Chapter 33: To The Rescue

~Maggie's P.O.V~

It all happened so fast. As soon as I opened the door, a hand reached out and knocked y/n out. I quickly raised my gun to the person and they raised a sword to me.

It was a woman who stood before me. She had dark skin and thick, black dreadlocks. However, I soon noticed two familiar figures behind her, Andrea and Sophia.

Andrea lowered the woman's arm and I lowered my gun.
"Maggie?" She asked, in shock.
Sophia quickly ran out from behind the two women, noticing y/n on the floor bleeding.
"Y/n! Is she okay!? Maggie?" Sophia cried.
Sophia was bent over y/n's body, stroking hair out of her face.

Y/n laid on the floor, covered in bruises and injuries. She now had a big gash on her forehead from the blunt of the woman's sword, as well as some blood oozing from the back of her head, from her impact with the floor.

It broke my heart seeing her like that. Seeing her injured and in pain. I always thought she was careless, that she didn't care about others, but I was wrong. She was the sweetest person I knew. She didn't hesitate to help me. She took bullets for me, hits for me. But I only ever argued with her over it, because her injuries scared me, the thought of losing her scared me.

I was wrong when I called her selfish and a coward. She was brave, so brave. When she told me why she did everything...when she apologised...It was then I  understood. She was just as scared of losing me, as I was of losing her, she was just too scared to admit it. I felt my chest grow tight.

Please be okay, y/n. I'm sorry about before...I understand now...

I put my gun away, and bent down, picking y/n up and holding her in my arms. I sent a glare to the woman with a sword. The thought of her acting so carelessly annoyed me, the fact she hurt y/n annoyed me.

"What kind of idiot swings before thinking!? Y/n was already in bad shape and you've made it worse!" I yelled.
The woman looked shocked and Andrea stepped in front of her.
"She was expecting guards to be here, definitely not you."
"Does that matter!? Who just acts first!?"
Andrea scoffed and the woman moved her out the way.
"I'm Michone. I'm sorry, I really wasn't expecting someone to be on the otherside. I just...it was reflex." She said.
I scoffed.

I held y/n closer and Sofia held her dangling hand.
"What were you doing down here?" Andrea asked.
"Well I can tell you it wasn't by choice. Bastard called the Governor kept us hostage."
Michone nodded.
"You got taken, right? Looking for baby formula." She asked.
I immediately hugged y/n closer protectivly.
"How do you-?"
"It's not what you think. I ran from the Governor. I happened to see it on the way. I picked up the formula, hearing you mention the prison. The baby's fine."
I nodded.
"Rick and the group are also here, looking for you both." She added.

She moved out of the doorway and let me walk past her, carrying y/n gently. Sofia followed me, never straying from y/n's side. That's when Andrea stopped us, sticking her arm out.

"The Governor held you here?"
I scowled at the mention of him and nodded.
Andrea shook her head.
"That can't be right, he's not like that."
I scoffed, dropping my jaw.
"He is. Andrea, he kept this little girl hostage on a chain. He kept walker heads in tanks!" Michone said, pointing to Sofia.

I looked to the young girl whilst they argued, it was then that I noticed a red mark around her neck, like she had been kept on a lead...or chain.
"Sofia, are you alright?" I asked.
She nodded.
"He didn't manage to do anything. I did what y/n taught me...it kept me safe."
I felt a pang in my chest.
Y/n...you really are sweet...

I tuned back into the women's argument.
"Andrea, I'm telling you, Sofia was here! I found her before bumping into you!Why would the group take a little girl on a rescue mission!?"
"That's ridiculous, Phillip wouldn't do that!"
Michone scoffed.
"Go look at the room in his house then! The one that's always locked!"
"I respect his privacy. And I trust him"
Michone rolled her eyes.

I heard gunfire and yelling from outside. I'm guessing it was Rick and the others shooting up this community.
"Can you move, Andrea? Y/n needs help and we need to leave." I demanded.
She scoffed.
"I heard shots down there. What happened? Where's Philip?" She asked.
I began to get annoyed with her. I didn't like her when she stayed on the farm, and I sure as hell didn't like her now.
"Probably dead. Merle too. Your precious little lover boy isn't very loyal to you. He didn't keep his hands to himself, so y/n taught him a lesson." I spat, smirking at her.

