Chapter 42: I thought about it

After what felt like forever my clothes final dried and the walkers finally shuffled down the road to... go-knows-where, I don't care where they went either, as long as it wasn't the prison.

Maggie kept her distance from me ever since she got back from checking the road a while ago. She had a very stern, angry face and every now and then I'd catch her glaring at Michone.

I picked my dry clothes up, holding them to my chest, and stood as Michone and Maggie were packing their things.
"I'll, uh..go get dressed. I'll meet you by the truck."
Michone looked up to me and nodded, then she zipped up her bag and stood.
"You be alright by yourself?"
"I'll only be-"
Maggie walked past us, her bag slung over her shoulder. She nudged Michone as she walked by.
"She can dress herself." She spat.

Michone and I looked at each other for a moment, then Michone whistled and pat my shoulder, then backed away to leave.
"Oh, she is mad."
"Nooo, you think, Moe?" I replied sarcastically.
She chuckled.
"Mad with you. You best pray whilst you get dressed. She might eat you later."
I rolled my eyes and took off her jacket, throwing it at her.
"Just go!"
She chuckled, catching it, then walked off, waving.
"Best think about why she's mad! Or you might not see tomorrow!"

After she left I quickly pulled up my jeans, well, I tried doing it quickly but, shuffling into jeans can be a chore sometimes. I got my foot stuck in the jeans and almost fell into the lake again, but luckily I caught myself.
"I really need to start wearing sweatpants or something..."

I placed my hand over my chest, covering my brands. I closed my eyes and let out a breath, letting all the memories fade away. I threw on my shirt and jacket, ruffling my hair back into place after pulling them over my head. I kicked on my boots and grabbed my bag, making my way back to the truck.

When I got back to the truck, Michone was sitting in the back seat, jamming to a CD....I think. As for Maggie, well, she was leaned against the drivers side with her arms crossed, not looking any calmer.

"Hello, sunshine." I joked.
She looked at me and scoffed.
"Bout time. Get in." She ordered, climbing inside herself, then slamming the door.
"Okay..."
I quickly jogged round to the passengers side and hopped in.
As soon as I got inside, Maggie quickly started up the engine and sped off, making me headbut the window.
"Woah, relax a bit, Mags."
She grunted, then sighed.
"Sorry..." She muttered.

Michone was drumming her hands on the headrests of mine and Maggie's chairs, whilst bopping her head, listening to whatever CD she had put on. I reached over to the radio and popped the disc out.

"Hey! I was listening to that!" She complained.
I inspected the CD. It looked like a bunch of old-timey bands. The band that was on the disc, I couldn't recognise at all.
"What the hell is this shit?"
"Music" Michone replied
"A racket" Maggie argued.
"It is not! It's the finest of the 70s and 80s on that disc."
"Trash of the 70s and 80s..." I mumbled.
Michone smacked my head.
"You just don't appreciate true music."
I turned to her and smirked.
"So true music goes: 'OHHH AHAHAH'? Does it?"
Maggie chuckled briefly, and Michone kicked back in her seat.
"Whatever, you kids just don't get it."
I threw the CD onto the dashboard and kicked my feet up.
"And I don't want to, old lady." I sassed back.
Michone scoffed, but soon chuckled.

Throughout the ride back, despite a few moments of banter here and there, Maggie mostly nagged me, like everything I did annoyed her in some way...and she would hardly talk to Michone. I wasn't entirely sure why she was so mad, but Michone seemed to know...every time I looked at her, she just smirked at me like I was the dumbest person alive. Her words from earlier repeated in my mind...
"Think about it."
I closed my eyes and leaned against the car window. Think about it....think about it....