Chapter 75: Somethings Off

A/N: Sorry I was gone so long! I'm officially back and updating again! I've released the first chapter of my other Maggie fanfic if you want to check that out! But like I said, I'll also be continuing this story too!
I hope you enjoy and I love you all! <33

The winter months soon passed and it soon became spring again. We spent the first couple weeks preparing and planting seeds to grow for summer, as well as checking all the animals and offspring.

Hershel asked me to go get Rick and bring him to the pig pen, so I did exactly that and by the time we both got back, Hershel was crouched over the pig who was laid flat on the ground.

Maggie proped herself off the fence and greeted Rick and myself as we approached them. Rick nodded a greeting, though he had a concerned look on his face.

I stood beside Maggie as Rick went into the pen and started discussing things with hershel.

I nodded to the pig.
"How's she holding up?"
Maggie shook her head and sighed.
"Not good. She might die before she gives birth. Seems like the weathers getting to her."
"Can't Hershel do a cesarean?"
"He can, but I'm not sure the piglets would live if we have to get them out prematurely."
I sighed and leaned against the fence.
"What exactly is wrong with her?"
Maggie shook her head.
"I don't know. Dad's not sure either. Our best guess is shes just got weak or sick from the weather, that or the pregnancys taking a toll. Maybe even both..."
I nodded and sighed.
"How's everything else?"
"Everything else is fine. Its just her. I think it's probably because the pregnancy weakened her."
I hummed and nodded.
"Reckon a rest will heal her up?"
Maggie rested her head on her hand.
"That's what I'm hoping. If not, I at least want the piglets to live. If we can breed them they'll be a good source of food for everyone, especially now there's more of us."
I looked over my shoulder to the community we had now built for ourselves.
"Yeah, it would..."
I looked back to her and hummed in thought.
"Maybe I can find a wild boar and bring it back? Or we could find some rabbits and breed them?"
She laughed softly and shook her head.
"And where would you find those?"
I shrugged.
"Dunno, but I'm sure not everything has been eaten. Coco and Cream weren't."
"They are wolves. They're not defenseless like a rabbit or boar."
"Boars aren't defenseless! Have you seen one? One headbutt and you're out!"
She smiled and rolled her eyes as she flicked my nose.
"You can't knock a walker out, silly."
"Oh yeah...Good point."

Rick and Hershel finished up their little chat and came back over to us with serious faces.

Maggie helped Hershel out the pen and I helped Rick.
"So what are we going to do?" Maggie asked them.
Hershel sighed and shook his head.
"Not much we can do. It's more a matter of what to do about the piglets."
"Whether to perform a cesarean?" I asked.
Rick nodded his head.
"Yes, Hershel reckons theres a possibility that she'll have a difficult labour, that and the heat is making her a little unwell."
I nodded in thought and Maggie sighed.
"Is there not any medication we can make?"
Hershel shook his head.
"I'm not even sure if she's actually unwell, but she is definitely having complications. Could be sick, could be the change of seasons, could even just be the pregnancy taking a toll on her."
"So we just have to wait and see? Hope she's okay? That's a bit...risky isn't it?"
Rick wiped the sweat from his forehead.
"There's nothing indicating she's fatally sick, it's more a preparation in case she has a difficult birth, which is looking likely."
I looked to the pig and scanned over it cautiously.
"That what you both think?" Maggie asked.
Hershel nodded.
"I reckon the heat and pregnancy is just getting to her is all. She needs lots of water, food and rest."
Maggie nodded and Rick agreed, but I didn't quite feel the same. Something just felt...off.
"For now, make sure none of the kids come to bother her, she needs as much peace as possible." Rick ordered.
"Wasn't planning on it..." I said.
Maggie rolled her eyes at me and nodded.
"Got it. I'll ask Carl and Sophia to watch over the other kids."
Rick nodded in appreciation.
"Good. Make sure to keep me updated on her."
Hershel chuckled.
"Will do."