Michone seemed to give an approving nod, whereas Andrea looked horrified. She immediately shoved me out the way, pushing Sofia in the process, and ran down the stairs, calling the Governor's name.

"Is he really dead?" Sofia asked.
Michone looked at me, interested in the answer.
I shook my head.
"I'm not sure. He could be, we didn't stay long enough to check. He was in incredible pain though. Served the bastard right. If he's not dead, he definitely won't be the same."
Michone smiled and lead Sofia and I out the door.
"You can tell me all about it once we're back at the prison. I'd love to hear about that bastard getting his just desserts."
I smiled and followed her, thinking back to when y/n knocked him over.
"Oh, it was a sight to see" I laughed.

We walked out of, what seemed to be, some kind of lab, making our way over to Rick. We stayed in cover and was careful of stray bullets, killing any armed people we came across.

Memories of everything replayed in my mind. This whole situation was scary. I didn't even know if we'd make it out, but, everytime I was scared...
everytime I doubted myself...y/n was there, comforting me. When she said she didn't care for me...it hurt...I didn't believe it...the way she acted...But, when the Governor touched me...when she launched at him without hesitation, I knew she had lied, that she really did care.

The moment y/n leapt on him...I'd never seen her so mad. She didn't hesitate to hurt him, hell, I'm sure she would've beat him to death if it wasn't for Merle. Despite how angry she looked...how bloody and dishevelled she was...she seemed more beautiful than ever. It was in that moment, that one moment, when she was full of rage, she finally let me see her true feelings...and she was beautiful.

We soon managed to catch up to Rick and the others. We all gathered behind a lowered wall. As soon as Glenn saw me he went to give me a hug, but noticed y/n was in my arms. He looked a bit disappointed about it, backing off. However, when the group saw Sofia, they were ecstatic.

"Is she alright?" Rick asked, nodding to y/n and checked if the coast was clear.
"She's alive...just...she's lost a lot of blood." I answered. I felt my throat go slightly dry.
"Sofia? Are you okay?" Rick asked.
She nodded.
"I just want to leave...I want y/n to be okay." She answered.
Michone rubbed her back.
"She'll be fine, she's tough." Daryl assured.
He stood by Sofia and protected her and Michone backed Rick.

Rick signaled for us to move across the street.
"Go, go, go, quickly" He ordered.
"Got a truck past the wall, go there, I'll cover." Daryl said as we got to the other side.
Rick nodded and Glenn reached for y/n.
"I'll carry her, you're weak right now. You need a break" He offered.
I held onto her tighter and swung her away from his grasp.

I didn't like the idea of anyone else touching her, carrying her, or even looking after her. The thought of her being away from me...I didn't like it. Not one bit.

I shook my head.
"I've got her."
"Are you sure?" Glenn asked.
I clicked my tongue.
"Leave her. I've got her." I spat.
"Come on, it's go time" Rick interrupted.

We quickly followed him to the communities wall. We hid behind a guard post whilst Rick and Glenn then covered Daryl, so he could catch up to us. After he did, we left through a small hole in the fence. I barely fit through with y/n in my arms, the sharp edges of the wall cut my arms slightly, but it was nothing. I wasn't letting go of her. I'd never let go of her again...

We jumped into the truck, Daryl going on his bike. Rick and Michone sat in the front. Me, y/n and Sofia were in the back, with Glenn in the pickup part. Rick quickly sped off without looking back and neither did I.

I laid y/n across the seats, resting her head on my lap. I couldn't take my eyes off of her, in fear she'd dissappear. I stroked her hair gently. Her hair was so soft...mangled and knotted, but soft, it comforted me. I could keep her on my lap forever, stroking her hair and feeling the warmth of her skin on me. My heart began to beat faster and I smiled down at her, caressing her cheek. It was nice...being together like this...

A small tear slowly slid down my cheek and fell onto hers. I gently rubbed it away.
"I...you're my world...please...be okay" I whispered softly, so no-one else heard.
"Please, be okay..."