Chapter 24: Tension

I couldn't sleep well at all last night, I was too worried about Hershel. Rick had moved him to his cell and handcuffed him to his bed, in case worst came to worst. It was now early morning and Hershel was still passed out, though luckily, he wasn't in a coma.

Since everyone was still asleep, as the sun hadn't quite risen yet, I decided to stitch myself up with the needle I found yesterday. Hershel wasn't in a state to help me now and, well, I didn't want to worry anyone else, so I decided to do it myself.

Luckily for me, Maggie was sound asleep since she was by Hershel's side most of the night, till Rick had made her sleep. I had also sterilised the needle over the fire yesterday, whilst no one was looking.

I sat on my bunk and ripped up an old shirt, pulling it apart from loose threads I found, careful not to snap them. I took my shirt off and poured some alcohol on a cloth, then cleaned my open wound. It stung, but I knew the worst was yet to come. I took some antibiotics, then threaded the needle, readying myself to insert it into my skin.

I took a few quick breaths then took in one big, sharp breath, as I inserted the needle, making the first stitch. I breathed out as the needle came out the otherside.
"Fuck..ugh...worse than I thought." I mumbled, breathing hard.
I clenched my teeth and took another breath, inserting the needle again and making another stitch. I bit my lip hard to endure the pain, I felt blood trickle down my chin.
"Come on, come on. You can do it." I mumbled making another stitch.

It took me a while to stitch myself, as I did it a bit slow due to the pain, but I got it done. The stitches looked crude and weren't professional by any means, but they would do. I took the remainder of my ripped shirt and used it as a clean bandage, wrapping it around myself.

I slowly stood from my bed, using it's post as support. I looked up to Maggie's sleeping form. Her eyes were puffy and I could see dried tears on her face. I reached up to move a strand of hair from her face but stopped myself, clenching my reaching hand.
"Sleep well, Maggie." I whispered and walked out the cell.

As I walked down the stairs, I noticed the sun was rising as shades of pink shone through the prison bars. I saw Rick and Daryl were already up and talking with the five prisoners from yesterday, they were huddled over the map of the prison. They heard my feet clatter on the metal stairs and looked over to me.

"You're up early" Greeted Daryl.
I shrugged and walked over to them, then leaned against the table their map was on.
"I'm guessing you're looking for the infirmary today?"
Rick nodded then pointed to the prisoners.
"These five will help. As well as help bring food back from the cafeteria." He informed.
I pulled a face.
"You sure you can trust them?" I asked.

A prisoner with medium blonde hair smiled at me and held out a hand.
"You sure can miss. I'm Axel, don't mean no harm." He introduced.
I looked at his hand then his face.
"Y/n. Pleasure." I said.
He took his hand back awkwardly.
"Not a shaker, okay, I get that."

A young hispanic man with long dark hair and his prison overalls wrapped around his waste slapped Axel's hand down.
"We're not here to make friends. They took our shit remember?" He spat.
Axel looked down, like he was afraid.
"Hey now, man. Calm down. They saved our asses." A tubby black guy said.

The five of them began to argue between themselves and Daryl began yelling at them to shut up, I looked to Rick who looked annoyed. I let out a sigh and stabbed my knife into the table. I heard a few cell doors creek open. Oops, bit too loud.

"Shut the fuck up!" I yelled.
They all quietened down and looked to me. The hispanic man looked pissed.
"Don't fucking take that tone with me!"
The tubby black man held his shoulders.
"Calm down. We need to get along." He said.
The hispanic man just spat on the floor in response. How charming.