Chapter 5: Maggie Greene

By the time I had finished talking to everyone, they had told me it's about an hour till lunch, so I should just relax and rest for a while, considering I had been alone so long. I didn't like the idea of staying, but there was no chance of them letting me leave. And not to mention, I didn't really want to upset Sophia.

Rick had informed me of a few things. That this farm was Hershel's, the old man with the long hairs, farm. Rick's group and Hershel's family were currently staying there, along with a boy they were holding captive. He didn't go into detail on that part, and I wasn't about to pry.

Sitting idly and resting didn't sit right with me, but I didn't have much else to do. Sophia was playing with Rick's son, Carl. And as for everyone else, I didn't know them, wasn't too keen on getting to know them either. Lori, Rick's wife, who I learned was the long brunette who said I should stay, invited me to do laundry with her but I declined.

Then I remembered the car. It was hidden behind the stables, none of the group knew about it. If I could get to it I could leave easy. At the moment no eyes were on me, and I was free to wander.

I slowly made my way to the stables, careful not to look too suspicious. I mean, I wasn't doing anything wrong, I just didn't wanna stay. I peacefully scanned the farms fields as I did so. It was quiet here, safe too. But that didn't change my mind on leaving.

Just as I got to the stables I heard footsteps behind me.
"Shit" I mumbled, then pretended to admire the horses.
"Hope you're not thinking of stealing." A feminine southern accent drawled. I hadn't heard a voice like this yet.

I turned to the voice, seeing a young woman behind me. She appeared to be around the same age as me. She was very pretty, had short brown hair and was slightly taller than me. She wore a tank top, jeans and some country boots.

"A cowgirl?" I muttered, though she seemed to have heard me, considering her scoff.
"Maggie Greene. Hershel's daughter." She introduced.
A small "ah" escaped my lips as I nodded.

I stared at her for a while unsure of what to do or say. She wasn't part of Rick's group, so perhaps she'd let me leave? Or perhaps she wouldn't, I'm not sure.

"I was just-" I began, but she cut me off.
"Trying to steal?" She raised a brow, walking closer. I shook my head.
"No, no. I was going to leave..?" I questioned. Maggie gave me an unimpressed look.
"With one of our horses, it seems. Thought Rick already told you to stay?" She questioned, inching even closer.
"No, yes, I mean..No I'm not stealing a horse but he did tell me to stay." I stumbled on my words.
"I mean, you seem like a lovely bunch. But, I'm not interested in staying " I said sarcastically, turning to leave.

There was silence for a few seconds and I thought she had left, until a nervous horse had neighed, making me jump. I heard her laugh from behind me. I turned to her and scowled.

"Wouldn't steal that one. Called nervous Nelly for a reason." She joked, walking over to the horse and stroking it's head.
"I wasn't trying to steal a damn horse." I huffed, leaning against the stable, careful to stay clear of Nelly.
"Sure" She rolled her eyes.
"Okay for one, I can't ride a horse, never have, never will. Second, my car is behind the stables. Well, it's not mine but, ya' know.." I stated as I pointed behind me.

Maggie turned from the horse, passing me and peered round the stables. She hummed and turned back to me.
"Cars wrecked. Won't get you far." She shrugged.
"I know that." I groaned. But leaving in a wrecked car was better than nothing.
"Just stay, it won't hurt you. Besides, considering a horse scared you, I doubt you'd last the night." She joked, walking back over to me.

She stopped in front of me and gave me a smirk.
"City girl?"
I blinked and raised a brow.
"What?" I asked confused.
"You. You're a city girl aren't you?" She smiled.
"That's got nothing to do with-"
"Only a city girl would pick a sports car to drive on country roads" She rolled her eyes. I scoffed.

I dragged her to the car and pointed at it dramatically. She gave me a confused expression.
"First off, I didn't pick the car, okay? It was the one that worked. Could I have found a better one? Maybe. But I'm not looking around on a highway, in summer heat, for a different car when this one works." I ranted, banging the cars hood. Maggie seemed amused, and sat on the hood looking up at me.
"And I wasn't planning on driving on country roads. It just happened." I shrugged.
"A lot of stuff, just happens." She replied. She crossed her arms and tilted her head.
"You're definitely a city girl though." She chuckled. I rolled my eyes at her antics.
"Yeah sure, whatever, cowgirl." I replied as I stood from the car hood and went to the drivers side.

As I started to open the door Maggie slammed it shut. I tried again but she did the same. I stared at her and she stared back an amused smile on her face. I swear I had a 'what the fuck are you doing' look on my face that made her snigger.

"Can I leave?" I questioned, waving my hands around. She shook her head.
"Dad's making you lunch. Shouldn't waste food. Besides, you might know something about our current...problem" She chose her latter words carefully. I leaned against the car, giving her a go on look.

After a few moments of silence she spoke.
"I'm sure you remember earlier, when everyone-"
"Tried to kill me, yeah. Hard to forget" I joked. She rolled her eyes but nodded anyway.
"The boy and group they were questioning you about, they're a threat to us. Attacked my dad, Rick and Glenn at a bar down the road." She explained.
"The boy, Randall, his group left him for dead during the fight, he got impaled on a fence. The men couldn't leave him, so they decided to save him, so now, we're here"

I let her words process in my head. I closed my eyes trying to remember anything. I've been with Sophia the past few days. We haven't ran into anyone else the whole time. As for an attack, I never even heard shots. I don't know why they decided to save a boy who attacked them, but, I guess it explained their aggression when I arrived.

I hummed, tapping my chin in thought, then opening my eyes.
"Lately, no. I've seen no one except Sophia. I wasn't even aware there was a town nearby." I started. Maggie nodded along and listened intently.
"However, a while back I did see a camp. Not too sure how long ago it was. Was somewhere in the woods, near the creek i think?" I questioned myself as I tried to remember.
"How big was it?"
I scrunched my brows, trying to think back.
"I'm not sure, but a fair few people stayed there by the looks of it. I think they had weapons too" I answered, crossing my arms. Maggie nodded and stood up, motioning for me to follow.
"You'll need to show us where it was. But we should probably patch you up first." She offered, pointing to my head. I had completely forgotten about it.

I sighed. I lost my chance to leave. But considering how serious their situation was, I didn't mind staying a little longer to help. If not to help them, to make sure Sophia was safe at least.