Chapter 63: Training Wheels

I was right. I didn't get any sleep last night...at all. Maggie could definitely be a lot more bossy if she wanted to...
and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not...
Though one thing I knew wasn't good, was Daryl finding us this morning with Winter on top of his shoulders...
I almost died from embarrassment right then and there...
And I'm pretty sure Daryl would've actually died if he didn't hurry off to shield Winter's eyes, because Maggie was not pleased...
Let's just say, if looks could kill, he'd be dead a million times over.

Despite my lack of sleep, and rather... hectic morning, I still decided I'd start to teach the kids survival skills today. Of course I ran everything by Rick first, when he got back yesterday, and he agreed to it.

I spent my morning gathering a few walker corpses from outside and bought them back into the courtyard, making targets out of them. I considered just letting the kids use me to practice, or making small targets out of cardboard, but I decided it was better to get them used to being up close to walkers.

I stuck three walkers onto some stakes I had made and stuck them into the ground, so they'd stand upright, like actual live walkers. They were a little lop sided, but hey, I could only do so much.

After lunch, Maggie and I took the kids out to the courtyard to begin their first lesson.

Maggie raised a brow at the three walkers I had propped up on sticks.
"I'm guessing they're supposed to be targets?"
"Darling, I didn't exactly have a lot to work with."
She chuckled and shook her head.
"I didn't say they were bad."
"You implied it."
"Nooo.."
"I tried my best, okay!?"
She chuckled and gave me a small hug.
"I know and they're...very...well made."
I crossed my arms.
"I'll have you know they look great!"
"That's what I said."
"You didn't mean it."
"I did."
I eyed her and a smile began to crack across her face.
"Alright, I didn't. But it's a smart idea to use them as targets."
"That's better. Thank you."
She rolled her eyes and smiled.
"You're welcome."

I turned to the kids to see that they weren't as amused as Maggie or I was with the walker targets. In fact, they looked pretty disgusted by them. Well, Winter wasn't, she'd seen walkers up close before. She wasn't fond of the smell though...

Sophia looked up to me and pouted.
"Do we have to use them?"
"They're really gross..." Carl added.
"And they look scary..." Sophia said.
I sighed and lowered myself to their level.
"You'll have to get used to it. I'm afraid there's a lot worse looking and smelling walkers outside, than these three."
Sophia and Carl pouted.
"Like that one with those big red worms hanging out it's stomach?" Winter asked.
Carl and Sophia gagged.
"That's gross! Was there really a walker like that?" Sophia asked.

Maggie pulled me aside and the kids began to chatter amongst themselves about the grossest walkers they'd ever seen.

Maggie crossed her arms and looked to me.
"Big red worms?"
"She saw a gutted walked on the way back to the prison..."
Maggie gave me a disapproving look.
"I didn't mean her to see it. Besides, does it really matter? It's a sight she'll have to get used to..."
Maggie sighed and nodded.
"I guess you're right. I just hope it didn't bother her.."
"Well, she thought it's guts were big worms so...I think we're fine."
She chuckled.
"I think that's worse."
I thought for a moment then nodded.
"Yeah...we should probably give her science lessons too whilst we're at it..."
She smiled and tucked a stray hair behind my ear.
"Dad can do that. He can teach her about veterinary when we get more animals."
I smiled at her.
"To pass down family techniques?"
She smiled and nodded.
"Dad likes to tell old family stories and techniques. It'll be good for the both of them."
I couldn't help but smile as I imagined Winter as a farmer.
"Winter Greene...I think the family name suits her."
Maggie nodded and smiled softly.
"I like the sound of that."