Chapter 6: Introductions

I followed Maggie into the farmhouse, noticing that everyone was sat around a dining table. She led me into the dining room and motioned for me to have a seat.
"Eat first, then my dad can patch you up." She said, taking a seat opposite me.

I sat next to an asian guy, who I had learned was Glenn, and the old man with the bucket hat. The old man glanced at me, then offered his hand.
"I'm Dale." He introduced. I nodded in response. I wasn't big on handshakes but shook his hand anyway to be polite.
"Y/n" I introduced. He nodded with a chuckle.
"Nice to meet you, y/n."

After our short introduction a lady served the table some sandwiches. It wasn't a big meal by far, but it was better than anything I'd had for weeks. I nodded in thanks as she placed a plate in front of me. As everyone was about to dig in, Hershel cleared his throat. Everyone stopped for a moment as he and, I'm guessing his family, said prayers.

Once he was done, he looked up and spoke.
"I believe you all owe this young girl thanks." His voice was gentle and fatherly. He looked at me as he spoke.
"They had been looking for that girl since they got here. You have no idea the relief you gave brought."
I nodded, then Sophia's mother spoke up.
"Thank you. Thank you so much for finding her. I thought I had lost her." She almost cried. I shook my head.
"It's fine..miss? I..did what anyone would have done."
It was her turn to shake her head.
"Please call me, Carol." I nodded.
"What is your name? I would like to know who to thank." Carol asked sweetly.
"Y/n." She nodded.
"Thank you, y/n." I nodded and began to eat.

Lunch was full of chatter. Everyone had introduced themselves and though I wasn't keen to stay too long, since I decided to help them, I introduced myself as well. After lunch was done, most of the group had cleared from the house, going back outside to their camp or going off to do chores. Only a few had stayed.

Rick, Daryl, Shane, Hershel, Dale and Maggie had stayed at the table. Asking me to stay behind with them as well, to discuss their current predicament. Maggie began the conversation.

"Y/n said she saw a camp a while back, could have belonged to Randall's group." She explained. The men seemed to nod.
"How long ago was this?" Asked Rick, leaning on his hands.
"If I were to guess, maybe...a week or two? It's hard to keep track" I explained.
Rick nodded then looked to Daryl.
"Seen any camps in the woods?"
Daryl shook his head, leaning back in his chair.
"If I had, I woulda' told ya'." His gruff accent drawled. Rick turned to Hershel.
"We haven't left the farm much since the beginning" He clarified.
"I've been to town a few times, but not the woods" Maggie answered, shaking her head.
"I haven't seen anyone going to and from town either."
Everyone seemed to nod, deep in thought. I tapped my fingers.
"You wouldn't have. It was quite out the way." I answered, thinking back to weeks ago.

Everyone's eyes were on me, waiting for me to explain. I stood from my chair and opened my backpack, taking out a map and a pen I had found in a cabin nearby a while ago. I scanned the map, trying to find the Greene's farm, then from there, the creek. I followed it upwards with my finger.

"It was about....here." I clarified, stopping my finger on a clearing on the map. Everyone took a closer look, leaning over the table. Daryl shook his head.
"Can't be, been there. Ain't nothin' there." Hershel seemed to nod in agreement.
"There's only thick woods there, impossible to place a camp there."
I shook my head and circled the 'woods'.
"You clearly didn't look hard enough then. There's a clearing there, leads to a little river connected to the creek. It's a bit hidden away. Now that I think about it, it's a perfect place to hide" I explained.
"Remember how to get there?" Asked Shane, as Rick leaned closer to the map. I scanned it once more, my finger tracing the creek.
"Yeah. I recon I could find it."

I pushed the map over to Rick, Shane and Daryl so they could have a closer look. Maggie came and stood besides me, giving me a pat on the shoulder and a grin.
"Not bad, city girl." She complimented. I only groaned in response, making her chuckle.

It was then, that Dale spoke up.
"Are we sure we want to find their camp? What will you do if you do find them?" He questioned. His expression seemed calm but his voice sounded worried.
"Scout em'. If they're a threat, kill em'." Daryl answered, shrugging. Dale and Hershel's eyes widened in shock.
"And what if they're not a threat?" Dale asked, moving closer to Daryl.
"They attacked Hershel and myself, Dale. The chances of them being friendly are slim" Rick explained. Dale looked a bit lost, like he couldn't believe his ears. Hershel seemed to shake his head.
"But is killing necessary? They aren't walkers." Hershel asked. Rick and Daryl looked a bit frustrated. Shane looked plain angry.
"Daddy, y/n said they had guns." Maggie explained, trying to back Rick up.
"Rick and his group had guns. We didn't kill them" He justified, Dale nodding.

I watched everyone as they seemed to disagree with each other. It was clear Dale and Hershel were against killing, regardless if this group was a threat or not. Maggie seemed unsure, and Daryl, Shane and Rick seemed set on killing them. None of them could come to an agreement. And now that I think back to earlier, when I first arrived, their group was arguing then too.

I banged the table to get their attention, which luckily did the job.
"I know my opinion doesn't really matter to you, but arguing won't help you either." I started, looking each one of them in the eyes, then turned to face Rick and Hershel.
"You want to protect your families. I get that. You both have different methods, I get that too." I pinched the bridge of my nose trying to think.
"If you can't decide, then compromise. You don't need to kill them, and you don't need to leave them be neither." I explained.
"An' what exactly do you think we should do then?" Daryl asked, a bit disgruntled.
"Simple. They're not too far, but not too close. A simple scout would help decide if they're dangerous or not. And if you're still not sure just take their weapons." I shrugged.
"They can't exactly hurt you if they have nothing to hurt you with." I explained. Everyone seemed satisfied with that answer, nodding their heads. Except Shane, who seemed to hate the idea.

After a few more moments of talking, everyone agreed that we'd do as I suggested, and since I had suggested it, and knew were the camp was, I was to stay and help them out. Since it was just past midday by the time we had finished our discussion, everyone had agreed that it would be better to scout tomorrow, that way we didn't have to worry about the sun setting before we got back.

I stood from the table and went to exit the front door, standing on the houses porche. I looked at everyone doing their own thing, unsure of what to do myself. Then I felt a tap on my shoulder.