I Trust You

Jill's POV

Over the next six weeks we slotted into a routine; Hunter refused to leave Nana's side at night so her and Alexia always slept in the hospital. The day would start with me driving to pick Hunter up for training and her rehab sessions and then we'd drive straight back to the hospital and I'd stay until Hunter eventually forced me home.
It definitely wasn't an easy time but I was just doing my best to make it a little less tiring for the three of them. 

It was times like this when I truly lost my faith in the universe because how could it see someone who'd already been through too much and now add this devastating loss into her life.

Nana seemed in the most truly joyous spirits of them all; yes, she was tired and in unbearable pain but she never complained. Nana was just a lovely soul, there was no other way to say it, because she'd taken so many people under her wing that weren't family by blood, all of those Arsenal girls were heartbroken when they heard the news because Nana was everyone's Nan; she shared her love so generously. 

At first Hunter was going to take time off from the club, she didn't want to leave Nana for a second, but Nana had told Hunter her dream; to see her granddaughter play one last time. 
Hunter was meant to be a couple of weeks from match fit but seeing as she was ahead of schedule, she'd make her comeback on the final game of the season today; Nana's final game too. 

I knew Hunter was hurting, I knew she was dying inside but she never showed it; at least she never showed it when anyone was watching. Since that day of Nana's diagnosis, Hunter had done nothing other than laugh with those treasured two members of her family and talk for hours on end. 

Knowing it would all come to an end soon was heartbreaking, knowing that the clock was ticking and nothing could pause it was challenging because all they wanted was more time. All everyone wanted was more time, it seemed that it was the one thing we all spent our lives wishing for, yet one of the few things money couldn't buy.

Seeing as I'd suffered a very minor injury to my ankle in training a few days ago, Joe had decided to rest me today seeing as the world cup was quickly approaching and the risk wasn't worth it. Usually, I'd be itching to get out onto that pitch but I'd promised to take good care of Nana and Alexia, she'd taken time off in order to spend Nana's last weeks by the beds side, so I'd just parked my car in the hospital car park.

The maze that this hospital once seemed now felt simple as a house layout, I didn't even have to question my direction as I found my way towards Nana's room. 

There it was room 312.

A number that had now been permanently ingrained into my mind for more than one reason. 

"Hello Jill," Nana sent me a weak smile, though she never complained or searched for pity, I could see her deterioration; it seemed that soon as she discovered her illness and that there was no hope for recovery, she had no choice but to accept the pain and suffering. Even if I hadn't known Nana for long, she'd found a special place in my heart just like everyone else in the Arsenal academy; none of us could even think about loosing her.

I paid her back with a wide smile, "Morning Nana, how are you?" I gave her a gentle hug then sat by her bed, seeing Alexia wasn't in the room. 

Nana shrugged, "You know, could be worse."

"Where's Alexia?" I asked. I'd grown rather close to Hunter's older sister in the recent weeks.

"Alexia went to get breakfast and showered," Nana replied.

I nodded, "Are you excited for the match today?"

Nana smiled, it was warm like always but there was a mist to her eyes, it was the feeling I imagined when playing the last game for a club your devoted your life to, this was Nana's last game. Her last dance with Arsenal, her last time clapping her granddaughter on with pride and her last time seeing the girls she loved play their hearts out.