Securing a Chance

A/N: I'm so so sorry for my absence! It's been much longer than I had planned because University has taken up so much more time than expected. I will keep doing my best to post though. Thank you for the patience! I really appreciate it.
Xxx

The next morning was extremely busy. Everyone had gone to the track early for extra preparations and Y/n waited, bored, while the meetings went on.
She kept thinking back to Claudia's phone call. She needed to tell the guys because there wasn't much time left to do so but she'd wait until after the race. For now, she was walking with Pierre towards the garage.

Y/n: How you feeling?
Pierre: Good actually. I'm feeling ready.
Y/n: That's great!
Pierre: And you? You've been quiet since yesterday, so what's going on?
Y/n: I'm just nervous for Charles, obviously I want him to win but Max is also my friend...
Pierre: And I'm clearly not in the lineup
Y/n: Don't get sarcastic! Of course you are! You're my boyfriend and for that I want you to do great!
Pierre: Ah, but not win?
Y/n: Pierre Gasly-
Pierre: I'm kidding! I understand where you're coming from.
Y/n: So then you'll understand when I ask to watch in Charles' garage?
Pierre: Of course, go ahead. I'll see you after the race. Love you Chérie.
Y/n: Thank you! Love you too. Be safe!

She ran off to the Ferrari garage where she found Charles waiting as if he knew she would be coming.

Charles: Took you long enough
Y/n: What made you so sure I was coming in the first place?
Charles: You don't have it in you to not be here for me at such an important race.
Y/n: So you do know me.

Charles looked at her, raising an eyebrow, before laughing.

Charles: You're something Y/n
Y/n: Something awesome!

He pulled her in for a hug and left to get ready to race. Y/n made use of his preparation time to run next door to Red Bull. She searched for Max in the crowd and found him getting his helmet towards the back of the garage.

Y/n: Max?
Max: Summers?
Y/n: Yeah, I wanted to say good luck.
Max: Thanks. But don't think sucking up to me means I'll let Charles win.
Y/n: I'm not sucking up. I know you'll fight hard but may the best driver win.

She winked at him, giving a mischievous smile, before turning to walk away. Max's voice followed her out of the garage.

Max: Oh I will!

...When she returned she found Charlotte in the garage waiting eagerly by the screens.

Y/n: Char?!
Charlotte: No way! I haven't seen you in ages!
Y/n: Yeah, I've been in Milan but I'm coming back soon.
Charlotte: Milan?!
Y/n: I'm temporarily living with Pierre until we find a place together.
Charlotte: Wait what?! I've missed something! This is exactly why we need to catch up.
Y/n: As I said, I'm coming home soon.
Charlotte: How soon?
Y/n: I'll be back after Seattle which is hopefully next weekend.

She froze at her words. She never meant to let Seattle slip out.

Charlotte: Seattle? Why would you go there? You didn't take the job there, it's that online one is it not?
Y/n: It is online, yes but for some reason they want me to come in on Monday and will hold me until all the plans regarding my position are sorted out and finalized.
Charlotte: So you'll be there for a couple days? Like two or three surely?
Y/n: I don't know...
Charlotte: You'll be back soon, you'll see. You'll watch the last race here. Don't worry!
Y/n: Char... when I requested I be back by Saturday they said I need to remember my priorities and that finalizing can take up to a week given that it's a new position in the company entirely... I'm scared I miss it-

Charles: -Miss what?
Y/n: Miss you crossing the finish line first because I get distracted by something.
Charles: Thanks for the confidence in me but don't get too hopeful. Max is still quick. And you better not lose focus today, I have a feeling it's going to be a good one...
Charlotte: You worry too much love. You're still quicker than the Red Bulls.
Y/n: She's right and besides, what's a race without a decent fight? Just be safe okay?
Charles: Always

****
The race was long and after many frustrating and exciting moments, Charles managed to get the checkered flag first. It was extremely close right until the end and had he not pitted when he did Max would've caught him.

The swarm of red rushed out of the garage to the Ferrari now parking in front of the first place board. Charles was practically glowing with warmth and confidence. This win was just what he needed to secure a good fighting chance at becoming champion as he was now only a point behind Max.

When he got out the car he rushed over to everyone. The celebrations may have been seen as a bit extra given that it wasn't the final race but a win is a win and one of such circumstances is even greater.

***
The celebrations went on as per usual, ending in Champaign and trophies. Once the paddock had cleared a bit and the circuit was quiet, relieved of fans, Y/n went looking for Pierre. He hadn't done extremely well but he still managed to achieve points. She knew he'd be hard to talk to now but she had to tell him about tomorrow.
Y/n found her way into his motor home room and sat on the bed waiting for him to return. It was quiet for a moment before the door swung open and she stood up immediately.

Pierre: Y/n?
Y/n: Hey love.
Pierre: Not with Charles? He won, so you should go celebrate.
Y/n: I actually was wanting to know if you'd like to go back to the hotel and grab room service? I need to tell you something.

Pierre's expression changed. It grew worried.

Y/n: Everything is okay but I just need to let you know a few things.
Pierre: Okay. Then let's get going. I'll go grab my things and I'll meet you outside.
Y/n: Perfect.

She made her way to the door before stopping and turning around.
Y/n: Hey Pierre?
Pierre: Yes Chérie?
Y/n: You we're great out there today. You'll come back stronger next week.
Pierre approached her and gave her a gentle kiss.
Pierre: Thank you. I'll see you now okay?
Y/n: Yes, I'll go wait by the entrance...