Chapter 30: Formula

I got out the truck and slung the duffle bag onto my back, running to catch up to Maggie. She handed me a small revolver once I had caught up to her.
"What's this for?" I asked.
"I know you didn't bring one."
I patted my jeans and realised she was right, then took the revolver from her.
"Ah"
She rolled her eyes.
"For someone so smart, you're awfully stupid." She said walking off.
"You're not wrong there..." I mumbled.

We walked down the road, until I spotted a store and stopped Maggie by holding my hand out.
"You reckon that's the store?"
Maggie followed my gaze.
"Yeah. Let's hope it has something."
I nodded and unsheeved my knife, killing a lone walker as we ran to the store.

We looked through the window, not seeing anything. I stood back and Maggie knocked on the glass. Nothing popped out.
"Seems safe." She said as she opened the door, as she did, a bell rang, making me jump.
"FUCking shit, fuck..stupid thing."
I heard Maggie snigger.
"Who even uses bells anymore?" I grumbled.

I reached up to the bell and cut the string it was connected to with my knife. I only just managed to reach it on my tiptoes. I heard Maggie hum.
"So you get scared of bells and you're a shortie." She teased.
I turned to her, seeing her lean on a shelf, a grin on her face.
I put my hands on my hips and pointed my knife at her.
"What happened to 'no unnecessary chatter'?" I asked sassily.
She huffed and turned, looking for formula.

The shop wasn't too large and didn't really have much things to look through. There wasn't that much of anything left, a few cans here and there, maybe a few clothes but that was it. Though, one thing did catch my eye. A necklace.

I walked over to case it layed in. It was beautiful. It was made from silver, pure silver, it seemed, as it hadn't rusted at all despite being here so long. It had a thin, delicate silver chain, with a locket attached to it. Of course, the locket was in the shape of a heart, but it was what was on it that made it perfect. Two horses were engraved onto it, their heads coming together to form a heart. It was a perfect gift for Maggie...

I looked to her and she was busy searching shelves. Perfect. Now to just sneakily take it and suprise her.

I scanned the glass case, however, I couldn't find how to open it. Usually these kinds of things had locks somewhere on them, or even draws underneath it that held the product...but there was none. I clicked my tongue. I'll just smash it then.

I grabbed a nearby shirt and wrapped it round my fist, then balled my fist up, smashing it down hard into the class making it shatter.
"What the hell are you doing?" Maggie called.
I heard her walk over and quickly took the necklace and hid it in my pocket.

I turned to her and she stared at me with a judgemental look.
"The stuff looked pretty...besides, it's not like there's cops around."
"Rick's a cop" She raised a brow.
"We live in a prison. What's he gonna do? Arrest me?"
Maggie smiled and chuckled lightly.
"Right-"

Suddenly the stores alarms began to blare. I must have set it off from smashing the display.
"Y/n, you idiot!" Maggie yelled.
She grabbed my arm and dragged me out the store.
"How was I supposed to know the alarm would still work? The lights don't!" I argued as we ran.

We ran back to the truck, well, I say we, Maggie ran and dragged me along. She avoided any walkers stumbling outside from nearby buildings and I killed any that got too close. Once we were in the truck, Maggie put her foot on the accelerator and sped off.

Maggie turned to me with a stern face.
"You're such an idiot, really. You come from the city, surely if there was one thing you knew, it's that stores had alarms."
I shrugged my shoulders.
"The world ended, I thought the alarms didn't work."
"Right. And you risked our lives for what? Sparkly jewellery?"
"Noooo..."