Chapter 64: Promises

We're a couple weeks into spring now, and the kids shooting has improved a lot since their first lesson, especially Winter.

Everything was going fine, and Maggie and I were giving the kids their usual self defence lesson, this time, with knives, when I spotted something in the distance.

I looked past the fences and saw some cars approaching the front gate. There wasn't a lot, but there was a fair few.

I nudged Maggie and nodded over to the gates.
"I think we need to end early." I whispered.
She followed my gaze, her relaxed face turning serious and she nodded.
"I'll take the kids in and get Rick. You keep your eye on them."
I nodded and whistled loudly, getting the kids attention.
They all stopped practicing with their knives and turned to me.
"The lessons over for today. We'll continue tomorrow."
The kids groaned and began to complain, but Maggie gave them a stern look, shutting them up. Then she pointed to the fence.
"People are here. What's the first rule?"
Winter scribbled on her paper.
"Watch them. Dont get close till you know it's safe."
Maggie and I nodded proudly.
"So what will you all do?" I asked.
"Go inside and keep a safe distance." Sophia said.
I smiled at her.
"Good girl."
I looked to Maggie and she nodded at me.
"Follow me inside. Keep your guns close." She instructed.

They did as she said and began to follow Maggie back into the prison. Well, Sophia and Carl did, Winter stayed put. When Maggie noticed Winter wasn't following, she sent Sophia and Carl ahead and stayed behind.

Winter was tugging at my leg, trying to get me to move, when I didn't, she looked up to me and wrote me a note.

"Why aren't you coming with us?"
When Maggie got over to us and saw the note, her face softened a little. She bent down and offered Winter her hand to hold.
"Winter, mama bun will be safe. You need to come inside."
She shook her head violently and clutched onto my leg.
I crouched down to her level, making her pull away slightly, and smiled at her.
"I'm going to keep an eye on the people, to make sure you and mama are safe."
"But what about the rules?"
I smiled and tucked her hair behind her ear.
"I'll keep a safe distance, don't worry."
"But it's dangerous, mama! You said so."
I patted her head and smiled.
"Winnie, I promise you, I'll be safe."
Maggie frowned and tried to pull her away, but she didn't budge.
"Winter, I'm so proud that you care about mama so much, but you need to listen. If you know it's dangerous, come inside."
I looked over Winter's shoulder and noticed the cars getting closer and nudged Maggie, pointing them out to her.
"But what about mama bun?"
Maggie sighed and rested her hands on Winter's shoulders.
"I don't want to leave mama alone either. I'm scared she'll get hurt just as much as you are."
I rested a hand on Maggie's shoulder, comforting her.
"Then why leave mama bun alone?"
Maggie looked to me and smiled.
"I trust your mama will come back. She's strong and she's smart."
I couldn't help but smile at Maggie's words.
She turned back to Winter and caressed her cheek.
"And mama always keeps her promises, doesn't she?"

Winter was still for a moment, then nodded slowly, finally seeming to calm down. Maggie tried to take her hand again, but she wrote another note.

"Mama, promise me you'll be okay."
I noticed the cars had finally stopped at the gates, so I smiled at her and ruffled her hair.
"I promise."
"Pinky promise?"
I noticed men began to get out the cars, so I quickly linked my pinky with hers and smiled.
"Pinky promise."
I looked to Maggie and nodded at her.
She got the message and quickly picked Winter up. Before she left, she gave me a quick kiss and whispered in my ear.
"Keep your promise, Y/n Greene."
Then, she ran off to the cell block.