Chapter 21: Close Call

I grabbed the sniper and flung it over my shoulder, making sure to take a spare magazine and shove it in my pocket, before rushing out of the booth and down the stairs.

I kicked open the hallway door and looked in all directions frantically, then I saw T-Dog rushing to the outer courtyard and followed him.

As soon as I stepped outside I saw Maggie being pinned by a huge, bulky walker in riot gear. It was dressed head to toe in body armour, from a helmet to thick boots. Maggie couldn't shake it off and couldn't get to it's head because of it's helmet. T-Dog tried to pull the walker off but it wouldn't budge, he then tried to take the helmet off the walker, but it was like it was glued to it's head.

I quickly took the sniper off my shoulder and checked it's magazine, luckily, it had a few bullets inside. I clipped it back together and aimed the gun.
"T-Dog, move it! Maggie, stay down!" I yelled.
T-Dog looked back to me then, noticing my aimed gun, quickly got out of the line of fire. Maggie looked to me from underneath the walker and tried to stay as low and still as she could.

I fired the gun. The shot echoed in the air. I cursed myself for being so loud, but it was the only way I could save Maggie. The impact from the shot made the gun recoil and hit my chest, knocking some wind out of me.

I hit the walker straight in the back of the head, the bullet penetrated straight through the helmet, making it drop dead onto Maggie. T-Dog quickly dragged the corpse off of her and helped her up. Suddenly, I heard Maggie and T-Dog yell.
"Y/n!" Yelled Maggie.
"Aw shit, another one?" T-Dog complained.

I was knocked to the ground hard, by another walker covered in armour. I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. My stitches had ripped. I winced in pain, but managed to keep the walker from biting me. Luckily, the sniper was still in my hand.

I could see why Maggie and T-Dog couldn't stab the bastard. His head was completely covered by his helmet, which had fused with his head since he'd been in it so long and the only hole in the helmet was were it's mouth was.
"Whoever designed these things needs to be fired.." I breathed.

I heard T-Dog and Maggie fire their guns at the walker but their rounds didn't pierce the armour.
"Fuck!" Maggie yelled.
I heard them run forward to help.
"Stay back! I got it!" I grunted.
"Are you crazy? No way!" She yelled.
I adjusted the gun in my hand, trying to point it at the walkers head.
"T!"
T-Dog grunted and held Maggie back.
"What are you-?"
BANG.

I managed to shoot the walker in the head, the bullet going straight through him. His corpse fell onto my body. My ears rang from the sound of the gunshot being so close and the backfire of the gun dug into my reopened wound.

I felt the corpse be lifted off of me. I heard T-Dog and Maggie talk to me, but it sounded like mumbles for a good few seconds. I closed my eyes and tried to compose myself.

"Y/n, y/n!" Maggie called.
I opened my eyes, Maggie and T-Dog were leaning over me.
"I'm alive. Not bit, just...knocked down" I joked.
They helped me up.
"Man, I swear, we give you the easy job and you still get hurt." T-Dog lectured.
I closed my eyes and shook my head.
"Lecture me later, that shot made my head ring."
"You've got bigger things to worry about. You've opened your stitches." Maggie scolded, placing her hands on my wound.
"In all fairness, it wasn't my fault" I  joked, wincing at her touch.

They sat me down by a wall and Maggie ripped off part of her shirt to use as a temporary bandage, getting rid of my old bandages that were now covered in walker blood and dirt.

T-Dog looked at the two corpses on the ground and scratched his head.
"Yeah, the hell those freaks even come from? We cleared the whole courtyard."
Maggie shook her head tying up the cloth.
"I don't know, it jumped me when I was dragging a body out." She said.
"Probably came from one of the hallways, must have slipped past the guys." I suggested.
"Those big things? They're huge and in full armour, ain't no way in hell they slipped past." T-Dog said.

He crouched beside me and started waving his arms about frantically.
"Hell's with that armour anyway? Our blades didn't dent it and it just ate our bullets."

