Chapter 19: Prison Courtyard

Rick had given us all a role to fulfill in taking over the courtyard and killing the walkers. Carol was to use a rifle in the watchtower, Daryl was to use his crossbow in another, Lori was to sit back and do nothing, since she was pregnant and the rest of us were to attract the walkers attention, so Rick could run inside and close the gate.

Glenn cut through the fence and all of us quickly filed into the walkway between the outside of the prison and the courtyard. Glenn then quickly tied up the hole he had cut with a piece of wire, making sure no walkers could get us from the outside.

Carol and Daryl went to their watchtowers and got into place to shoot the walkers, Lori opened the gate to let Rick inside, then closed it once he was, and the rest of us banged along the fence to draw the walkers away from Rick.

Me, T-Dog, Glenn, Maggie, Beth and Hershel all banged on the fence, making as much sound as we could, with whatever we had. We managed to attract half the courtyards attention over to us. When the walkers began to bang and lean on the fence to get to us, I told everyone to stab their heads through the fence. Soon enough, a pile of bodies were at our feet.

Rick ran through the courtyard, dodging any walkers that didn't pay attention to us, and killing any that got too close. Rick almost got bit as two walkers approached him at once, but Daryl shot the walker dead, even Carol was doing a pretty good job with the rifle.

Rick managed to get to the other side of the courtyard and locked the gate shut with a clip. He then turned around and whistled, twirling his finger in a circle. That was our que to finish things up and kill the rest of the walkers. Despite many complaints from Maggie, I joined Rick, Daryl, Glenn and herself in the courtyard, finishing the rest of the walkers off.

After we had cleared the courtyard, we opened the main gate and got all the cars, and Daryl's bike, inside. We didn't need to block or clip the main gate shut, as the locks and chains on it still worked, which was lucky for us.

By the time we had got everything done it was dark and we decided to set up camp in the courtyard. Rick said that those of us fit enough could help out clear the first block tomorrow, to look for both food and a decent place to stay.

Everyone was sat round the campfire, minus Daryl and Carol, who went to sit on a nearby prison bus. We were eating the last of our supplies, clearing the courtyard had taken a lot out of us afterall.

I only managed a few mouthfuls of my food, but then opted to give it to Lori, as my wound was starting to ache too much for me to eat, she gladly took it. Maggie gave me a scowl for doing so, but I just ignored it.

The night was silent. All you could hear was the bugs in the grass. Daryl and Carol had come back to sit with everyone, and Beth decided to sing us all a song.

I leaned closer to Maggie and placed my head on her shoulder, she wrapped her arm around my waist. The song was beautiful and Maggie's embrace was comfortable and warm. The hug slightly eased my pain, but didn't erase it entirely.

After a few hours of sitting round the campfire, I offered to do a quick perimeter check. Of course, everyone refused, so I compromised with them.

"I'll do one quick sweep around the courtyard, then sleep. No night watch, I swear." I pleaded, hands up in surrender.
Daryl grunted.
"You're the most stubborn bitch I know" He said.
Rick sighed.
"Fine. One quick sweep. But you sleep after that. I need you tomorrow."
I nodded and stood from the campfire, Maggie stood with me, grabbing my arm.
"I'll go with you." She said.

I was going to argue, but I thought I'd better not. She had been quite frustrated with me lately. We had barely spoken, and when we did, it was more of an argument. I decided that the perimeter sweep would be a good time to ask her what was wrong. I didn't want to lose her...not after the farm...

Maggie and I were walking along the fences. Of course the inside of the courtyard was safe, as we had cleared it, it was more a check for holes in the fence and more of an excuse to get a break from everyone.

The moon was high in the sky. It illuminated Maggie's face, she looked beautiful even in the dark. I cleared my throat and stopped in front of her, looking her in her eyes.

"Can we talk?"
"About what?"
"You. You seem...frustrated lately."
She scoffed and tried to walk off but I grabbed her arm.
"Maggie-"
"What? What do you want me to tell you!? You expect me to be happy after everything!?" She yelled.
"No! That's not what I-"
"Then what is it? Don't tell me I seem frustrated when you don't even know me!"
"You know what I mean!"
"I don't. Just stay away from me! Stay out of my business!"

She tried to walk away again but I pulled her back and hugged her tightly.
"No! Tell me what's wrong! I hate us being like this, arguing all the time! I want my cowgirl back..." I pleaded.

I felt her stiffen in my embrace. We stood like that for a while, until she eventually hugged back, then pushed me away softly. The moon reflected on her eyes and I could see that tears were forming.

"God! You're such an idiot!" She cried.
She slapped my chest softly.
"You never listen! You, you, run off after Randall and get shot! You run through the woods all night and exhaust yourself! You sneak off into the woods alone and fight walkers when you're still injured!" She ranted. She began to sob.

I moved my hands down her arms and held her hands. I stroked her palm softly in a comforting motion to try and calm her down.
"I don't understand?"
She scoffed and let go of my hands.
"Of course you don't! You don't think of yourself, you only think of others!"

She began to pace in front of me, her sobs calming down, but then turning into anger.

"There's a captive on the lose? Y/n will handle it! There's a horde of walkers? Let y/n distract them. Want to scout ahead? Send y/n! Want to clear a prison of walkers? Y/n can do it! I'm so tired of them sending you to do dangerous things and you just do it! Or worse, you offer to do it in the first place!"

"Maggie, I do it to-"
"Keep everyone safe, right? But what about you? What about the people that care about you!? Don't you even care if you die?" She screamed.
I walked closer to her, placing my hands on her shoulders.
"Is this what this is about? Me dying?" I asked softly, trying to look into her eyes, but she wouldn't face me.

Maggie let out a frustrated sigh and turned to face me, locking her eyes with mine. She put her hands on either side of my face, cupping my cheeks.

"I've lost too many people, y/n. I can't lose you too." She whispered.
I moved my hands from her shoulders to her waist.
"Maggie, I do these things, not just so everyone is safe, but so you're safe. I wanted to leave this group, but I couldn't. I couldn't, because of you. I care about you."
She leaned closer, I felt her breath on my face.
"Do you really mean that?"
I nodded and leaned my forehead on hers.
"I don't think I could bare to lose you."
"Did you ever think, that I couldn't bare to lose you too?"

I was about to answer her but she placed her lips on mine. We both closed our eyes locking our lips together and embraced each other. The kiss was short but passionate. I felt all her emotions on her lips, her anger, her sadness...her frustration. When she pulled away I stood still, eyes wide.

She began to walk off back to camp, not saying another word. She left me standing there, heart racing, missing her lips and my temperature rising.

What on earth was happening to me?