You're A Character

Hunter's POV

We reached the hotel and I instantly trailed towards mine and Ona's room, getting into bed with the plans of staying there until tomorrow's training. I'd told the girls I was tired, they'd also suggested I take a nap after the busy day it had been.

I turned my phone on for the first time in days, seeing the notifications pop up on my screen, the majority of them being from Jill, though that was only because she must have text me every hour of the day, with a little update on her life or asking if I was okay.

She was worried. That made me feel sick.

I knew she'd be wanting me to call her and tell her how I was feeling, I knew she would be forever devoted to helping me and her kindness was probably why I'd first loved her so much but I felt to push my problems onto her, would be taking advantage of her kindness. That was something I'd never want to do.
So I turned my phone back off, pretending that I'd never seen her messages of worry and tried to take the nap that Alexia told me to have.
Maybe if I took my sisters advice I'd feel better, it had worked in the past and I hoped it would work again because I knew where this hole led me to. It was a place I'd seen before and vowed I'd never return to, I promised that I'd never let myself, but somehow I'd just slipped. And how could you catch yourself when you were tumbling into a dark, hollow abyss?

I tossed and turned, never able to get comfortable or break free of this hallowing emptiness which had spread through my entire body. It hurt, I curled into a ball and held myself tight, gritting my teeth so that the sobs never broke through because then it would have meant that I was truly broken again. I wouldn't admit to that fact, I'd still try to run from it.

I must have been there for hours, the light no longer broke through the gaps in the blinds and I meekly opened my eyes to see that nothing had changed. Though I'm not sure what revelation I'd been looking for, I'd just been foolishly hoping maybe things would have been different. Maybe I would no longer feel this way.

I suddenly heard the hotel phone buzz from my beside table, meaning that it was either the reception or someone from management. Hauling myself up by my elbows, I reached for the phone even when my body tried to push my back down, "Hello?" I asked, wondering who'd be calling this late in the evening.

"Hi Hunter, I hope I'm not interrupting you," I recognized his voice even if his tone had now differed.

"Hello Jorge," I tried to hold back my groan, what did he want with me now? "Want did you want to speak to me about?" I got straight to the point, hoping this phone call would end sooner rather than later.

"I was wondering if we could have this conversation in my office, there's just a few things I'd like to talk about from the match today. I was impressed by your performance."

I slumped back against the head board, knowing I couldn't exactly refuse, "Thankyou, what time should I be there?" I assumed this meeting would take place tomorrow seeing as it was growing rather late, though being a footballer at national camp meant office hours didn't officially exist, but we all expected them as a formality.

"Now would be ideal."

"Okay," I furrowed my eyebrows, "I'll leave now."

"Thankyou, look forward to seeing you Hunter."

I hung up the phone, wondering where I'd find the effort to climb out of bed and walk to Vilda's office. But somehow it was found when I remembered the importance of my place on the national team and Vilda was the person who kept me here. I pulled on some trainers and for some reason brought my phone along as I slammed the door behind me, figuring I'd be back before Ona, so I didn't need to leave a note.