Chapter 3: The Highway

We had been walking along the highway for two days now, this was the second. I had no idea where on the highway Sophia had lost her group, whether we had passed it or wether it was further up. Sophia had yet to recognise any cars, so I'm guessing they're further up the highway. The only positive to being lost on a highway is that there was a lot of cars to find supplies from. That, and the only way was forward.

Since we had been together a while, I had learned a little more about her situation. How a herd of walkers came and scared her. How she's been lost for a few days now. And that she was, indeed, only eight years old. I had told her my name, but not much else.

"Y/n, do you think they're still here?" Sophia asked. Her voice barely above a whisper.
"I'm sure they are. Your ma' wouldn't just leave you here."
I gave her a small pat on the back, and she ran forward finding new motivation.

As she passed a car a walker suddenly pounced on her. In seconds she was on the ground screaming.
"Y/N!" She cried, trying to fend off the corpse.
"SOPHIA!" I Yelled, rushing over to her quickly and yanking the biter off of her and shoving my machete into it's skull.

After a few moments of silence, Sophia managed to calm her sobs. I turned and placed my hand on her shoulder.
"Are you okay, Sophia?" I asked, scanning her small frame for any bites or scratches. She nodded, sniffling slightly.
"I'm okay..." She slowly got up, dusting off her pants.

I stood and grabbed my knife from my belt. I was reluctant to give it to her, but she needs some kind of weapon. I won't always be nearby to help...

"Sophia" I called, her head tilted as she walked over. I held out my knife for her to take.
"Take my knife. I might not always be close enough to save you"
She reached out her hand and it shook slightly as she gently took the knife from my palm.
"Are you going to leave?" She peered up at me.
"Of course not. But if that happens again, and I'm not nearby, you need to defend yourself, okay?" I instructed as I grasped her shoulders gently. She gave me a small nod as she clutched the knife.
"Okay. But how? I'm too small" She frowned.

I stood straight and thought for a moment. I then took a fighting stance, machete in hand.
"You've seen me do it before. But I'll show you again." I said as my gaze caught a biter in the distance. I whistled gently and grabbed its attention.

It slowly stumbled over, growling and gurgling. I motioned for Sophia to stay back and watch closely.

"As the biter comes to you, have your weapon ready. Don't take your eyes off it." I instructed as it came forward.
"Then, kick it's leg. They're not too strong so they'll tumble over" I continued, doing as I had instructed.
"Then once on the ground" I pulled my machete up and brought it down into the biters head.
"Stab it's head"

I turned to looked at Sophia who had been clutching her knife tightly. I went over to her and knelt down in front of her.
"They may be big, but you're fast and smart. You can knock them over, then kill them" I told her. She nodded and a small smile appeared on her face.
"Okay, I'll remember that."

We continued down the highway. It was almost sunset and we didn't appear to be any closer to finding Sophia's group. Until I felt a tug from beside me.

I looked to Sophia and saw an excited look on her face. She pointed ahead of us.
"That's Mr Dixons truck! He left it nearby so we could use his bike!" She explained, rushing forward, but carefully this time. I jogged after her, reaching the truck.

It appeared empty. Nothing and no one was inside. There was no sight of his bike either. I couldn't tell whether that was a good or bad thing, till I heard Sophia gasp.
"That's mama's car! The silver one! Look it has food!"

We both ran over to the car. I scanned the area making sure it was safe, as Sophia grabbed the snacks and read the sign on the bonnet.
"Wait here, Sophia. We're coming." She read. I looked at the sign and picked up a bottle of water, taking a sip.

Wherever her group were, they were safe. They had food and water to spare at the least. I offered Sophia some water and she gladly took some after eating a chocolate bar.
"We're close." I whispered.

After a few minutes of looking nearby the car the sun was setting. There was nothing else that remained of her group on the highway, aside from the sign and food. Staying in the car for the night wouldn't be bad. We could even stay a while, a day or two to see if her group came. It sounded like a plan.

Sophia and I stayed in her mothers car for the next two days, but there was no sign of her group coming and she began to panic, fearing they had left her. I too was thinking about that possibility.

It was the morning of our fourth day on the highway and I wasn't going to stand around any longer. I told Sophia to pack up any food and water, anything useful really, as I looked for a working car.

"What if they come and I'm not here?" Sophia argued. I took a breath as my heart began to beat fast.
"We'll find them, Sophia. But not here. We've stayed long enough."
She nodded, clutching her knife.
"Shall we leave a sign?" She asked.
"Okay" I nodded.

I paused my look around the cars and walked up to her asking for her knife. She gave it to me and I went to her mothers car and scratched an arrow, in the direction that we were going, into the bonnet. Then I gave the knife back. Sophia seemed to nod in approval, a small thank you escaping her lips.

After a while, I had managed to find a working car and some fuel. I was sick of walking, so a working car was a stroke of luck and considering Sophia's grinning face, I'd say she agreed. We packed our stuff into the trunk and we both got into the car. Me in the drivers seat and Sophia in the back. I gave her a raised brow through the mirror.

"Don't want to be in the front?" I asked, turning to look at her. She shook her head, a sad look on her face.
"I'm not allowed"
"Says who?"
"Mama. She says I'm not old enough."
I gave her a mischievous smile.
"But your mama isn't here, is she?"
Sophia let out a giggle and immediately jumped into the front passenger seat.
"Seatbelt on?" She gave me a nod.
"Then off we go!"