I looked to were their corpses were, then looked at the gun by my side.
"Ah"
T-Dog gave me a confused look. I pointed to the wall above the corpses.
"Must be high impact rounds, shot through their heads entirely and pierced the wall behind them. Chances are it's a high impact, semi-auto rifle." I explained.
"Hell's a gun like that doing here?" T-Dog asked.
I shrugged and pointed to the cell block.

"Found it in the guards booth, on the perch. He had keys to the whole building, handgun, flashlight, batteries, walkies, a map of the prison and a whole stache of bullets in a filing cabinet. He was either a gun nut or a warden. Maybe had high clearance here or something." I explained.

T-Dog's face light up.
"You found all that up there?"
I nodded. Maggie pulled the cloth tight and I winced.
"I know what you're thinking. You're not searching the rest of the prison, not after this" She said.
"Yeah, I know. I don't feel like facing your wrath right now." I joked.

Daryl, Rick and Glenn came rushing out the cell blocks door.
"We heard shots" Glenn gasped.
They looked down to us, noticing my injury and the two dead walkers on the ground. Daryl walked over and kicked one, making sure it was dead.

"Hell happened?" He asked.
"I know you said no shooting, but, Maggie was pinned and we couldn't get to it's head. As for normal rounds, they don't work against that" I explained, and handed Rick the rifle.
He took the gun, inspecting it.
"Woah, where'd you find that?" Glenn asked.
"Perch. Bunch of ammo up there too. As well as a few other things." I replied.

I tried to reach into my back pocket but it was too painful. Maggie, noticed and took the map and keys from my pocket, as she did we came face to face, her lips grazing my ear.
"Don't think I've let you off, we'll talk about this later" She whispered.
I felt my ears grow hot and turned away from her. I felt her chuckle, her hot breath on my neck, then she pulled away and gave the map and keys to Rick.

Rick inspected the map and keys.
"There's keys to every block?" He asked.
I nodded.
"And every room-facility...whatever. picked up a map too. Thought it'd be better than wandering around in the dark clueless." I explained.
Daryl took the map from Rick and nodded.
"Nice one." He complimented.

He gave the map back to Rick, who rolled it back up and tucked it in his pocket with the keys. He then handed the rifle back to me, but Maggie took it in my stead.
"Seems like you're a good shot with it, so keep it." He nodded.
Maggie placed it on her back.

Glenn looked around and tried to move the armoured corpses but they were too heavy.
"Since we're done clearing the hallways, we should help out here." He suggested.
Rick and Daryl nodded.
"Don't suppose you found any meds?" Maggie asked.
Glenn shook his head.
"We only cleared nearby halls and closed them off" He explained.

I heard Maggie click her tongue in frustration. Then turned to the three men and lectured them.
"Did you even look?" She asked.
"Well-"
She interrupted Glenn.
"So you didn't. Y/n is injured, and you didn't bother trying to find the infirmary?" She scolded.
"Ain't no point. Not in the dark. We'd trip on ourselves. Besides, we didn't even know the layout. We can look tomorrow, we have the map now." Daryl explained.

Maggie scoffed and I chuckled. I rested my hand on hers.
"I'm fine. Besides, we haven't checked the cells yet. This is a prison. Chances are, at least one of them had some kind of contraband or meds to get high on".
Rick nodded.
"Not a bad idea. We can look whilst we clean out the block."
Daryl came over and pat my shoulder.
"You, stay here. Don't bust yer wound any worse."

Everyone went back inside, Maggie lingered by my side, she hadn't moved her hand away from mine. Glenn stopped in the doorway and looked back at her. When she noticed she shook my hand off.

"You coming Maggie?" He asked.
She looked me in the eyes, and held my hand that wasn't in Glenn's view. She stroked my palm gently then let go and stood up.
"Yeah. You, stay there. I'll deal with you later" She ordered, pointing at me, whispering the last part.
"Aye aye, cowgirl."
She scoffed with a small smile on her face and walked inside with Glenn.
"Cowgirl?" I heard Glenn ask confused.
"Ignore it Glenn." She scolded, pushing him through the door.