Chapter 27: Alarms

It had been a couple of weeks since Rick and Daryl brought back the animals from the farm. They had made a few trips back and forth, getting anything we may need to self sustain ourselves, make a living.

Hershel and Beth were the two who mainly took care of the animals and planting crops, well, mainly Hershel, Beth took care of Lori and Carl most of the time.

But today was cause of celebration, today was the day I could take my stitches out, since my wound had finally healed up enough to do so, which I was ecstatic about, Maggie not so much.

I sat in a chair in front of Hershel, my shirt pulled up so he could access my stitches. Maggie leaned on a wall nearby with her arms crossed and an annoyed look on her face. She always looked cute when she was annoyed...

"I still think we should leave it a while." She said.
I groaned and looked to her.
"I'll go insane if I have to stare at these walls any longer."
Hershel chuckled and began to carefully pull out the stitches.
"She's had enough rest, Maggie. She'll be fine."
Maggie rolled her eyes and I poked my tongue out at her. She scoffed, a small smile on her face.
"You are so childish."
"And you are super bossy"
Hershel chuckled.

Hershel had began to act like a father figure to me. He had taken care of me ever since I was shot and I began to grow a soft spot for the old man.

"Now, now, y/n. Maggie has a point. Don't overdo it now. Don't go getting hurt after you've just healed." He lectured.
I groaned.
"I'm not that stupid."
"That's debatable." Maggie joked.
I gave her a playful glare and she smirked.
"You can't even build a fence straight."
"When will you let that go!? It was my first time, okay? I'm not a seasoned cowgirl like you."
Hershel and Maggie chuckled.
"The fence was bad." Hershel said softly.
"Hershel!"

The two of them kept laughing and poking fun at me, whilst Hershel pulled out the last of the thread.

"You can't build a fence, but, you can look after yourself, so don't go causing trouble." He said softly, patting my shoulder.
I stood and gave him a salute.
"Yessir."
He smiled and turned to place his medkit away.

I began to leave the cell block to ask Rick for something to do, Maggie following behind me, but Hershel called her back.
"Not you, Maggie. You need to take care of Lori today."
I heard a small mumble from her as I left the block.

I hadn't spent too much time with Maggie lately, as she was busy going on runs and learning how to perform a cesarean, just in case Lori's birth didn't go smoothly and Hershel wasn't around. I didn't want to admit it, but, I did miss her when she wasn't around...it felt like..

I paused my walking and slapped my cheeks. I stood in the middle of the prisons hallway. I needed to stop. Feelings made me weak. I knew that. Hell, it was the reason I got shot in the first place.

I shook my head and took a deep breath. Enough was enough. I said I'd leave when I had healed, I practically had now. Everyone was fine and safe. They had settled down and made this place home. I could leave them now. They didn't need me. I didn't need them...

I turned on my heel and went to my cell, grabbing my bag and shoving a few of my belongings inside. I looked to the rifle by my bed and debated whether to take it. I decided I would and threw it over my shoulder.

Luckily, I didn't need to sneak out as everyone was busy. Maggie was occupied with Lori and everyone else was occupied with jobs, paying me no mind.

I walked out of the block, into the courtyard, when I got stopped by Glenn.
"Balls" I muttered.
"Hey, y/n, what are you doing?"
I turned to him. He had his brow raised and was carrying a crate of fertiliser.
"Well, I'm finally clear to leave. Thought I'd scout around a bit." I lied.
"Rick ask you to do that?"
I shook my head.
"No, but since I've been stuck inside, I don't know the layout. Thought I'd go look."
He nodded, believing me.
"Ah. Hey.." He whispered, leaning closer.
"If you find any chocolate out there, bring me back some?"
I felt my heart break at his smile but I pushed my feelings down.
"Sure.."

He walked off to Hershel in the big courtyard and I walked off to the hole in the fence I had used to leave before. I bent down and began untying it with a heavy heart, my fingers moving slowly and reluctantly. After a few moments of fiddling, I managed to untie the wire and left, tying it back up behind me.

I walked along the dead leaves in the woods, my head low. I didn't look back to the prison, I couldn't bare to.

Deep down, I didn't want to leave, but I knew it was best. I was alone before everything went to shit, I was alone when everything went to shit, I didn't need people then and I don't now.

At least, that's what I kept telling myself, over and over and over. Deep down, deep, deep down, I knew that what Maggie had said before was right. I did care, I was just scared to admit it.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by loud alarms blaring. My head shot up and I spun around in a circle, searching for the source of the sound. It was then, that I realised, that there's only one place a loud alarm would sound from, the prison...

My breath hitched and I was froze in place, my grip on my knife tightened to the point I knew my knuckles had gone white. A million thoughts ran through my head at once.
What had happened?
Were they okay?
Were they in trouble?
Was it walkers?
Was it people?

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I was tackled down, hitting my head on the ground hard. I blinked and saw a walker on top of me. I quickly regained my senses and held it in place with my arm. Luckily, my grip had been so tight on my knife, that I hadn't let go of it, even in the fall. I quickly aimed my knife and stabbed it's head, it's dead corpse falling limp onto me. I kicked it's body off and stood, brushing myself off, trying to regain my composure.

The alarms were still blaring. I took a deep breath, trying to think.
"Ignore it, ignore it, ignore it" I muttered, but each second I grew more worried. My head felt like it was spinning and I couldn't stop it.

I knew I shouldn't give into my emotions. I knew in a world like this, it was better to follow your head than your heart. I knew that. But before I could even realise it, my legs were carrying me back to the prison.

The only thought on my mind was, I hope she's okay. Please, let her be okay...