Chapter 14: Guard Duty

Today was the day they were going to do it. Rick was going to kill Randall. It had been two days since Rick and Shane came back from their failed attempt at letting Randall go. Andrea had been guarding the barn the past two days, and was supposed to guard it today too, till Randall was taken care of of course.

The past two days I had helped out around the camp and farm, I wasn't the type to sit still and do nothing. I helped Glenn reinforce the fences, I took watch with Dale a few times and I helped Maggie and Hershel check their livestock.

Today I decided to take over for Andrea in guarding the barn. She wanted to go "check the perimeter" with Shane, so she had asked me to fill in for her. I agreed since I didn't have anything better to do.

I grabbed a bottle of water and a few peaches to snack on whilst I guarded the barn. Dale also gave me his hat, since it was fairly hot out, which I appreciated. Rick also gave me a handgun, "just in case".

I sat in front of the barn, leaning back on the doors. I had expected Randall to try and talk to me, bargain for his life at least, but he just sat in the corner of the barn scowling at me, last I checked anyway. I guess once he saw that it was me on duty, he knew he couldn't bargain with me.

I sat outside for quite a while, munching on some peaches and taking a sip of water every now and then. Of course, I peeked through the barn every now and then too, to make sure that Randall was still inside, which he was.

"Having fun out here?" I heard a familiar voice call.
"You know, for once I'm glad to hear your angelic voice." I joked.
Maggie scoffed and walked over to me.

She sat besides me cross-legged, our knees touching. She leaned back on the barn and flicked Dale's hat.

"What the hell are you wearing?" She joked.
"It's Dale's. As great as I look in it, it's definitely not for me" I said posing.
"You look like you belong in a documentary" She chuckled.
"Yeah, I don't doubt that."
She took the hat off my head and ruffled my already messy hair.
"Hey!" I swatted her hands.
"You could've just borrowed my hat"
"Now you tell me. I would've loved to be a cowgirl."
She slapped my arm, a smile on her face.
"On second thought, it wouldn't suit you. The bucket hat suits a city girl much better." She teased.

She gave me the hat back and I placed it back on my head. I offered her some of my water and she took a sip, then gave it back.

"I was looking for you all mornin'."
I cocked my head at her.
"What for? Trying to feed me to your chickens again?"
She scoffed.
"No. I just...wanted to talk. It's nice, having you around." She confessed.
I couldn't help but smile.
"You too. I mean, I like having you around."

She smiled and shuffled a bit closer, she squinted her eyes, as the sun shone in them, so I leaned forward to block the sun from her face. She looked at me.

"You didn't need to do that"
I shrugged, and stayed in place, blocking the sun.
"Thought you'd be more comfortable."
"Thanks"
We both stopped talking and sat in silence.

It stayed quiet for a while. It wasn't uncomfortable, on the contrary, it was quite peaceful. We just sat there, enjoying each others company.

The silence made me think, and a thought passed through my head. Something I had been wondering about for a while.

"What's with you and Glenn?" I spoke up.
Maggie turned to me and looked me in the eyes.
"What do you mean?" She seemed a bit confused.
"He talks about you nonstop, you know?"
Her mouth formed an 'o' shape, and she chuckled, looking away.
"I didn't know that. I've spoken to him a few times, he's sweet. Bit of a dork, but sweet." She explained, her face seemed to soften.
"You like him?"

Her head snapped back to me, a look of panic on her face. She waved her hands.
"No, no! I mean I like him, he's great." She began to get tongue tied.
I laughed watching her panicked expression.
"Sure seems like you do" I joked.
"No really. I-"
She took a breath and calmed herself down, then looked me straight in the eyes.

"Glenn's a great guy. He's funny and sweet. I like him but, not romantically, more like a brother, or a best friend. He's not my type. I'm more into..."
I couldn't hear the last part as she had mumbled it.

For some reason, hearing her say she didn't like Glenn romantically made me feel relieved. I wasn't sure why. Perhaps I was just worried someone would get their heart broken? I couldn't tell.

"Maybe you need to tell him that? It seems like he likes you, a lot." I suggested.
Maggie's face fell a bit, like she was disappointed and looked away from me.
"Yeah, maybe"

I didn't understand why she seemed upset. I wasn't good with romance. I mean, I had never dated anyone before, so really, I had no right to give her advice. Perhaps it was because she didn't want to hurt him?

"Hey" I called to her softly. She kept her gaze down.
"What's wrong? If you're worried about hurting him then-"
"It's not that. Just-Forget it." She sighed.
I bit my lip, then turned her head to face me, gently.
"Well something is bothering you."
She looked me in the eyes and stayed silent.

We stayed like that for a few minutes. I searched her face, trying to read her expressions. Her brows were slightly furrowed, her eyes seemed to shine a little less, her lips...

I quickly let go of her face, averting her eyes, more specifically her face. What was I just thinking?
"Sorry, I just, I was worried." I mumbled.
"It's fine. I.."
We both went quiet again. Avoiding each others gaze.

"It's just...something stupid. It'll pass." Maggie spoke up, then stood brushing herself off, beginning to walk off.
I quickly stood and grabbed her hand.
"Did I upset you? I'm sor-"
"No, you didn't upset me."
"Then why-"

She pointed ahead of us, to the fields in front of the house. Daryl, Rick and Shane were on their way over. It was time.

I apologised again and she let out a soft chuckle.
"See you later, city girl. Don't come back too late." She said softly, slowly letting go of my hand, then walked away, back to the house. I hadn't even realised we were still holding hands, till she had let go.

When she had let go, my hand felt slightly cold. Today was a hot day, and even though it was evening and the heat had cooled slightly, it was still warm. So why did my hand feel cold after she had let go?

I sighed and curled my palm as the three men approached. I really had begun to care for this group...