who'd helped us all.
I knew all the girls were playing for Nana today, she was at the forefront of their minds and the reason for the extra effort on the pitch which quickly paid off. 

Within the first ten minutes, I could see Wally look up and her eyes instantly found Viv at the corner of the box, the pass being perfect as always; Wally never failed. 

"Come on girls," Nana muttered besides me, her eyes never leaving the pitch.

Viv pivoted around a defender, sending the ball over their heads and into the feet of Hunter who didn't take a second before shooting, it was so smooth and natural as the ball rocketed into the net. 

Hunter jumped up, a massive smile on her face as Viv and Lia pulled her into this massive hug, the rest of the girls quickly crowding around and I knew it was the feeling that Hunter had missed for so long; that euphoric rush of power and passion. 

Nana jumped up, making me startle a little as I saw the most energy from the woman in weeks. "Yes Hunter!" She cheered at the top of her voice making both Alexia and I chuckle, "Show them Tossers whose boss!"

"Alright Nana," Alexia laughed, sitting Nana back down before she continued to insult the opposing team and tire herself out, before the night the team had planned for her.

I stayed standing, watching as the team's faces all gleamed so brightly and Hunter somehow outshone them all. In the recent weeks, through the hardships and pain I'd seen the light fade slightly from her smile and that freedom from her laugh but now I saw the girl I'd first met; yes, ridiculously complex and confusing but also so animated and full of life.

After seeing the team congratulate Hunter and walk back to their positions, it all made sense. I think the girls would always treat Hunter as the baby of the squad, because she was, and they all thought of her as a little sister or in Kim's case, the troublesome daughter but over the recent weeks, I'd seen the love and support they had for their little sister rather than the annoyance and criticisms. You couldn't change the team dynamics, you couldn't suddenly make Hunter the mum of the team one day because things didn't work like that; and honestly thank god because Hunter wasn't quite cut out for that role. Hunter was their little sister but it still never gave them a right to undermine her, now they'd realized that, everything fell right into the perfect place.

The whistle blew, snapping me from my thoughts as the game was underway again.

I think this was the best I'd ever seen the team play, every pass was made with such precision and our squad looked as if they were talking through their minds as it all just clicked. I knew they'd bring everything to this match but their everything was so much more than I could have imagined.

Within five minutes, Beth had scored, her celebration being a heart and then pointing up to Nana. Nana was cheering and clapping, having the time of her life and both Alexia and I had smiles on our faces but as I looked over to older Putellas sister, I could see the tears choking her slightly; it was a beautiful day but also tragic.