My Champion

Sunday
Race Day

Y/n stood in the paddock looking for any sign of Charles but all she could see were camera crew and fans everywhere. The rumble of engines warming up filled the air and there was an unusual tension that filled the night sky.

This was it. Tonight was the title decider and Y/n hadn't seen Charles or Max all day. Having experience with the stress, she worried less about Max and more about Charles.
A flash of red caught her eye and she made a hasty walk towards it.

Y/n: Charles!
?: Sorry, you must be mistaken.
Y/n: Oh, sorry Carlos. I just saw the red suit and thought... where's Charles?
Carlos: Y/n! He's been MIA all day. Saw him this morning at the debrief and haven't seen him since.
Y/n: Really?
Carlos: I was just about to go look for him in his room. Want to join?
Y/n: Yeah, let's go.

Reporter: Y/n Summers! Miss Summers over here!
Y/n: Sorry, no time for interviews.
Reporter: No please, one minute of your time.
Y/n: I can't-
Reporter: -What do you think will happen tonight? Is Charles capable of winning? Where is he? And do you think Pierre will finish strong? Are you sure Max won't do everything in his power to make sure Charles crosses the line behind him? What about-

Charles: -That's enough. Leave her alone.
Y/n: Charles whe-
Reporter: -Mr Leclerc! How are you feeling?
Charles: I said that it's enough. No questions will be answered. The race will show everything.
Reporter: Understood. Good luck.

The reporter walked off and Charles said nothing further. He walked in the direction of his garage and Y/n and Carlos shared an equally confused look.
Charles always loved making time for the public.

Y/n: Hey wait a minute you!

Charles stopped and turned to face in their direction. She ran up to him.

Y/n: What is going on?
Charles: What do you mean?

Y/n raised her eyebrows at him giving a knowing look.

Charles: Okay... okay... I'm just terrified for tonight. Papa and Jules wanted this and I finally have a shot. What if I screw it up?
Y/n: You won't, you're focused and are ready for this.
Charles: But I really have so much fear right now. And there's so much to lose.
Carlos: Keep it.
Charles: What?
Carlos: The fear. It will keep you focused. Plus I'll defend for you. I really believe in you. Don't think about what can be lost but rather what can be won.
Charles: Alright... Thank you.

Mechanic: Okay team! Time to get ready!

Charles gave a nervous look towards the garage where the mechanic stood calling and then back to the two people in front of him.

Y/n: Look at me Charles. Deep breaths, you've got this. I love you lots and no matter what, you'll ALWAYS be my champion.
Charles: Thank you.
Y/n: Now go. I'll be there the whole time for you.
Charles: What about-
Y/n: The whole time.

Charles and Y/n shared a hug before Charles walked off to his car.

————————
Charles' POV
————————

The walk to the car felt excruciatingly long even though it was only a few meters away. All afternoon my heart had been racing and my hands haven't stopped shaking.
I control my breathing with every move I make.
In, out. In, out.
It became my mantra.

Andrea: How we feeling?
Charles: What do I even answer?
Andrea: Nerves aren't always bad. This is it though. We've got to get you on to track.
Charles: Okay. Here we go I guess.

I took one last glance over my shoulder to confirm that Y/n was still there as promised. If there was one race I wanted her in the garage it was today. Her eyes caught mine and she gave me her classic "I believe in you" smile which I returned before placing my helmet on my head.

Now or never. Careful on the breaks. Watch the turns. Defend. Win. That's all I need to do.

Mechanic: Radio check

I snap back to reality. I didn't even realize I drove the formation lap already.

Charles: Yip
Mechanic: Okay Charles. Show them what you've got.

I look at the fans in the stands as I approach the grid. Open air in front of me. The engine runs aggressively as I hold position. I lift my eyes up to lights and try to center my attention, try clear my head.

One light.
In, out.
Two.
In, out.
Three.
In, out.
Four.
In, out...
Five...
In...

Crofty: It's lights out and away we go for the last time this season!

...Out...
Go!

The car roars as it plunged forward down to turn one. Max approaches fast but not fast enough to overtake me. I a car spin off the track.
Green. Aston Martin.

This feels surreal. I feel like I'm watching me race instead of being here in the car.

Engineer: Good pace. Keep it up. Plan A.

Plan A. One stop. Risky but I'll take it.

Charles: Copy. When?
Engineer: Soon.

Soon? How many laps has it been?

Engineer: And box now. Box now.

I slow down to a crawl. Cars like these aren't made to go this slow. I manage to see Y/n still standing where she promised to be. I smile at her nervous stature.
It's a quick stop, precise too.
The track reappears in front of me.

Charles: Good stop. Thank you. Position?
Engineer: Third. Max and Pierre in front. Pierre leads by 0.75. Catch him then you'll catch Max.
Charles: I've got this handled.

Sooner or later Pierre's Alpha Tauri is behind me and I catch the rear end of Max's car turning a corner.

Charles: Update?
Engineer: 15 Laps to go. Max is 1.3 ahead.
Charles: Can I chase? How are the tires?
Engineer: Tires are good. Chase.

That's all I needed to hear. One word and everything became possible tonight.
Max ends up right in front of me but he's just too quick. I try not to but hope starts slipping away.

Engineer: 3 laps to go. Come on Charles.
?: Pressure him. He'll have to make a mistake.
Charles: Y/n?
Y/n: Affirmative. You've got this bro! For papa, for Jules and for you.

Okay. Come on Max. Let's see what you've got.

As told, I pressure him. I glance to the area above the finish line and see the flag on the floor.

Last lap.

I'm so close to Max. Suddenly he loses the car. Or did I imagine that movement? Whatever it was it opened a gap.

Yes!

Crofty: Oh no! Max seems to have slipped! Charles takes the lead after chasing for a long time.
Max: Shit!
Engineer: What happened?
Max: Steering lock. I got it back but a moment too late.

It all happened so fast.
The Checkered flag out the corner of my eye.
Fireworks.
Cheering.

I did it?
I did it!

Y/n: CHARLES!! YOU'RE A FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPION!!
Charles: YES! COME ON!
Andrea: I knew you could do it. Enjoy this cool down lap. See you on the podium.

Enjoy this lap, I did. I'm really World Champion... I did it!