Chapter 15: Execution

Daryl, Rick and Shane walked towards the barn with serious faces. Rick waved and Daryl nodded to me as a greeting.

I turned to the barn and unlocked the chains and opened the doors, allowing the three men inside. Shane walked past me and went to drag Randall outside.

I was about to leave when I heard some shuffling behind the barn. I knew it wasn't Randall as Rick and Shane had him on his knees in front of the barn, and it wasn't Daryl as he was keeping his eyes on Randall.

I heard some more rustling and some footsteps. I turned back to the barn and scanned around it, seeing nothing. I unsheeved my knife.

"You can leave now, y/n. You don't need to watch this." Rick said, getting out his revolver and checking it's bullets. Randall began to cry.
I shook my head and pointed my knife to the barn.
"I'll do one last perimeter check then leave."
"What for? Randall's here." Shane argued.
Rick shook his head at Shane, then gave me a nod.
"Go ahead, if you feel like you need to."

I walked round to the back of the barn, walking slowly, careful not to make too much sound. I heard Rick talking to Randall from the front of the barn and his gun cocking.
"Any last words?" Rick asked.
I heard Randall begging and crying.

I got to the back of the barn and saw no-one, till I heard some creeking and looked up, I raised my knife, seeing a small figure on the barns ladder.

"CARL!?" I shrieked, quickly putting my knife away.
He looked down at me, a sheepish look on his face. Rick and Randall had gone silent and the next thing I knew, Rick was round the back of the barn, Shane and Daryl watching over Randall.

"Carl? What are you doing here?" Rick asked sternly. He looked to me and I shook my head.
"I didn't know he was here. I only came to check because I heard something."
He got a look of realisation on his face and nodded, turning to look back at Carl.

Carl began to climb down the ladder after he was caught. He walked over to his dad and peeked round the side of the barn.

"I wanted to watch. Did you kill him? Is he dead?" Carl answered. He looked Rick straight in the eyes. He was a brave kid that's for sure..
Rick had a look of pure shock on his face.
"What..?" Rick seemed to be in disbelief as to what his son had said to him.

I walked over to Carl and placed my hands on his shoulders.
"Carl, you shouldn't be here. This is... adult stuff." I said gently.
His shoulders slumped slightly and he looked to his dad.
"This isn't for kids." Rick repeated.
"I'm not a kid!" Carl yelled. He nudged me off of his shoulders.
"I can watch too!"
"Go back inside, NOW!" Rick yelled.

After Rick had raised his voice, Carl didn't utter another word and ran back to the farmhouse. He looked to me with an exhausted look.

"Make sure he gets back to the farm safe?"
I nodded and began to walk off, giving Rick a comforting shoulder pat before I left.

After I took Carl back to Lori, who wasn't impressed that he had snuck off, I went to Maggie's room to get some sleep, as it was late.

I knocked on the bedroom door and entered, peeking my head inside. Maggie was sitting on the bed in a nightshirt, reading a book. She looked really attractive in it...
I shook my head and entered the room.

"You're back late" She scolded, closing her book and putting it on the bedside. She shuffled on the bed, making space for me.
"Sorry, mom" I sassed back.
She rolled her eyes.

I threw my boots to the floor and took off my jeans, deciding I'd just sleep in my shirt and underwear. When I turned back to face Maggie, I realised her gaze had never left me. I gave her a mischievous grin and jumped onto the bed, sitting in front of her, leaning close to her face.

"Like what you see?" I joked.
She pushed my chest, looking away.
"You wish. I don't like city girls."
I rolled my eyes and rolled over to my side of the bed.
"Good, cause I don't like cowgirls. They're way too, bossy, and naggy, and sassy and-"
Maggie hit me with a pillow.
"Well city girls complain too much."
We both chuckled and fell into a comfortable silence.

I laid on my back, staring at the ceiling, out the corner of my eye I could tell Maggie was doing the same.

"Do you miss it? The city?" She spoke up.
I put my arms under my head and sighed.
"I've never known a different life. I was born and raised in Atlanta. Never left, not till...So yeah, I guess you could say I miss it."
Maggie seemed to nod her head.
"What about you? Ever been to a city? Or are you just a country bumpkin?" I joked, nudging her.
She gave a small chuckle.
"I've only ever been to towns. Never a big city. Dad wouldn't let us. Said the city was dangerous. Not for little girls."
She let out a dry chuckle, placing her arm over her eyes.
I hummed, turning my head to face her.
"Maybe I can take you sometime. When all this is over. We can go spend a day in a mall. Do some shopping, play bowling, watch a movie, then after we could go to the best diner I know of..."

She chuckled and rolled over to her side, so she faced me. She stroked a stray hair behind my ear. I felt my ears grow slightly hot.
"I'd like that." She smiled.
"Me too"

She leaned her head on her arm, looking at me, I turned on my side so I faced her fully.

"You'll stay, won't you?" She asked.
"Stay?"
"Here. On the farm. With the group. With us."
I closed my eyes and thought for a moment. Thinking about leaving hurt, especially when I thought about leaving Maggie behind.
"Yeah. I don't think I could leave. Not now. I care about you too much.
She smiled softly.

It went silent for a few seconds, then what I had said registered in my head. I felt my cheeks grow slightly hot and my eyes go wide.

"The GROUP, I mean. I care about you and the group"
She chuckled sweetly and grabbed my hand, holding it.
"I'm, glad. We care about you too, city girl."
I started at her, not sure what else to say and unconsciously, interlocked our fingers.

"Come here, it's cold. A shirt won't keep you warm." She said as she pulled me towards her by our interlocked hands. She then let go, wrapping her arms around me in a warm embrace. It took me a few seconds to reciprocate, and wrap my arms around her.

"Whatever you say, cowgirl"
She let out a light chuckle, her breath on my neck.
"Good night, y/n"
"Night, Maggie"
And soon after my eyes began to close.