return pt. 3 - j.o

return pt. 3 - j.o

-

It's been a few days since your last interaction with Jenna. The radio silence made you think that Emma witnessed everything at the flower shop - including the kiss.

You sit in your apartment alone, it's unchanged from five years ago. Your mom continued to pay your rent while you were gone, so she wouldn't lose the one thing of you she had left.

Though the familiar surroundings haven't changed, everything feels different. This was once the space you and Jenna would try cooking new meals from Pinterest, cuddle up on the couch watching a horror movie, decorate your Christmas tree together while listening to holiday music... the list goes on. Now it's gone like it never even existed.

A tear slips down your face as you reminisce the moments you shared with Jenna here, which to you felt were only a few weeks ago. You couldn't bare to continue surrounding yourself in sadness.

-

There was one box left to take out to your car. You look around your now empty apartment, taking it all in one last time.

You trace your hand down the wall where you and Jenna once measured each other's heights and marked it with a pen. You frowned seeing the faded pen line of Jenna's height on the wall with her writing next to it "Your Jenna ♡".

"My Jenna," you whispered the familiar nickname to yourself after reading the words written on the wall. You blinked away the tears that quickly made their appearance.

Your steps bounced off of the empty walls as you went to grab the last box off the counter. With a sigh, you opened it and grabbed the black smaller box that sat inside.

You closed your eyes for a few moments before opening the box, revealing a glimmering diamond ring inside; the ring you had planned to propose to Jenna once you had returned to your trip.

Sucking in a shaky breath, you took it out of the box and examined it. You haven't looked at it since buying it.

You started imagining your proposal, the way Jenna would happily say yes, all would feel right in the world.

"Fuck," you whispered as a tear trailed down your cheek, and you quickly wiped it. You shook your head from your thoughts and placed the ring back into the box, then shoved the box into your pocket.

You grabbed the larger box off the counter, ready to leave the past behind you until you opened the door and the past was standing right in front of you.

Jenna stood in the doorway, her hair pulled back into a bun, her dark brown eyes wide as she saw you. "Y/n? What are you doing?" She quickly took notice of the box in your hand, and the empty apartment behind you. "No... No!"

Your heart sank seeing her in front of you again. What were the chances of her being here right when you planned to leave?

"Jenna," you bit the inside of your cheek and gave her an empathetic look.

"No, y/n!" The girl quickly became distressed, her eyes were already turning red from the tears that stung her eyes. She pushed through you to get into the apartment.

You turned around and watched her, keeping the box in your hands.

"W-What about everything? The-The living room where you first told me you loved me. The kitchen where we baked cookies and covered each other in flour, and-and we couldn't stop laughing," she spoke frantically and stuttered almost every word as she fought back the cries, but a few escaped.

Tears silently slipped through your eyes as the girl quickly stepped over to the wall with your heights. "I-I'm supposed to be your Jenna. And-And you're supposed to be my y/n!"

"I thought you were supposed to be mine, too," you said flatly.

"You can be!" She shouted desperately. Her world was crumbling all over again - like when she lost you the first time.

You set the box down back on the counter and wiped your tears, approaching her with arms open, you pulled her into a tight hug, biting down on your lip to not break.

Jenna melted into your embrace, shoving her face into your chest, crying right into it. Her warm tears seeped through your shirt. You ran your hand up and down her back, soothing her cries within minutes.

You slowly unraveled yourself from her, both of your faces flushed and tired.

"Here," you said, reaching into your pocket and pulling out the small black box. You grabbed her hand and placed the box into her palm, closing her fingers for her to ensure she has a grasp on it. "Take care of this, okay?"

"W-What is this?" She questioned, but she knew.

"Something I should have done, a long, long time ago," you said.

She put a shaky hand over her mouth as she looked down at the now-opened ring box. You immediately noticed she wasn't wearing the ring Emma gave her.

"Jenna," you said sternly, causing her eyes to flicker back up to you. "Where's your ring?" You nodded towards her hand.

Jenna stood silently for a few seconds. "We broke up."

You blinked once, all of the words that came to your mind you couldn't speak.

"It was mutual... She knew- she knew the second you came back it wasn't going to last. Because I love you, y/n."

"Don't," you interrupted calmly. "Don't do this to me." A piece of you felt like you had to run; run far away and never look back, but the warm feeling of relief flooded over you even stronger. You felt guilty to admit that deep down you were happy they weren't together anymore.

You stood still as your mind processed the words she just spoke in front of you, your eyes were magnetized to Jenna's. Your heart was racing, veins filled with adrenaline - yet you were completely still.

"Y/n?-"

You interrupted Jenna by smashing your lips into hers without thought, one of your hands wrapping around her waist and pulling her body into yours. The other hand held the back of her head as you kissed her deeply, which she returned.

After a few moments, you pulled away from the kiss and pulled Jenna's head into your chest. A deep sigh released from your lungs as you felt like the pieces were slowly falling back into place. You felt Jenna smiling against your chest, her arms wrapped around your waist.

You weren't exactly sure what the future held for you as you adjusted back to the world after five years. But you knew Jenna would be a part of it.

-end

a/n: a little fluffy ending for y'all after all that angst