Chapter 12: Eggs

Rick had decided to take Randall to some place out of town and leave him there, Shane wasn't too happy with this decision, but Shane was never happy about anything, despite this, he had decided to go with Rick to set Randall free.

Rick and Shane had left early in the morning, leaving the farm fairly quiet and with not much to do.

I was sitting on the rocking chair on the porch a bit bored, no scratch that, very bored, I was very bored. I had wanted to go with Rick and Shane for at least something to do, but obviously got denied.

"How's the ankle?" A familiar voice called.
"It's alright, cowgirl." I turned to look to the steps, seeing Maggie leaning on the railings. She rolled her eyes.
"Won't drop that will you, city girl?"
"Not till you drop city girl." I fired back.

I stood from the rocking chair and walked over to her, leaning on the opposite side of the railing. We were face to face. A smug look was on her face.

"Well, since you're clearly not doing anything, you can help me out." She offered, leaning a bit closer.
"What do you need help with?"
"Collecting eggs. Farm chores, stuff like that."
I laughed and leaned my head on my palm.
"I'm sure you're more than capable of doing that."
She rolled her eyes and began to walk off.
"But, I'll help out since I have nothing else to do." I called.
She turned around, a smile on her face. She grabbed my arm.
"Come on then, city girl."

The chicken coops weren't too far from the farmhouse. I could see how their farm appeared untouched for so long, cause damn, they had a lot of chickens to feed them.

Maggie gave a basket to me and opened the fence.
"After you." She grinned.
I hesitated and gave her an unsure look.
"They won't kill me, right?"
She laughed.
"They're chickens."
"Yeah, but they're your chickens." I argued, stepping into the coop. I turned to her and walked backwards into the coop.
"They're probably evilll" I joked, waving my fingers.
She scoffed and shoved me inside, though a small smile crept it's way onto her face.
"Just collect the eggs. You do know what an egg looks like, right?" She joked.
I gave her a shocked face.
"Touché"

I turned to collect the eggs, avoiding any evil looking chickens. I collected quite a few in my basket, until I noticed a chicken eyeing me funny as I bent down to pick up another egg.

"Hey, you do you. I'll do me. And you know. I'll leave." I muttered to the chicken. Though it was pointless as it immediately charged forward and started pecking my feet.

"Hey! Hey! Stop! I assure you I don't taste nice." I argued with the chicken, trying to back away. Then another chicken started attacking me. I heard Maggie laughing from behind me.

"You said they weren't evil!"
She just kept laughing.
"They're not. You just know nothing about chickens."
They continued pecking me.
"Maggie..help!"
She snorted and leaned closer.
"Magic words?" She smiled.
I stayed silent and she began to walk away.
"Please, save me from the evil chickens."

Maggie turned back and shooed the chickens away, then grabbed my arm and exited the coop. The smile on her face never faded. I just grumbled.

"Definitely evil. Like their owner." I crossed my arms. She chuckled.
"Clearly they just don't like you."
"Clearly!"
She laughed and leaned closer, taking a feather from my hair.
"You really are a city girl, you know?"
I leaned closer to her, our faces inches apart.
"And you are the definition of a cowgirl"

We stood there like that for a few seconds, till someone walking over made us both jump back.
"Maggie, there you are. I was looking for you everywhere." Hershel scolded gently.
"Sorry, I was collecting eggs with, y/n"
Hershel nodded and gave me a small wave.
"Tish is feeling unwell, could you make lunch for everyone? I need to look after Beth."
Hershel looked to me with a gentle gaze.
"You can help Maggie too if you like, it's been a while since she's had a friend to talk to."
Maggie looked a bit embarrassed but I nodded.
"Sure, you can count on me, Mr Greene"
"Hershel, is fine."
I nodded and he walked back to the house.

I turned to Maggie and pat her back.
"Awh, I'll be your friend, cowgirl."
She slapped my arm and gave me a playful scowl.
"Shut up. Let's go make lunch before everyone gets hungry."
She began to walk off, egg basket in hand and I chased after her.

As we walked through the fields she asked me a question.
"Where did you go yesterday? You know, that was secret?"
I shook my head and smiled.
"Just spoke to Rick about Randall."
"That why he changed his mind? About killing him?"
"I don't know. I just wanted to give him peace of mind"
She chuckled and nudged my arm.
"For someone who wants to leave, you sure do care a lot about everyone."

I stayed silent the rest of the walk, letting her words sink in. Did I really care about them? After a few days? They weren't any of my business, not really. I only came here to bring Sofia back to her mother. And yet, thinking about leaving them now...hurt a little.

When we got inside the kitchen, we placed the eggs on the counter and washed our hands.

"What are we making? Sandwiches?"
Maggie paused and looked through the cupboards.
"Guess so."
"Why not something different?"
"Like what?" She asked, getting the bread and other ingredients.
"Well, we have eggs" I argued, pointing to the counter.
"We can't eat just eggs." She chuckled.
"No, not just eggs."

I walked to the cabinet and took out a couple tins of baked beans I had placed in there. Maggie watched me from the counter, unsure of what I was doing. I placed the beans with the other ingredients.

"Egg, beans and toast." I smiled.
"And how are we going to cook it?"
"Grill. Even if you don't have one, we can easily make one."
Maggie smiled, a bit amused.
"Right. And you can make one?"
I leaned closer to her and whispered in her ear.
"I may be a city girl but I know a few things."
She stepped back a bit, but still kept close.
"Show me then, city girl"
A mischievous grin plastered her face and I took her hand.
"With pleasure, cowgirl"