Chapter 23: Stumped

Most of the group left to find the cafeteria and infirmary early in the morning, since we needed to feed ourselves somehow. Only Lori, Beth, Carl, Carol and myself stayed behind. Since I was the most experienced fighter of our little group, Rick left me in charge.

Lori was resting in a cell, since she was heavily pregnant, Beth stayed by her side and looked after her. Carol was counting how many bullets we hand. Carl wanted to do something, so I said he could keep watch of the hallway and he happily took the job.

I grabbed my lighter and some fuel, going outside to burn the pile of bodies. I left Carl in charge for the time being, which he was thrilled about. I didn't want the bodies outside any longer, they smelt horrid and, well, it just wasn't a pleasant sight. Before I burnt them, I searched a few of them for anything useful, but of course, since they used to be prisoners, they didn't really have anything.

Though, one walker did have one useful item. It was a small needle. I assume he was going to use it as a lockpick to escape, or perhaps he even did, but obviously he didn't live long enough to taste that freedom. However, the needle would still be useful to me. If I just disinfected it and used some thread from my clothes, I could stitch myself back up, then I could leave even sooner.

I poured the fuel onto the corpses and lit it on fire. Both the sight and smell was gruesome, I think the only thing that smelt worse than burning flesh, was rotting flesh. I stayed and watched the flames until only ashes remained, it took a few hours, but I'd rather make sure the fire was controlled than leave it be.

When I got back inside it was around midday, by the look of the sun through the windows, and Carol had finished keeping stock of everything.

I grabbed an old shirt of mine, that was too ripped to wear anymore, and walked over to the bloodstained walls. I was reluctant to use the last of our water to clean the walls, so I opted to spit on the cloth, and clean it that way. Thankfully, with some elbow grease, it did work. Slowly, I cleaned the blood from the walls and floors of the cell block.

By the time I had finished my cleaning, it was around late evening, and the blocks door swung open. Everyone who had gone to clear the prison came rushing in. Rick held a very bloody, limp looking Hershel in his arms.

I threw the cloth to the floor and ran over to them as Rick threw everything off a nearby table and placed Hershel on it.

"What happened-"
I stopped myself mid sentence and look at Hershel's leg, which was now missing.
"What happened to Hershel!?"
"Got bit, Rick chopped his leg off." Glenn said as he ran into his cell and took a bag.

Lori woke up and came walking over to the commotion, Beth helping her, but she immediately left Lori's side when she saw her father.
"Who are they?" She asked.
I followed her gaze, with everything going on, I hadn't even realised the four inmates that Daryl stood behind.
"Found em' in the cafeteria. Made a deal" He explained.
"Where is Glenn going?" She asked as he was about to leave the cell block.
"Infirmary, Hershel needs meds." Rick explained.

Maggie and Beth were holding cloth over Hershel's bloody stump. I ran over to Glenn and took the bag from him, ushering him away from the door. He looked at me confused, as did Rick.

"Stay here. Meds won't help right now." I said.
"But bandages will!" Rick argued.
I shook my head.
"I'm no med student, but I've had my fair share of injuries. Bandages will do nothing for him, won't stop the bleeding." I explained.
"Then what to we do!?" Beth cried.

I sighed. This put a wrench in everything. The moment I stitched myself up, I was going to leave, but...
I couldn't leave Hershel like this. I didn't want to care for them, but, that didn't mean I was heartless. I couldn't leave, not anytime soon...not whilst they're like this.

I took a breath, tied my hair up, out of my face, rolled up my sleeves and began to give orders.
"Daryl, keep an eye on those three." I pointed at the prisoners.
He nodded and pushed them away from everyone.
"Glenn, go get some firewood and fuel, anything to start a fire."
He nodded and ran out the door.
"T, go find a belt and get the antibiotics from my cell, they're on my drawer."
He nodded and ran upstairs, quickly retrieving the items.
"Rick, there a clean knife or blade anywhere?"
He blinked and tried to think, he was about to answer but I interrupted him.
"Go get it, as well as some alcohol, then come back, I'll need you."

I walked over to Hershel and took over from Beth.
"Beth go with Lori." I nodded to Lori and she nodded back, taking Beth's hand and leading her away.
"Maggie-"
"I'm not leaving him." He said angrily.
I shook my head.
"I wasn't going to make you. I just wanted to ask, if you're sure you want to stay? This will hurt him, a lot. Can you handle it? Because if you stay, you need to be focused."
She nodded her head, tears streaming down her face.
"As long as he lives." She cried.
The look on her face broke my heart. I shook it off and focused.

Glenn got back, as well as T-Dog and Rick, with all the items I had asked. I told them to make a fire and keep it lit, the flames needed to be hot. T-Dog handed the pills to Maggie, who fed them to Hershel.

"Why'd you want a belt?" T-Dog asked, handing it to me.
I removed Maggie's hand from Hershel's stump, as well as the cloth covering it, and tightened the belt around the stump.
"Stop the bleeding. Rick, hold the blade over the flames till it goes red, then pass it over. Maggie, stay back."

Whilst Rick was heating up the blade I poured alcohol over the stump. It wasn't the best sterilisation I could ask for, but it was better than nothing. I grabbed a clean rag and cleaned the stump as best I could.

Everyone did as they were told and Rick handed me the sizzling blade.
"Rick, T, hold him down. Maggie...stay calm."
Rick and T-Dog held Hershel down and Carol held Maggie in her arms. I felt everyone's eyes on me.

Quickly, before the blade cooled, I placed it onto Hershel's stump. His flesh sizzled and burned, and his body jolted and squirmed. Although he was unconscious from blood loss, his body still felt the pain.

"Hold him tighter! He can't squirm so much!" I ordered.
The men strengthened their hold on him and I heard Maggie cry.

I continued to cauterize his wound. I zoned out everyone around me, focusing on Hershel's stump. I was careful to avoid any nerves and arteries I shouldn't touch. I sealed his skin as quick as I could, so he'd lose no more blood than he already had, and so he wouldn't get an infection, burning myself a few times in the process.

I wasn't a med student. I didn't know how to patch people up, for God's sake I fixed cars, not people! But right now, I was the only one who was capable of saving this man's life, so I tried my best and put all other thoughts aside.

When I had finished, I poured a little more alcohol onto the stump, making sure Hershel wouldn't get an infection. I then asked Carol to get a pillow case from one of the cells and rip up it's linen, it would do as bandages for now, till we got to the infirmary tomorrow. I wrapped the makeshift bandage around Hershel's stump, then checked his breathing.

"Is he alright?" Asked Maggie.
I nodded my head and placed my palm on his forehead.
"No fever. No signs of any infections. He just needs rest."
She nodded and returned to his side.
Everyone seemed to let out a breath.

Hershel's breathing was shallow and his heart was still beating. He was alive for now and showed no signs of infection. But the question was, had he lost too much blood?