That Was The Chance

Leah's POV

To put it bluntly, I was worried that Jill might think Hunter was a complete dick. I just wished they could at least give each other a chance. Danielle had been telling me that she thought Jill would be great for Hunter, friends wise, because they both have too much energy for anyone else to deal with and they both love very loyally.

Even after almost a decade of knowing the girl, Hunter was still mainly a mystery to me and while I loved her an insane amount, I never knew what to expect. 
I felt as if I could write a book about her, a set encyclopedias even, but still they wouldn't even touch on everything that Hunter encompassed. She had a soul larger than this world, it made our universe seem so tiny but she lived so large that it brought her a step closer to death everyday.
Those books couldn't even begin to describe the girl I knew, and especially everything I didn't know, so it's not even as if I could give Jill a quick message just to give Hunter a little time. 

Hunter had always needed time before she gave someone a chance almost as if she had to make sure they weren't a threat and then she'd give them the opportunity. I'd never been certain why she did that but Hunter was used to people leaving so I figured that over time she'd learnt to try and distance herself from everyone but it never seemed to work. It wouldn't ever work when Hunter longed so desperately to be loved yet then almost pushed people away when received it.
She was the most impulsive and devoted person I knew; when she fell, she fell hard. And that wasn't just romantically, it was with every person she'd ever cared for in a romantic, family or platonic sense. 

I had this sense where I wanted to shield Hunter from all the pain of people leaving and the lows she went through but I would look at her and see the strongest person I could think of. Hunter has this tough exterior I rarely ever broke through and no one else stood much of a chance other than Alexia and Mapi. It was difficult because I wanted to protect her but I didn't know how to nor did I know what I was even protecting her from.

Hunter was one of the most famous female footballers in the world, alongside her sister Alexia, and she had this incredible talent on the pitch which all the public knew her for. And players couldn't ignore those in-game threats but they seemed to focus their conversations more on the reputation that proceeded Hunter. I hoped Jill hadn't involved herself too deeply in those conversations or their friendship was looking less likely to happen. 

I looked towards Jill for a moment, who sat there listening intently to Joe's words, then I looked to Hunter, who sat on my other side, and she was obviously caught up in her own mind. I'd always wondered what went on in that mind of hers' but I think everyone had, she'd never open it up to us though. We just caught random views of her recklessness and anger towards this world. 

I began to question if Danielle knew Hunter well enough to decide Jill would get along with her, but I'd try anything just to stabilize Hunter a little more. 

"And then this weekend we are travelling to Madrid!" Joe announced to which everyone clapped for, instantly engaged seeing as this was the real excitement, "Where we will play the first leg of our Champions League match against Real Madid and then the staff will be heading home that night, but apparently you have other plans. Hunter, care to come and explain?" Joe chuckled, he was used to Hunter's antics by now but he would always find them amusing. 

Hunter strode up to the front, "Thankyou Joe," she nodded politely, the manners Nana had taught her were shining through and then the Hunter we all knew broke out as she took a dramatic bow, soaking up the spotlight. Everyone laughed and clapped, equally excited for our Barcelona trip. 

"So we are flying on the plane to Barcelona from Madrid the night of our game, courtesy of..." she made everyone do a drum roll, "Emirates Airline!" we all cheered for our sponsor, Hunter always brought this electric energy to an entire room. 

Glancing to my side, I could see Jill grinning and laughing as Hunter practically performed, there was something that had brightened in her eyes, "She's funny," Jill said to me. 

I nodded, "She is."

"And then we will drive to the hotel in Barcelona. That night my darling sister Alexia Putellas and her lovely friends at Barcelona are throwing a party for us," this earnt some more cheers partly from the party and partly from the mention of Alexia Putellas, "And then we will stay in Barcelona for two more nights then fly home."

Joe stood next to Hunter, "Thankyou for organizing that for everyone," he nodded.

It was rather amusing how Hunter had hijacked our Champions League game and turned it into a mini holiday but I think everyone was more than grateful, we needed the break with how hectic our schedules had recently been.

"It was my pleasure," Hunter grinned, I could see how excited she was to go home, her eyes practically sparkled as she spoke about it. Everyone clapped Hunter back to her seat as she sat back down sighing, "Successful pitch?" Hunter looked at me while she spoke. 

"It was indeed," I nodded.

Jill looked almost hesitant to chime in but proceeded anyway, she had heaps more confidence than me when I'd first joined the senior squad, "it sounds really fun Hunter, thanks."

Hunter now looked at Jill and my heart stopped for a moment, considering if she was about to blank her but instead she smiled, "Look forward to having you on the trip with us."

That was it. That was the chance. Hunter had just extended an olive branch larger than I'd ever seen her with before.

Their eyes lingered on one another for a moment or two more, their conversation being done though, but something sparked. Almost as if a light had gone on in both their minds, I sat back in my seat thankful Hunter had given Jill a chance; it was more than I'd ever expected. Though I could help but feel, that this was going to be interesting to watch everything play out.