Chapter 55: Bloodshed

John didn't stop mutilating my eye until the entire left side of my face was covered in blood, then, and only then, did he stop to admire his work and taunt me.

He squeezed my cheeks harshly and made me look up at him.
"I'm sorry...does it hurt?" He mocked sweetly.
I didn't answer and instead just spat in his face.
He threw me to the floor and laughed.
"Clearly, I have been too merciful."
He grabbed the collar of my shirt, roughly pulling me to my knees.
"Yes...yes. I've been too merciful to a disgusting heretic like you."

He pointed the knife to my injured eye again, then very slowly dug it into the skin underneath.

The pain was terrible. I had to bite down on both my cheeks just to not make a sound. I had to clench my fists so tight, that my own nails dug into my palms, making them bleed. It was excruciating. But I had to bare it. Just a little longer...

I wasn't an idiot. I had a plan to escape. From the very moment I handed myself in, I knew what I was doing. What I'd be in for. I couldn't attack him when the others were here, I couldn't risk my actions killing them, but now?

Now, John made the biggest mistake when he let them go. I knew he would. He was too obsessed with making me suffer not to. But they were the only thing holding me back. Now they were gone? He had dug his own grave.

Perhaps I couldn't take down all of them, but I was certainly going to try. At the very least, I was taking John down with me for daring to hurt my family.

I just had to wait for the right moment.

He stuck the knife deeper into my skin, so deep it hit a nerve in my eye. The pain made me bite my cheeks so hard that blood started to dribble out my mouth.

John shook his head as he laughed madly.
"No...no. This isn't enough. Far from enough."
Instead of spitting the blood in my mouth out, I decided to keep it in.
"You have to pay. To repent for everything you've done!"
He dragged the knife under my eye, carving into it's socket.
"God demands I remove your eye..."
He leaned in closer, grinning.
"But I disagree..."
He started to poke at my nerves with the blade.
"No..no. I'll remove your eye...and feed it to you."
My mouth began to fill with blood.
He leaned in closer, mocking me.
"You should thank me. I'm feeding you after all..."
He began to laugh hysterically as he inched closer.
"To die by my hand is the biggest honour!" He chanted.

As soon as he leaned in closer to cut out my eye, I spat out the blood in my mouth into his working one, making him stumble back.

He swung at the air frantically in his blind state, but I dodged him and threw him to the floor. I'd deal with him last, but for now...his cultists were coming at me.

"Heretic! Get her! Rip her spin from her body so I may use it as a belt!" John ordered.

I stepped on his hand and took my knife back from him. As soon as I turned around, a cultist was charging at me madly, but I was faster and slit his throat just as he swung his spear. The others paused momentarily in shock. I pointed my knife to them.

"Come get me. I dare you."
They looked to each other, then they smirked and began to bang their spears on the ground, then they began to chant.
"Heretic! Heretic! Heretic! Heretic!"
I heard a shuffle behind me and I immediately knew why they had stopped their attack.

I managed to turn around and dodge just quick enough, that John only managed to stab my shoulder, rather than my neck.

I grunted, kicking him back to the ground, making him leave the knife jammed in my shoulder. As soon as his attack failed, I heard his men let their walkers loose and begin to charge me.