Chapter 13: Glenn Rhee

I built a makeshift grill with a few pieces of scrap lying around and put it over a campfire. It was pretty crude looking, but hey, I'd do anything to eat something other than sandwiches.

I bent down to the grill, toasting the bread and cooking the eggs and beans. Maggie leaned on the side of the porch watching me.

"Not bad, for a city girl. Looks ugly though" she joked.
I stirred the beans and hummed.
"It'll taste good though. Not the grill. The food." I clarified awkwardly.
Maggie chuckled.
"I knew what you meant"

She came over to help me cook, scrambling the eggs, as I toasted the bread. I slapped her hand gently.

"Hey, hey! Don't scramble them all! I like mine sunny side up"
She rolled her eyes and put one egg to the side to fry.
"Happy?"
I looked to her nodding my head.
"Very"
She just smiled and continued to cook.

Once we were done cooking, we served lunch on the dining table and called everyone inside. The smell of eggs wafting in the air made my stomach rumble.

Everyone sat down to eat, even Beth and Hershel had come down, which I was glad about, she had been eating alone for a few days. Maggie had said she'd been in shock. A while ago after her mother had died...for the second time.

After lunch Glenn had asked me if I wanted to help reinforce the fence with him. I agreed since I had nothing better to do, and he seemed like a cool guy to get to know.

We stood by the fence with a toolbox, a saw, some nails and a few planks of wood. Glenn was cutting the planks and I was adding them to the fence to strengthen it.

"Hey, uh. So I'm Glenn. Glenn Rhee." He said while sawing.
I chuckled.
"I know, you introduced yourself when I first came here."
"Oh, uh, right" He said awkwardly.

It went silent for a few seconds. I could tell he wanted to start up a conversation but just didn't know how. I wasn't exactly good with people myself. I bit my lip and paused my hammering, turning to look at Glenn.

"We're uh, similar in age right?" I asked, he looked up from sawing and nodded.
"Yeah, yeah. Uh, I think so. I'm twenty."
I nodded.
"Twenty-one."
Glenn nodded and it went silent again.
"What did you do? Before all this?" I asked, turning around and continuing my job. I heard Glenn's sawing pause.
"I was a pizza delivery guy. In Atlanta."
"Part time?"
"Yeah."
"Did you go to college?"
"Yeah. Tech student."
I chuckled, turning back to him.
"Now that explains it."
He looked up to me confused.
"Explains what?"
"The geeky look. The awkward social skills." I joked.

He let out a small laugh and threw me some more planks and nails. Then he went back to sawing, but still kept up the conversation.

"What about you? What'd you do? You don't exactly have good social skills either" He joked.
I laughed and nodded my head.
"You're not wrong. Suppose we're similar."
I paused a moment, hammering a nail into place.
"Mechanics. I studied Mechanics. Cars."
"Woah"
"What?"
"Cars? I just...I don't know. You looked like an art major or something."
I chuckled, though it was more sad than happy.
"I get that a lot...I used to anyway."

It went silent again. The atmosphere a bit more sombre. It wasn't awkward silence, but understanding silence.

"I uh, got to steal a cool car a while ago"
I quickly turned my head to face him.
"Oh? What car?"
"Red ferrari. It was so cool. Like...fast and furious cool." He smiled like an idiot.
"What'd you steal it for?"
He stopped sawing and came over to me, sitting besides me on the ground.
"So, we were surrounded by walkers-"

He told me all about his run in Atlanta, when he first met Rick, how they were trapped by walkers and they had to dress themselves up in walker guts to escape. Though the situation he went through was clearly terrifying, he told the story with a smile. He never once stopped smiling the whole time.

Glenn and I had ended up talking for a long time, getting distracted by each others stories and totally forgetting about our job to reinforce the fence. Though he was awkward at first, he quickly became comfortable and honestly, I enjoyed his company.

We were mid conversation about a breaking bad episode, when we heard car doors slam. We both looked up seeing a very mad Shane and an annoyed Rick, dragging Randall along the yard. All three of them looked beat up. Shane and Rick were noticeably more beat up than Randall.

Glenn and I rushed over to them, along with the rest of the group.
"What the hell happened? Why is he back?" Asked Andrea.
"Are you alright?" Asked Lori.
Rick looked to Shane, who in turn, just stormed off, taking Randall back to the barn.
"Got ambushed by walkers. Couldn't leave him there" Rick sighed.
"Seriously? Walkers? You should've let them eat him!"
"Andrea!" Scolded Dale.
"He said he knew, Maggie..." Rick sighed.
"What do we do now?" Asked Glenn from besides me.

Rick looked off to the barn, seeing Shane shoving Randall inside harshly. He looked conflicted. It wasn't just walkers that happened to them, I could see it in his eyes. The way he looked at Shane....had they fought?

"I'm not sure" Rick replied, head hanging low.
"Well, if he knows Maggie, he knows the farm!" Andrea argued.
"We're not safe" Voiced T-Dog.
"I know. I know. I'll sort it." Rick nodded.
"How?" Glenn asked.
Rick looked down and Dale's mouth opened and closed like a fish.
"You'll kill him!?" He didn't shout, but said in a loud, stern tone.
"You were going to let him go!"
"It's different now" Rick argued.
"How? How is it different?" Dale asked.
Rick just shook his head and walked off. The group dispersed soon after.

I thought the matter of Randall had been settled. Clearly, I was wrong. As for the group, it was clear this whole matter was breaking them apart, though something told me they were beginning to break even before.

People were trouble. I knew that. I knew that before the end of the world and I knew it now. My opinion hadn't changed. I didn't want to get involved. I didn't want to stay. But I couldn't bring myself to leave them. Not the group. Not Sofia. Not Carol. Not Glenn. And not Maggie...