Chapter 66: Don't Die

It's been a few days since our little council meeting and Daryl has already bought Merle into the prison. He wasn't too pleased when he first saw me, in fact, he tried to fight me, but Daryl and Rick stopped him. Ever since then, he's left me alone and he's been under constant supervision by Daryl himself.

I haven't spoken to Maggie since the meeting, at least, not unless I needed to. I guess I was just being stupid but, I couldn't help but feel disappointed in her. So, lately, I spent most of my time on watch or training the kids.

I used my free time to give Beth her own personal lessons, as she was old enough and, well, she could learn and do a lot more than the kids could. In the end, I ended up replacing my time that I usually spent with Maggie, with Beth.

It was early into the night and everyone had finally gone to sleep, but I found myself wide awake. I've been restless lately and tonight was no different. Perhaps it was because Maggie and Winter weren't by my side..or perhaps I was just too worried about the groups plans..either way, I couldn't sleep.

I stood from the bed and threw on my jacket, deciding some fresh air and a midnight stroll might do me some good, maybe it'll even help me clear my head a little..

As I roamed the halls, it was eerily silent. It was so quiet, that I was afraid to make even a single sound. So, I trod carefully.

Just as I reached the block's exit, I heard soft mutters from nearby. It was hushed and it was small, but it was there.

Usually, I'd leave others be, their conversations, their business..it wasn't mine to know. But, considering Merle joined us lately, I decided I'd rather check and make sure it's not him planning some riot or something.

Once I rounded the corner that the mutters were coming from, they became louder and turned from mutters to whispers. And once I was sure I was in the right place, I carefully and quietly peeked round the wall.

To my suprise, it wasn't Merle. It was the council. They were having a meeting without me..
Rick, Daryl, Michonne, Glenn and even Maggie..

I decided to stay hidden and listen in on their conversation. Rick had kept me in the dark on the groups plans lately and I wasn't about to pass up this opportunity..

They were huddled around a table, with a map placed out in front of them.
"So Merle said the tanks around here?" Rick asked, circling a part of a highway. At least, that's what it looked like.
Daryl nodded, but pointed further up the map.
"Yeah, but closer te the woods near this junctions exit. He said it's right near the huge billboard, tha' shitty political one."
Glenn made an 'ah' sound.
"On the highway to Atlanta? I think I've passed there a few times on some runs."
Daryl nodded.
"Yea', tha's the one."
Rick nodded, deep in thought.
"Good, so we know the location of it. Glenn, you can lead the way."
He nodded and made an okay sign.
"Now..the problem of fixing it.."
Maggie crossed her arms.
"Y/n's..the only one who can do that.."
They all went silent for a moment.
"Have you tried convincing her?"
Maggie shook her head.
"She's been..avoiding me lately."
Rick looked to the others and they shook their heads.
"Same thing. She's mad at us. She won't help no matter how many times we ask." Michonne said.
Maggie chuckled bitterly.
"So stubborn.."
"Is the tank really necessary?" Glenn asked.
"We're going against a community,  outnumbered and outarmed. Attacking them without the tank is suicide." Michonne said sternly.
Daryl nodded in agreement.
"Plus, even if we don' use it, we can't let them have it."
Glenn sighed and nodded.
"You've got a point.."

The group went silent and seemed to go deep into thought.

"So..what do we do?" Glenn asked.
Rick looked to Daryl.
"Merle was close to the Governor, wasn't  he? He must know how to fix the tank, or at least something about it."
Daryl thought for a moment.
"Yea'...yea'. Merle said he was second in command so..he must know somethin'."
Rick nodded.
"Then Merle will fix it."
"Merle? You can't be serious." Maggie said.
"He's untrustworthy." Michonne warned.
Daryl gave both of them a harsh scowl.
"I already told ya', he ain't no threat to us."
"That doesn't mean he's trustworthy." Michonne fired back.
"He's my damn brother!"
Before the two could argue, Rick interrupted.
"Merle will do it, end of discussion. We can go with him ourselves to make sure the jobs done."
He looked to Michonne.
"Happy?"
She crossed her arms.
"Fine. But if he puts even one foot out of line out there, I'm stabbing him in the back."
"Hell you will!"
"Stop it you two!" Glenn pleaded.
Rick sighed and looked around at everyone.
"Daryl, ask Merle if he knows what's up with the tank. We'll decide what to do after his answer."
"So we meet again tomorrow?" Maggie asked.
Rick nodded.
"Same procedure as usual."
Everyone nodded and they began to scatter.