The Highest My Career Ever Soared

Hunter's POV

This was it. Today was the day my entire life had been leading up to, this could be the highest my career ever soared or the most painful loss to date. This had the ability to put our team on the map, champions of the world, or we could be forgotten; the team that almost made it but never did. 

England VS Spain. 
Two teams that wear the lion proudly on their chest, but only one would walk away today with those all important gold medals, with that all important trophy in their hands. This was the trophy that the greats dream of, everyone's dream, the dream which seems such a fantasy until you're stood where I am today. Though even now, it feels as if I'm still dreaming too big with my head in the clouds, but when I look to the girls around me, I realize it's all real. This was real.

And every last second out there I wouldn't be fighting just for myself or even for my team, but for my country, those who came before us and most importantly, for Nana

Alexia pulled me into a hug, like she'd already done a hundred times today, "We've got this," she breathed. 

I nodded, my sister had such a strong sense of belief in her teams, she always had, and over the years it had rubbed off on me. Her sense of belief drove me to work harder, nothing would make me happier than Alexia and I achieving our wildest dreams on the international stage together. 

We hadn't won a trophy together since we played at the Barca academy and I'd been moved up the age groups, this felt like it had been a long time coming. 

"For Nana!" Alexia cheered, patting me on the back, she hadn't been quiet for thirty seconds straight today.

"For Nana!" Mapi agreed, raising her water bottle like it was a pint.

A smile broke through onto Ona's face, "For Nana!" She too threw her arm in the air. 

I smiled at three of the most important people in my life; my older sister and two of my best friends. The four of us were closer than ever, bonded by so much more than blood or lifestyle similarities, but by this love we had for one another and complete loyalty we'd all built up. This was a group I think I'd carry through my entire life, I loved these girls more than anything.

Then I thought to Jill knowing she was already in the stands, my name printed on the back of her shirt which I knew she'd be wearing with such pride, probably more anxious than me. Okay, definitely more anxious than me. 

When Olga led us into the tunnel, I looked at the England team who were also making their way through, both of us early. 

I caught sight of Leah and paused, our eyes caught from across the small crowd and she made her way towards me, pulling me into a hug without hesitation. It was a special moment to share; the height of our careers. 

"Whatever happens today, I'm proud," she told me.

I let out a short chuckle, "I promise to pick you up off the pitch when we beat your asses."

Leah pulled away, rolling her eyes, "You can't just let us have one nice moment?"

I sighed, "Never, but same goes to you, I'm proud no matter what."

Leah leant towards me, "I know I shouldn't be saying this, but you go out there and play your heart out for her, will you?" She asked of me.
Leah loved Nana like her own flesh and blood, I knew she'd been thinking of her through this entire tournament, and I knew Nana would have been watching her, proud and beaming with joy for the young defender's success. 

I nodded, squeezing Leah's hand, "Of course I will, Alexia too."

Leah smiled, "Good, and if I win it's for her as well, know that."

Like Real People Do - Jill Roordजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें