Chapter 47: Preparations

When I finally got to the cafeteria, Maggie waved me over, patting the seat beside her. Daryl chuckled from behind me and nudged me forward, nodding towards Maggie.

"Yer girlfriends calling."
I spun around and shushed him.
"Shhh! No one knows!"
"I know." He said smugly.
"Yeah...because you're an annoying ass" I sassed, poking him.
He chuckled.
"Because you had huge hickeys."
I clung to his arm and swung on it like a child.
"Daryl..."
He laughed and ruffled my hair.
"Fine, fine. I won't say anything."
I grinned at him, then walked over to the others, not hearing what he said behind my back.
"Except maybe to Rick..."

Daryl and I joined the table. Daryl took a seat next to Rick and I took a seat next to Maggie. Everyone was pretty much done eating, but was still seated, chatting to each other.

"What took so long?" Maggie asked as I sat down.
I looked over to Daryl and he winked at me.
"A wild bear attack." I answered, rolling my eyes at him.
Rick and the others chuckled as Daryl flipped me off from the other end of the table.
"A bear?" Glenn questioned, confused.
Maggie snorted and I nodded at him.
"Yeah, a really big, grizzly one. You should be careful, Glenn. It has a real bad temper."
The others laughed and Daryl rolled his eyes, then smirked.
"Yea? I 'ear there's a bunny around. Bastard t' catch. Really energetic."
I felt my face heat up and I flipped him off, making him and the others chuckle.

Maggie slid my food in front of me and I happily took it, deciding to eat to avoid Daryl's teasing. The food wasn't much, just a sandwich, but it was the best thing I'd had in a while.

"So many animals about. It's almost like we're back at the farm." Hershel joked.
Everyone chuckled, minus Glenn, he was still confused.
"I don't get it?" He questioned.
Rick shook his head, a smile on his face and Daryl pat his shoulder.
"One day ye will chinaman."
"I'm Korean!"
"Whatever." Daryl answered, turning back to his sandwich.

Those of us with food continued to eat, while those who didn't stayed and chatted. Despite my reluctance to stay with this group at first, they really had turned into a small family. I smiled down at my food, grateful to have found such great people. But I was even more grateful for the woman beside me.

I glanced at Maggie and realised she was staring back at me. As soon as our eyes met she turned away, a slight pink tint on her cheeks. A small smile crept onto my face. Despite everything, despite last night, she was still a little shy. I felt my heart beat to a warm soft rhythm as I looked at her.

I felt something slither onto my lap, looking down, I realised it was Maggie's hand. She placed her hand on my thigh, palm up, wiggling her fingers slightly. I let out a small laugh and sneakily placed my hand in hers, intertwining our fingers. As soon as I did so, she let out a satisfied hum and gave me a small smile, squeezing my hand gently.

"Y/n, how was the run?"
I was snapped out of my thoughts by Rick calling me.
Daryl snorted at me as he took a bite of his sandwich.
"The run?"
"The one you went on yesterday, dumbass. Or did you forget because-"
"OH, THAT RUN!"
Daryl chuckled and I sent him a glare, whilst everyone just looked a bit confused.
"Are you alright, dear?" Carol asked.
"Yes, I'm just tired is all."
Daryl snorted.
"Oh, she's tired alrigh'."
"Oh?" Carol asked.

I snapped my head to Daryl and stared him down. His eyes were twinkling with amusement and he had a huge smirk on his face. He chuckled and shook his head in surrender.

"Went t' see her last nigh'. Was snorin' like a pig. Couldn' wake her fer nothin'." Daryl corrected.
I wasn't too happy about his save, but was thankful nonetheless.
Maggie raised a brow at me and I shook my head, leaning in to whisper.
"I'll explain later."
"You were that tired?" Glenn questioned.
"Well, the tools were heavy." I shrugged.
Michonne raised a brow, then a look of realisation hit her and she smirked.
"Mm. We were very busy yesterday." She added.
Rick nodded in understanding, luckily, Michonne and Daryl's implications flying over his head.
"Get everything you need?"
I nodded and finished up my food.
"Yeah, luckily the place was untouched. I can sabotage that tank no problem.
Rick nodded in approval and everyone else looked relived.