And I Passed

Hunters POV

Real Madrid was a strong side, I could tell that soon as the whistle was blown and they snapped into action. But Arsenal was also strong and we were determined. If anything, Real Madrid walked onto the pitch today as the underdogs so we needed to take the so called advantage and run with it.

The ball was mainly in the middle of the pitch, both teams battling to score and also defend. Madrid looked like they were getting closer to our box but suddenly I saw a chance, I intercepted the pass and began making a breakaway. I was known for my speed so even as the defenders chased after me, I was bounds ahead. 

This was the chance we'd been waiting for the entirety of the first half but I took one, tiny look back and saw Jill running behind me. The goal was clear; I should have shot. I knew I'd score easily from this position, it would have been a walk in the park. 

On the pitch every decision has to be made faster than the blink of an eye, we're acting purely on trained instincts rather than thought out logic. But something in those moments, was telling me to pass to Jill, so I did. 

The ball left my foot and quickly reached Jill's, I watched as she launched the ball into the back of the net. 

Jill threw her arms up in the air, cheering as she'd scored on her debut. We all ran over to her, piling into a hug as they all congratulated her on the goal. Though I stayed quiet, I was a little confused why'd I'd passed to Jill when I usually took any opportunity to score, especially considering mine and Leah's bet. 

Before we'd even walked back to our positions, the half time whistle was blown so we all walked back towards the tunnel, still with the elation of the recent goal. 

Leah ran up behind me, putting her hand on the small of my back, "That was out of character," She whispered.

To be honest, I was shocked as well, "Yeah," I muttered, "I don't really know what happened."

"You passed, that's what happened," Leah explained to me, her eyes widened.

"God knows why," I huffed as Leah and I sat back down in the changing rooms. 

Leah rubbed her hands together, that mischievous smile growing on her face, "Probably because you're so excited to taste my drink."

I scoffed, "Yeah right," her head had grown so close to mine, so I gave her a shove, "You absolute doofus."

Leah smacked me back, "I think you're the stupid one here. I have not let a single goal in! You're still yet to score!"

Kim walked over to us, an unapproving scorn on her face as she pulled us apart, "No fighting guys. Joe is trying to talk."

"Sorry Joe," Leah apologized, very quickly growing quiet which made me chuckle; she was a sucker for the rules.

Joe went through the plan for the second half which was to apply more pressure to Madrid, meaning they'd have to defend deeper and then be more likely to slip up. In my mind, the plan was always to create goals, so I grew slightly bored. As I chewed on a piece of gum, I looked across the changing room, watching as everyone listened so intently and then I found a pair of eyes staring right back at me. 

It was Jill. She smiled at me, her expressions warm as she mouthed a thankyou. I just slightly smiled back then adverting my gaze to literally any other direction as I continued to act unbothered and uninterested. 

"Hunter!" Joe clicked his fingers, trying to retrieve my attention, "Hunter!"

My head snapped towards him, eyes wide.

"You with us?" He asked.

"Yep," I nodded, leaning forward on my knees, "I'm right with you coach. With you the whole way."